What skins do people use.

Mark Lee

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, heidl said:

Or, you could listen to this criticism and add good-looking buttons, sliders etc. to the skin. Just sayin...

As @flyingdutchman said, that's a personal choice. His skin has several design options, but if you personally don't like them then you need to be "just sayin" why - and how they need to be different in order to be "good-looking" to fulfil your own desires. None of us are mind-readers.

Andre

5 hours ago, heidl said:

Or, you could listen to this criticism and add good-looking buttons, sliders etc. to the skin. Just sayin...

Or you could drop this ongoing BS and move on. You made it clear here several times that you prefer a skin that does all the work for you and has a certain look. That isn't what the YAPS skin does. So don't use it. YAPS is not for everyone and obviously not you either. No different than why people choose Poweramp versus other music players on Android. It is a choice. Just sayin…

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

As @flyingdutchman said, that's a personal choice. His skin has several design options, but if you personally don't like them then you need to be "just sayin" why - and how they need to be different in order to be "good-looking" to fulfil your own desires. None of us are mind-readers.

Andre

Based on the screenshots in this thread and my own experience, I think YAPS primarily lacks modern design aesthetics. Specifically speaking, skeuomorphic icons, buttons and backgrounds, sometimes with a gloss or reflections texture. IMHO that style was trending at the end of the 2010s, around the time Apple introduced the iPhone 4, in case that helps. Current design ideologies follow a less-is-more concept, e.g. rather muted colors or at least limited color palettes that appear homogeneous. Subtle shades or semi-transparent, overlapping elements. But as PA doesn't supports transparency out-of-the-box, some of these things could be accomplished with pre-designed GUI elements.

Also, some icons look blurry or pixelated to me, which may be due to the fact that users are allowed to scale them freely, I don't know.

I also find that the chosen fonts and font sizes often don't go together and create an unbalanced appearance.

Perhaps these things have all become obsolete since I last tested the skin. But that's my thoughts on the subject anyway. I'm not even sure if the dev is interested. If the app looks exactly how he wants it to look, fine for me. But maybe YAPS would appeal to more users and could even increase the user base if improvements like these were considered. 

@flyingdutchman I re-read my earlier comment and admit that it may have come across as a bit rude, I apologize. But please don't paint all YAPS averse users as if the app is just “too much” for them, because that's not the reason, at least in my case.

1 hour ago, MotleyG said:

Or you could drop this ongoing BS and move on. You made it clear here several times that you prefer a skin that does all the work for you and has a certain look. That isn't what the YAPS skin does. So don't use it. YAPS is not for everyone and obviously not you either. No different than why people choose Poweramp versus other music players on Android. It is a choice. Just sayin…

I indeed don't use it, as you surely can imagine. Nevertheless, I think I'm allowed to criticize.

@heidl That's rather the point of YAPS, it's configurable. You can choose from a range of icons, colours, fonts, and sizes which work for you. Personally I much prefer skeuomorphic designs (Google's Material elements are one of the worst things that happened to Android, everything became flat and hard to distinguish between adjacent buttons, links, and simple text) but ironically I actually use a pretty flat minimalist layout in PA with YAPS.

image.png

image.png

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2024 at 10:07 PM, MavRik said:

Pls why do skins not work for Poweramp settings section but work everywhere else? 

what do you mean? like why arent there different text colours in the settings? 

i personally dont care if the skin does not change anything in the settings because it needs to be easily read and all

On 8/31/2024 at 3:02 PM, ChildOfTheMoon said:

im currently using something called "Improved" by giannisgx89

its pretty basic tbh but i like it.

K8mdn0e.jpeg   Ikc7Hko.jpeg   F9OelJo.jpeg 

YkKR4TE.jpeg   kyhrvTh.jpeg

since this previous post, ive noticed there was an update available to the skin and now i like it a lot more, i just need to fiddle with the settings more. sometimes, the amount of settings in PA and the different skins can be overwhelming

Screenshot_20240915-121836_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20240915-121840_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20240915-121845_Poweramp.jpg

Screenshot_20240915-121937_Poweramp.jpg

Edited by ChildOfTheMoon