Increase Volume Levels no longer works on Android 12/ One UI 4.0

dackle
Go to solution Solved by maxmp,

I am using a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and after updating to android 12 I can no longer use the volume levels feature without being inside of the app. When outside of the app the volume constantly turns up when I go to turn it down with volume levels enabled.

First, please make sure you are using the latest build of Poweramp (currently 920) as various Android 12 updates have been added from build 912.

If this was an in-place update to Android 12, Poweramp will already have saved its required settings for 11 before the update. Try resetting the audio settings using Restore Defaults.

You can also reset the whole app back to defaults by clearing Androids's app data If necessary. Export/backup everything before you do that though (Settings >Export and tick everything) then you can restore some of the other aspects of your setup later if you wish.

Andre

• Solution

@dackle Unfortunately this functionality (volume control with rockers in specific scenarios) was disabled by Google in Android 12 due to Sonos patent lawsuit. I would suggest disabling custom levels for now (build 921 does this on update).

Google promises to add workaround to 12L, though it’s not in 12L beta yet, so I can’t confirm.

2 hours ago, maxmp said:

@dackle Unfortunately this functionality (volume control with rockers in specific scenarios) was disabled by Google in Android 12 due to Sonos patent lawsuit. I would suggest disabling custom levels for now (build 921 does this on update).

Google promises to add workaround to 12L, though it’s not in 12L beta yet, so I can’t confirm.

Wow, a patent on volume control. I’m amazed at what can be patented today, things we have been using as a general idea for decades. Maybe door knobs are next?🥴

4 hours ago, MotleyG said:

Wow, a patent on volume control. I’m amazed at what can be patented today

This amazed me too. I thought the disputed Sonos patents were all related to controlling multiple synced external speakers at the same time, including by using the phone's volume control. I didn't know altering the number of available volume steps for internal/headset use was something that was even patentable.

Andre

I assume this change will also impact PA's ability to independently process long-press events on volume keys for changing tracks too?

Which reminds me, a while back I asked if Android's extended volume key functionality provided full button-down and button-up events? I would love for the customised +/- volume key feature on my three-button headset to optionally be able to provide press-and-hold Fast-Forward and Rewind controls, rather than just Next Track and Previous Track (which I already have via double- and triple-tap on the middle 'hook' button).

Andre

@andrewilley volume long presses continue to work as usual on Android 12.

The volume keys are reported only when your app is on foreground. When the app is in background, some other active app handles volume keys (e.g. launcher or lockscreen), by default it just passes event to the system which processes it and changes volume. Thus, background app has no direct access to any key events at all, only volume change event via like 4-5 different APIs (broadcast intents, MediaSession events, MediaSession2 events, MediaRouteProvider, VolumeProvider, etc.).

The Android 12 disabled partially that background volume functionality, so the background volume events were not handled at all. Later Google added workaround for the Chromecast volume (or remote streams volume in general), but unfortunately, simple volume events are still in chaos for other use cases, such as just listening to the volume changes for actions or the extended volume levels as Poweramp does.

From the issue tracker link I posted above it's visible that the assigned Google contact doesn't understand Android has other background volume keys usage scenarios beyond Chromecast (remote audio stream) volume - but I hope he/she will understand that occasionally under Android developers community pressure.

Edit: I would add Google kind of recognizes the issue (https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/201546605#comment156), but it's not clear if or when they are going to fix it, as Google do not use this functionality in their products.

So could that long-press volume key feature optionally do other things too - such as Fast Forward or Rewind for as long as the key is depressed, for example? I know it would only work when PA is not the current app, or when the screen is off, but that would be perfect for when you are not actually using the main interface - such as at night or while out walking.

Andre

• 1 year later...

I never got round to re-visiting this thread, but I would still love an optional setting to use continued long-press on the volume keys (especially when using my headset cable buttons) for Rewind and Fast-Forward actions for as long as the button is pressed.

I can already skip tracks forward or backward with double-press and triple-press on the middle button, so it would be nice if long-pressing on the volume buttons could offer something different.

Andre