Output Choice

Mark Lee

Hi, sorry to go over this again but I can't get my head around which is better, sound almost the same. I use Samsung tablet Bluetooth to my hifi, all flat at pa as well as on the hifi, now the default comes up as audiotrack, but I can use opensl or aaudio, now is there any real difference between them, read opensl is the way to go if that's the case why is audiotrack selected as default, the aaudio upscales it to 96khz, confused is not the word, I need it simple so I can understand.

So guys what should I choose?

1 hour ago, Mark Lee said:

sound almost the same

I think you probably have your answer there. If you find that there is a perceivable difference, choose the one that sounds best to your ears. You already decided that as you music is 44.1kHz, you were going to stick with that throughout. Other than that, unless one method is causing problems on your setup, go with your ears.

Andre

1 hour ago, Mark Lee said:

...I use Samsung tablet Bluetooth...

It is highly unlikely you will perceive much difference regardless of the settings here. Between the Bluetooth software used in your tablet, and the version in your external equipment's Bluetooth receiver, there are far more influences at play here. I would stick to the version that works best when you are using the local device settings for headphones for simplicity. But that choice will be up to you based on your listening preference. 

42 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Thanks. I think I'm getting hung up on all the choices, just really wondered why one is chosen over the other.

Honestly, it's more a case of trying to offer every option going - and some do work better than others for specific devices and/or Android versions.

But like the Emperor's New Clothes, if you can't honestly tell the difference in a double-blind test, does it matter? 

Andre

Thanks. Guess that if it's selected as default somebody must think this is best. I least I've got everything else sorted so can play with audiotrack and opensl, can I ask which would you choose and why? Have looked on Google and quite a few views are opensl but don't explain in simple terms why that is.

Here's where I read an article on here, Poweramp setting, the Russian one,

AudioTrack Output (Java based) is something that users put up with throughout the early versions of Android. It is highly discouraged to use such sound output. The sound is controlled by Java software with huge latencies.

OpenSL ES Output (Native optimized) - OpenSL ES accelerated audio output. What works on most smartphones, this output is active by default in the player. Why is it so good? It is optimized for hardware and low-level software, in other words, it works with lower latencies and with acceptable sound quality at the output.

Unquote

@Mark Lee there are no latency difference and anything like this - both APIs are wrappers around the same functionality in android. OpenSL is preferred on most devices just due to (very minor) battery related optimization (not even noticeable on the modern devices). Some OEMs are manage to break OpenSL sometimes, and AudioTrack may have a bit more features such as hi-res support for BT.

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2022 at 8:30 AM, Mark Lee said:

Hi, sorry to go over this again but I can't get my head around which is better, sound almost the same. I use Samsung tablet Bluetooth to my hifi, all flat at pa as well as on the hifi, now the default comes up as audiotrack, but I can use opensl or aaudio, now is there any real difference between them, read opensl is the way to go if that's the case why is audiotrack selected as default, the aaudio upscales it to 96khz, confused is not the word, I need it simple so I can understand.

So guys what should I choose?

If you have AAuido Output available, I would most definitely use that option. Especially if you are streaming over Bluetooth to some high-quality speakers or a soundbar that supports HD Audio such as LDAC, AptX-HD, etc. The 96KHz sampling "opens up" the dynamic range of the music and you'll start to hear cymbal "hits", the guitar pick striking the the strings, etc. Especially noticeable when you have EQ properly applied. But otherwise, as others have said, use what YOUR ears tell you sounds "good", but don't be afraid to play around and try new things. Music is AWESOME, well EQ'd music will blow your MIND!

@MoPhoMike you are right, I prefer Aaudio because it sounds better to me, I use Samsung galaxy m51, the problem is when I select Aaudio output, whenever I make or receive call, via cellular or WhatsApp, music will mute, (no sound) I have to change the output to Hi-Res then back again to Aaudio. 

So right now, I use Hi-Res output to save myself from changing output now and then. 

1 minute ago, Bencherished said:

@MoPhoMike you are right, I prefer Aaudio because it sounds better to me, I use Samsung galaxy m51, the problem is when I select Aaudio output, whenever I make or receive call, via cellular or WhatsApp, music will mute, (no sound) I have to change the output to Hi-Res then back again to Aaudio. 

So right now, I use Hi-Res output to save myself from changing output now and then. 

Hmmm.. I was just searching for a solution to that VERY problem. I think we need to post this in the bug section!! I wasn't sure WHAT was causing the issue, but I know it only happens when a Bluetooth device is handling the audio.!! Ive tried turning Ducking and any settings related to "calls" to no effect. I usually end up having to force stop PA, then resume audio. Not ideal when your on a motorcycle or driving in a car..

@MoPhoMike please which phone do you have? I am suspecting it's Samsung galaxy problem, because this was also happening with my Samsung galaxy m30, and it's related to Bluetooth out I guess. 

It is very clear to hear the difference between Aaudio output from the rest, from separation of instruments to 3D like sound stage. 

I'm on a Razer Phone2. Rooted with Magisk and AptX-AptX-HD Codecs applied via modules and build.prop edits. Also have Dolby DTS baked into ROM. It's not Samsung only. This has strictly to do with the AAudio output. Prior to it being implemented in there was no issue. Also, before that, I was able to us Hi-Res to get 24Bit/192KHz sampling, but now Hi-Res only give 16Bit/48KHz, no matter WHAT I try.

EDIT: Going back through my setup, I found that build.props that I modified didn't actually "apply". Additionally, there is a file in the /vendor/overlay folder that disables AptX/Aptx-HD which I failed to remove. I now have Hi-Res WORKING!! I'll post a link to the Razer Channel on XDA forums show what was required to at least get AptX working, HOWEVER: This likely WILL NOT work on a Samsung device. Additionally youe MUST be rooted to get access to the root folder to modify the build.prop file and delete the overlay .apk that disables HD audio.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/aptx-in-stock-rom.3951825/#post-79963707

Edited by MoPhoMike