Unable to find audio files from phone in full version

Pravin yadav
Go to solution Solved by maxmp,

Hi, 
I am based out of Indian and i purchased the full version without verifying if the tail works on not and I ma not stuck. App is unable to show any audio file from the phone memory or external SD card 

Environment: Android phone (Realme 6 pro , Model: RMX2061 ) running Android v11 with security update of March and April 2022 
App: Latest available today on PlayStore, the appInfo show version as version build-945-bundle-play for the original app and version build-307 for the full Version Un-locker. 

step1:

Music selection was not working for which i followed and was not able to solve

Step2: As suggested followed below link and still no luck

Step3: Adjusted "Ignore Short Tracks" to minimum value and disable ignore video tracks and did a FullRescan yet nothing was discovered. 

I have captured a video and the link for the same is https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11L3IIBA63mGEwmbI5DsWrBmWPsNPBEfe?usp=share_link

Please help. Thanks in advance 

• Solution

@Pravin yadav thanks for the detailed report. Poweramp works just fine on your device, but you probably confused by multiple file access methods available on Android and limitations associated with them.  It’s designed this specific way by Google anyway. Designed this way clearly to push users to use files less and cloud services more.

In your case just use Settings / Library / Music Folders and add your folders with the music. (You can’t add whole storage this way or Downloads/ folder, but you can add any other subfolders, including subfolders inside Downloads).

Thanks!

All of the items you have set for scanning are using File Access Legacy Mode, which should still work for you but clearly is not in this case, probably related to assigning permissions incorrectly. I would suggest you try using the regular mode, as per the info in the FAQ you referenced, which can be activated by turning off the File Access Legacy Mode option in PA Settings=>Misc. Then remove everything from the Music Folders list (you may need to leave a single folder to avoid PA objecting to an empty list) and rescan.

Or you could just clear App Data for Poweramp via your Android settings and start from fresh. As this is a new install there's nothing to be lost that way, and it's the cleanest method short of doing a full uninstall/reinstall.

Then in the now-empty Music Folders list, tap Enable for your SD Card and open one folder on that card and grant access to it by tapping 'Use This Folder'. DO NOT try to choose the top level of the card, select instead a folder that contains music (and/or other subfolders of music). Then allow the scan to process that folder.

If you need to add other folders that's fine, but honestly the most logical way to organise your music tidily is to have just one overall top-level folder per storage (e.g. "My Music") which you enable for access, and everything should be stored in subfolders inside it.

Andre

@maxmp Oh i got it now. so all the audio files has to be in a specific folder. I was under assumption that we need to provide root level access and it will scan and keep adding new audio file in the app. This seems to be a restriction in such a great application. Being from a technical background i can understand the below statement and this seems to be true for every cloud provided. 

On 1/27/2023 at 10:42 PM, maxmp said:

It’s designed this specific way by Google anyway

I just have a tinny suggestion, why not take permission to access the storage and scan and update the playlist in app. I am not aware of android development but know it will require some additional permission, then maybe we can think of keeping it configurable and those who want this can use it. This seem like new feature to me. I will be very happy if i can be of any help here. This would be the least i ca do for such a amazing community of fellow developers  

1 minute ago, Pravin yadav said:

I just have a tinny suggestion, why not take permission to access the storage and scan and update the playlist in app. I am not aware of android development but know it will require some additional permission, then maybe we can think of keeping it configurable and those who want this can use it.

Feel free to share this with Google. It is there design that has restricted file access in recent versions of Android unfortunately.

12 hours ago, MotleyG said:

Feel free to share this with Google. It is there design that has restricted file access in recent versions of Android unfortunately.

@MotleyG what is going to happen if I share this with google? They must have changed it in a major version and by developing any android application you accept that you will adhere to there changes. They are the creator of API and  owns Android , so i think they are  doing what they think is good for them. However at this side I think its a very basic feature that is missing in such a wonderful application.
From a user perspective its s fair ask that the app should be able to detect addition/deletion of audio files which is manual now nd 
error-prone

10 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@Pravin yadav I don’t think that “basic feature” to access files is missing from Poweramp as indeed it can access files on all supported Android versions.

Oh of course. I am saying auto detection of added and  deleted audio files that all the free audio/video player app is doing and such a powerful premium app with all complicated features does not have that feature and the justification is that Google changes its architecture in a major various (which they can do anytime).

I am not aware if that has been the state of the app earlier. If this has been always like this then maybe i am taking about new features here 

1 hour ago, Pravin yadav said:

I am saying auto detection of added and  deleted audio files that all the free audio/video player app is doing and such a powerful premium app with all complicated features does not have that feature

Poweramp can indeed detect any added, changed, or deleted audio files. However as with any modern Android app which plays by Google's rules to work with its latest builds, the user first needs to grant access permission to the specific folder(s) in which you plan to store your music (which is a one-off task). Not to the whole of storage on the off chance there might be music scattered all over your device. That sort of overarching permission is no longer granted readily to apps, and the developer would need to prove its importance first - such as for a File Explorer or Backup app. 

Andre

2 hours ago, Pravin yadav said:

@MotleyG what is going to happen if I share this with google? They must have changed it in a major version and by developing any android application you accept that you will adhere to there changes. They are the creator of API and  owns Android , so i think they are  doing what they think is good for them. However at this side I think its a very basic feature that is missing in such a wonderful application.
From a user perspective its s fair ask that the app should be able to detect addition/deletion of audio files which is manual now nd 
error-prone

That's my point. Google has forced this change to all development moving forward, and Poweramp follows that design. So in order to have this work for you, simply enable the permissions for access to a specific subfolder that has all of your music. Then all will be handled as you would have experienced in the past. Access to the main root folder level is what is no longer permitted by Android, for your protection Google claims.