Storage permission issue in Android 12

FrosT2k5

When I select internal storage in Poweramp (Android 12 I have) , it just says "to protect your privacy, choose another folder" and I can't choose internal storage

So the auto scanner for internal storage doesn't work and I always have to add folders wenever I make one, which is annoying

Is there any workarounds for this? Thanks

Screenshot_20211120-194353_Files.png

It's Google idea of protecting people from themselves by making our personally owned devices less and less accessible, including restricting access to roots of storage areas. Exactly the opposite of the whole purpose of an operating system in fact.

I know Max has been working over the last few months on required changes to cope with Google's nonsense, but in the meantime I suspect the easiest solution would be to store all of your music in one master folder and grant access to it. You can then have as many subfolders inside that as you like.

Andre

It is probably not a good idea to access the entire root folder of the internal storage anyhow. It will take Poweramp much longer to scan through all of the non-music files for everything else if you do.

As suggested by @andrewilley I’d agree that at least having a Music main folder at a minimum would be ideal.

20 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

@MotleyG for android 10 and above, you cant select root folder. Poweramp just creates the illusion you select root but then just selects music and podcast. It would be better to be explicit

Yes understood. I was just suggesting that trying to point PA at a root drive in any storage isn’t really a good idea, regardless. No need to have to scan through any non-music files that will add to the total scan time.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Scott L said:

I'm having this issue after getting a Pixel 6 Pro.

I mainly listen to podcasts I download, but they all go to the set download folder. I can't figure out a way to change where they're downloaded to, so the app is basically unusable for me right now.

Can you move the file from the “Download” folder, to a separate “Podcast” folder that can be added to the Poweramp library?

Google is maddeningly placing further restrictions on app access to storage with every new release. I know Max is working on optimising this at the moment for the next release of PA, but it's an uphill battle.

For now, do what I do for podcasts and use a background app that watches for and copies the contents of download folders over to locations of your choosing. I currently use one called FolderSync, along with Podcast Addict as my podcatcher. The combination works well, so any newly downloaded podcasts get copied to individually named folders in my /MusicFolders/Podcasts/ folder on my SD Card.

Andre

19 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Google is maddeningly placing further restrictions on app access to storage with every new release. I know Max is working on optimising this at the moment for the next release of PA, but it's an uphill battle.

For now, do what I do for podcasts and use a background app that watches for and copies the contents of download folders over to locations of your choosing. I currently use one called FolderSync, along with Podcast Addict as my podcatcher. The combination works well, so any newly downloaded podcasts get copied to individually named folders in my /MusicFolders/Podcasts/ folder on my SD Card.

Andre

Thanks! I knew there was some workaround.

Downloading podcasts and then moving the files using a second app was the only way I could find to get the files to automatically end up in the specific folders that I wanted. I've yet to find a podcast downloader that would allow me to define my own individual download folder location for each different podcast. Takes a bit of fiddling to set up, but once done it just works in the background as a scheduled task.

Andre