Jump to content
PowerListener

Does Playlist Export Work?

Recommended Posts

I'm about to switch phones and have a very large playlist (4000+ tracks) that I just can't rebuild.  I'm trying to use the playlist export functionality but get a message at the bottom of my screen that says:

"Export playlists: 0"

If I select the playlist I want exported, the hamburger-menu is disabled; so, it seems you have to use playlist export without selecting a particular one.  Why the message though?  I've also set the target directory and found a file with zero bytes.  Am I a moron and doing something wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poweramp only exports in-app created playlists. If your playlists are file based (i.e. they have extension like .m3u8, etc.), they are already on the storage as files and won’t be exported. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Poweramp only exports in-app created playlists. If your playlists are file based (i.e. they have extension like .m3u8, etc.), they are already on the storage as files and won’t be exported. Thanks!

Where do I go to look for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

When you export, there is a lot of detail where it exports to, or you set your own target folder.

Please see the previous response in this thread.  I'm not getting anything exported because, apparently, the playlist is a file to start with.  I just want to know where it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PowerListener said:

Please see the previous response in this thread.  I'm not getting anything exported because, apparently, the playlist is a file to start with.

If the Playlist name that is displayed in the Library view ends with ".m3u" or ".m3u8" then that means the playlist in question was loaded from a file in the first place, and it will have been read from wherever you originally placed it on your device's storage. The first places I'd look would be in a 'Playlists' folders on either your device's internal storage or your SD Card. I don't know of any way for PA to display where that file was loaded from though - you can't do an Info/Tags display for a Playlist - but you could use a file explorer app to search for the filename. 

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 1:35 PM, flyingdutchman said:

Yes, so follow the link provided. It will take you to the default folder

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying the link on the Export page will take me to the correct page?  When mine comes up, the link is called "Playlists".  When I click that link, it simply takes me the root directory where I see several dozen directories but none called "Playlists".

Help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 1:43 PM, andrewilley said:

If the Playlist name that is displayed in the Library view ends with ".m3u" or ".m3u8" then that means the playlist in question was loaded from a file in the first place, and it will have been read from wherever you originally placed it on your device's storage. The first places I'd look would be in a 'Playlists' folders on either your device's internal storage or your SD Card. I don't know of any way for PA to display where that file was loaded from though - you can't do an Info/Tags display for a Playlist - but you could use a file explorer app to search for the filename. 

Andre

When I'm in Library View and select Playlists, I see my one Playlist.  It's called "N" (yeah, not a great name BUT I've only got one playlist).  Where should the extension be shown?  I don't see an extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PowerListener said:

When I'm in Library View and select Playlists, I see my one Playlist.  It's called "N" (yeah, not a great name BUT I've only got one playlist).  Where should the extension be shown?

If the content was loaded from a file, the playlist name would show as N.m3u8 the list, and PA's export function would not do anything with it as it is already a external file.

If the list just shows the name as simply 'N' then the playlist was generated (by you) within Poweramp itself, and it should get exported when you use the Playlists > Export function.

Note: the location that you choose to export to must already exist. I've just checked and if the specified folder does not exist, PA still report that the export succeeded, however the missing folder is not created and the export does not actually happen. Try changing the export folder to one that exists, or to the root of SD Card for example. 

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

If the content was loaded from a file, the playlist name would show as N.m3u8 the list, and PA's export function would not do anything with it as it is already a external file.

If the list just shows the name as simply 'N' then the playlist was generated (by you) within Poweramp itself, and it should get exported when you use the Playlists > Export function.

Note: the location that you choose to export to must already exist. I've just checked and if the specified folder does not exist, PA still report that the export succeeded, however the missing folder is not created and the export does not actually happen. Try changing the export folder to one that exists, or to the root of SD Card for example. 

Andre

I went to playlists, clicked the hamburger menu, clicked "Export".  The export window is up.  I clicked the "Target Folder" button to change directory to one that exists (Download).  I click "Export".  The bottom of the window says:

Exported playlists:0

I now open SolidExplorer to navigate to "Download".  There is a file called "N.m3u8" there but it has zero bytes.  I opened it with an file editor and there is truly nothing in it.

 

The way this all works is strange. If I had 10 playlists, would it try export them all?  If I select my one playlist, now the hamburger menu (and the export option) is gone.  How is this supposed to work?

 

HELP!  I'm desperate to get this to work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the Export function will export all internally-created Playlists to their own new files (it's a backup feature really, so it just copies them all to storage).

Could you post a screenshot of the view you see of the Playlists library category? Does this occur if you try to export to main device storage as well as to SD Card? (If only SD Card,  could there be a permissions issue?)

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Yes, the Export function will export all internally-created Playlists to their own new files (it's a backup feature really, so it just copies them all to storage).

Could you post a screenshot of the view you see of the Playlists library category? Does this occur if you try to export to main device storage as well as to SD Card? (If only SD Card,  could there be a permissions issue?)

Andre

Okay, this first screenshot is what I see in the Playlists library category.  The second screenshot is after choosing Export and after changing the target directory to Download. In the course of setting the directory to Download, I do get a prompt about giving permission for that directory (which I grant).  

My phone is a OnePlus 6t and doesn't have an SD Card, only internal memory.

 

 

 

Screenshot_20200624-122152.jpg

Screenshot_20200624-122242.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was guessing your problem might be the excessive size of the playlist (4,000+ songs?) but I just tried creating one of that size and it exported OK.

Could you try giving it a more meaningful name, as I just tried naming a Playlist as 'B' and it didn't export for some reason.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I was guessing your problem might be the excessive size of the playlist (4,000+ songs?) but I just tried creating one of that size and it exported OK.

Could you try giving it a more meaningful name, as I just tried naming a Playlist as 'B' and it didn't export for some reason.

Andre

I changed the playlist name to "Nice" and THAT WORKED!!!! It exported!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great, glad we got it sorted.

@maxmp could you take a look sometime into why single-character internal playlist names do not seem to export to files correctly. Thanks.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...