Cubot Note 7 might be performance incompatible with PA

Kloppstock

Various perf problems that manifest itself as freeze where i cannot press any button inside PA interface until it will release after 35 seconds

This re-apears while im listening! and then PA will at random go silent in the middle of a track and when it release the freeze it ends with the message "failed to  play" and i must restart the track and it will work again

I have even consulted Cubot about general performance leaks on the phone, and they recomended me to wire brush my mobile phone and install the latest perf update https://www.cubot.net/platform/Support/detail/id/477/cid/53.html

which i did, but the problem came back in Poweramp with this phone

Sometimes the error show itself as this also after a freeze.

Screenshot_20211203-104355.thumb.png.a2a39c2cbee4b60745d40176d0d51ddd.png

I have disabled every suspect app i can spare but the problem persist, and there is no need to enter safe mode, cause certain apps i must keep, and if they in silence create this lagg i will not do anything about it anyway,

But it can possible be PA that creates lagg that affect the entire phone, rather than the opposite

PA build 906-911

Phone: Cubot Note 7

Android Version: 10

Obviously Poweramp doesn’t kill itself, so the solution to the problem lies outside of the player. The popup describes the issue, have you tried allowing app to work in background? 
Also, try to dump log from the device (can be done via phone Developer options / Full log). Send resulting zip to gpmaxmpz@gmail.com - and I’ll try to point to the issue. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 10:51 PM, maxmp said:

Obviously Poweramp doesn’t kill itself, so the solution to the problem lies outside of the player. The popup describes the issue, have you tried allowing app to work in background? 
Also, try to dump log from the device (can be done via phone Developer options / Full log). Send resulting zip to gpmaxmpz@gmail.com - and I’ll try to point to the issue. Thanks!

I created 8 full reports in a row i failed to send :) beacuse the alternative to upload to google drive generated a pending status only, i have no idea how to make bluetooth manualy start its upload?

Wifi is activated also so it coudl have choosen it, and it should upload to G-drive even though i have no Wifi-network to connect to...but it did not. What have i missunderstand exept everything? :)

Anyway i managed to send it by mail , look for bugreport-NOTE_7_EEA-QP1A.190711.020-2021-12-27-22-16-40.zip

and see what you can find, and report back to this thread.

Regards Kloppstock

• 2 weeks later...

I have only seen the black-screen when having PA active as a  main window, its possible that this blackscreen is not the cause, rather the phones symtomatic responce to slow processes?

One other option is, somethimes this phone gets so laggy that you need to restart the phone, and upon startup the phone looses contact with the SD-card "failed to read SD-card" it claims intially,

but after that a new process start that will integrate the SD card, however if this phone have a problem with SD-card, it possible it affects the music i have on the SD-card that is loaded inside PA,

so that PA becomes the symtom of a SD-card read-incompatability, but the SD-card is bran new, so its hard to proov this theory

Screenshot_20220110-182555.thumb.png.eb3a6d083f44c1a86e932176a6b0e22a.png

@Kloppstock Poweramp definitely may point to faulty sd-card as Poweramp reads a lot of information during scan, it basically touches and scans each audio file as set in Music Folders. Normal operations may never show the symptoms as nothing touches those files.

So you can try to reset Poweramp data and select very narrow set of (preferable fresh/just created/uploaded) Music Folders on _internal_ storage, not sd card - just to ensure sd-card issues are not affecting it.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:30 PM, maxmp said:

@Kloppstock Poweramp definitely may point to faulty sd-card as Poweramp reads a lot of information during scan, it basically touches and scans each audio file as set in Music Folders. Normal operations may never show the symptoms as nothing touches those files.

So you can try to reset Poweramp data and select very narrow set of (preferable fresh/just created/uploaded) Music Folders on _internal_ storage, not sd card - just to ensure sd-card issues are not affecting it.

1. Ok i will try, thou i wanna ask you if you got my full-report?  did it cover any of the symtoms described here? even though it may not have revealed what caused it,

2 The problem is that i dont know how to acces internal storage on Cubot Note 7 through USB on this PC, My english is to crappy to determine the difference from this 2 modes https://www.cubot.net/platform/Support/faq_detail/id/80.html so i don know what i chosed when i formated this SD-card recentley, but i chosed the alternative that to me sounded most like i could acces both SD and internal memory if need, but apperently not...cause  i notice that choosing " file-transfer" opens SD-card as the only alternative. 

And PTP mode is only camera right? so it cant be that.   How can i access internal memory from here? 

3. When you say reset Poweramp data? is that a setting inside PA i have not spotted yet?, i just searched again...or do you mean something like clearing cache through phone/apps/PA

4. If i wanna test uninstall PA and re-download it, will it delete all traces so that i must re-import M3U8 files?

Edited by Kloppstock

2) Just copy a few audio files within the device itself, using a file explorer app to copy from SD Card to internal memory - even the default one provided with the device. Then change PA Settings > Library > Music Folders to point to that new location instead of your SD Card. If you can copy from your PC though all the better, as you know there's no potential corruption of the files.

3) Clear app data (not just the cache) in Android Settings > Apps. This will remove all settings, internal playlists, ratings, etc. Please backup settings and export any internal playlists first. Ideally, if you are using the latest PA build 921, use the new PA Settings > Backup Settings/Data feature, then you can later restore elements separately if you want.

4) M3U8 playlist files will re-scan automatically once they are found in any location that PA is permitted to scan for music.

Andre

17 hours ago, andrewilley said:

2) Just copy a few audio files within the device itself, using a file explorer app to copy from SD Card to internal memory - even the default one provided with the device. Then change PA Settings > Library > Music Folders to point to that new location instead of your SD Card. If you can copy from your PC though all the better, as you know there's no potential corruption of the files.

3) Clear app data (not just the cache) in Android Settings > Apps. This will remove all settings, internal playlists, ratings, etc. Please backup settings and export any internal playlists first. Ideally, if you are using the latest PA build 921, use the new PA Settings > Backup Settings/Data feature, then you can later restore elements separately if you want.

4) M3U8 playlist files will re-scan automatically once they are found in any location that PA is permitted to scan for music.

Andre

(2) Its not possible (File Manager +) the SD-card have by my earlier action-choice merged together with internal storage to instead become "Main storage" at 31.9 Gb (SD-card) If i remove the SD-card from the unit there is no files at all to browse, and takeing a screenshot cannot be saved cause there is no storage available if the SD-card is removed, i wish this operation could be undone without the need to reformatation of SD-card, i dont understand anything of this article https://www.howtogeek.com/242937/how-to-set-up-a-new-sd-card-in-android-for-extra-storage/

3) Allright i didnt dare to do that before.

4) I know that, it just that if it deletes the file-list upon uninstall i must make a new safecopy of my playlist by exporting M3U8-files to SD-card

and safe copy it to PC! before i dare to let it scan the SD-card

Edited by Kloppstock

1) Merging two sets of memory always seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, and prone to issues if either the device or the card die. The reason I have an SD Card is to add extra capacity to the device as a secondary storage medium, not to somehow expand the size of the main system memory.

4) PA's scanner should NEVER delete files (audio files or playlists) without permission. It may not be able to process them - for example if it can't find the folder/filename combination referred to by an M3U8 playlist file it may just show placeholders - but it should never delete the original file. That said, I would never discourage anyone from keeping backups, it's always good policy.

Andre

21 hours ago, andrewilley said:

1) Merging two sets of memory always seems a bit counter-intuitive to me, and prone to issues if either the device or the card die. The reason I have an SD Card is to add extra capacity to the device as a secondary storage medium, not to somehow expand the size of the main system memory.

1: I agree, so what will happend if i re-format this SD-card now? when i tested remove the SD-card it seems like all apps are stil located on internal memory, its just that i cant store anything there.

So i guess nothing will change? if i backup all music/playlists/pictures before wiping

2. So when this question will return to me upon formatation 

img_56c7da300229c.png.3f02a4b3ef460b37f52e897d879cc803.png

If i this time instead should choose "Use as internal memory" it must stil be able to load the SD-card when i insert into USB-port? 

And if so then have no idea instead? how i can swap to browse internal memory when inserting it into the same USB-port

Or if its saying yes to this action below that will make browsing internal memory impossible again?

img_56c7da87e768e32232323.png.d4f8b5a7b9857bc46dc7c2e5fb2176b2.png

My recall is though that this phone without a SD-card will not browse internal memory and thoose 559 mb at deafult upon inserted into USB-port,

Does China phones take for granted you will acces internal mem by a free File Manager? and that its not possible to browse it through USB?

Edited by Kloppstock

On 1/12/2022 at 6:44 PM, andrewilley said:

I cant get out of this trap even though i know its slighly off-topic, its to much meassure to find another forum and get them to see this whole pic,

i have to correct myself though, the SD-card is stil formated as Portable storage. As i understand it its just that i gave away 559 mb of storage internaly to the SD card,

thats not the same as "Adopt a MicroSD Card as Internal Storage" right?

img_56c7da87e768e32232323.png.d4f8b5a7b9
But its now impossible  to save a screenshot to internal memory, and its impossible to move back the 556 mb from SD-card to internal mem with this function "Migrate data"

img_56c7daff6f4fc.png?trim=1,1&bg-color=

So all i can do is to "format as portable"  (its already portable)... is it fair to guess that if i choose

"format as portable" it will delete the memory of the SD-card as "Main storage", but will that really set internal memory back to deafult save location again?

or do they force me to factory reset the phone you think?

Edited by Kloppstock

https://www.cubot.net/platform/Support/faq_detail/id/80.html

If your Android Settings > Storage shows two separate items (internal and SD Card) with two separate total and available space figures, then I would have thought that shows that you have the SD Card set up as portable storage. Easy way to 100% confirm would be to remove it and see if you can read it using a PC card reader/slot.

Andre

On 1/17/2022 at 11:46 PM, andrewilley said:

If your Android Settings > Storage shows two separate items (internal and SD Card) with two separate total and available space figures, then I would have thought that shows that you have the SD Card set up as portable storage. Easy way to 100% confirm would be to remove it and see if you can read it using a PC card reader/slot.

Andre

Great thank you, well it did not load into the PC-card reader slot, but could stil be browsed on USB,  i did not notice until now that the "SD-card loaded" logotype inside the active phone OS was gone even though the card was present inside, so i decided i was forced to perform formatation on the card and cleaned all PA-data. Obviosly the storage was splitted cause OS survied

But now theSD-card loaded logo is back after formatation, also the internal memory can now be browsed in USB-transfer mode side by side with SD-card for the first time ever, I have reloaded my playlists succesfully...PA have done a new calculation on the amount of files within the primary playlist, until recentley it was 3000+ files....now its reduced to 2700 items all of a sudden while the music file-folders are identical as they where some hours ago". So i could guess that the intermediate misscalculation could be part of the former SD-card lagg-problem that i would now suspect is improved? even though i talk way ahead of my time, if no lagg happens tomorrow i will not sound the horn just mark this topic as solution found

Edited by Kloppstock

On 1/10/2022 at 8:30 PM, maxmp said:

On 1/17/2022 at 11:46 PM, andrewilley said:

Andre

Unfortently i could not mark this as solution have been found as i had hoped,  atleast the "Failed to play" problem have returned

And this guide aint gonna help me, been there done that, 1 % of this type of youtube guides work, any other suggestions lads?

No, that guide won't help at all. It basically says reboot phone, update everything, and uninstall/reinstall Poweramp and/or clear app data. Good general steps for any errors, but you are far beyond that point now.

Now you have got the SD Card and internal memory properly separated, try putting some known-good songs onto a folder in internal memory, point PA's Music Folders menu to just that location, and see if the problem still exhibits itself there.

When you unlinked the merged internal memory and SD Card, did you then do a clean reformat of the SD Card at that point? Then copy all the music files back onto it from your computer. If not, that would also be something to try, as everything you have said points to the SD Card not reading correctly (or fast enough).

Andre

On 1/21/2022 at 12:10 AM, andrewilley said:

No, that guide won't help at all. It basically says reboot phone, update everything, and uninstall/reinstall Poweramp and/or clear app data. Good general steps for any errors, but you are far beyond that point now.

Now you have got the SD Card and internal memory properly separated, try putting some known-good songs onto a folder in internal memory, point PA's Music Folders menu to just that location, and see if the problem still exhibits itself there.

When you unlinked the merged internal memory and SD Card, did you then do a clean reformat of the SD Card at that point? Then copy all the music files back onto it from your computer. If not, that would also be something to try, as everything you have said points to the SD Card not reading correctly (or fast enough).

Andre

Yes i did a SD-card format at that point, that was infact the factor that sepparated the internal memory to standalone

Yes the PA performance seem to be back the short time i tested without this Sandisc Ultra microSDHC: has a capacity of more than 2GB and up to 32GB and works in hardware that supports either SDHC and SDXC.

Cubot Note 7 Technical specifications microSD, microSDHC, microSDXC (up to 128 GB)Buy memory cardi

So no! i have not buyed an imcompatible card for this phone it seems. there was problem with the old SD card in this phone, but maybe not the same, therefore i purchased this Sandisc Ultra card and a problem percisted, and its not a phone problem either since Cubot agreed to send pgone for repair but gave me a new unit instead, but the SD-card problem returned for this card.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-mistakes-avoid-buying-next-microsd-card/

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/sd-application-speed-class/

Sandisc Ultra have this specifications SanDisk Ultra MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-l U1 A1 98MB/s 32GB

198 mb/sec is that enough?  for basicly only storing music,  after reading the guides i believe this is not a slow card, even if we believei had an faulty copy

im not going to gamble and buy a new from same brand, what do you recomomend?

SDSQUA4-032G-GN6MN.thumb.png.219e7f98462ea2a131dabea3b420b00e.png

Edited by Kloppstock

46 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

These cards work great, but aren’t immune to failure. It depends on usage conditions. But if it works for reading and writing from a PC that shouldn’t be the issue.

These SD-card was brand new when PA? started to have issues, i dont believe i have misstreated  :) this card.

i still need an advice what type of SD-card i shall repllace it with, cause i wanna try a new variant.

Edited by Kloppstock

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2022 at 12:50 AM, andrewilley said:

I mostly use Sandisk cards, but a new card just formatted should not be causing problems like this.

Andre

I did not order a Sandisk ;) i ordered a Exceria 32 gb, and the problem described in this thread have stopped with it, i can even have PA own file-scanner active again for 

the first time in years. So thank you all for co-operators in the thread.

So do you think we shall ever inform ;) the world that the youtube "How To Fix Poweramp Failed to Play File Error On Android Device" solution is incorrect.

And that all people must instead purchase a new SD-card rather fo fix it

Edited by Kloppstock