Poweramp randomly skips to the next song. Bug report in app has no text box.

Nazo

I recently did an update after a very long time (so unfortunately I can't identify exactly what version I had before or where exactly this started.)  Ever since that update Poweramp has been just randomly skipping to the next song while playing.  As far as I can tell it does so at a completely random point.  It can be after playing for an hour, then suddenly skip and a few songs later suddenly skip again or even skip once then wait an hour to skip again.  Once it even skipped in the middle of two songs in a row.  As far as I can really tell it seems to be random.

At this point I pretty much only use Poweramp in Bluetooth mode, so I can't really verify if it does this while playing normally or not.  However, it has done it on multiple Bluetooth devices -- one, my car, and the other a little BT speaker.  My watch is connected to my phone and offers play controls, so at first I thought maybe I was bumping them or something, though that's rather hard to do, but one time when it skipped I was looking at my watch and it was in ambient mode (meaning no touches on the screen for long enough for it to switch.)  The watch doesn't show anything unusual when this happens -- as far as it knows Poweramp did this on its own.

It probably goes without saying, but it didn't do this before that recent update. 

Also, I tried to report this via the app's own bug report and got the screen below:  

Screenshot_20191004-224334.thumb.png.2096e935beb4d68979687c30a1b78a09.png

There are no boxes visible to type in.  The next button seems to do nothing, but when I put in something just trying to see if text would go in anywhere then the next button works (so I apologize for sending a bug report that said "--".)  If there is only one box then I could have typed blindly perhaps, but I didn't really know if there might be more that needed to be put in, so I thought it would be better to use this forum.

Thanks for the report. Feedback form fixed for the next build. As for skipping tracks, please share one or two of such tracks (gpmaxmpz@gmail.com) - preferable from the device itself. (As track can be OK on the computer or Internet, but not fully uploaded/broken on the device). Thanks!

Ok.  I'll see what I can do on that.  Don't worry about files being different btw.  I transfer the files over via SFTP (Servers Ultimate Pro offers this among others and I frequently find it to be very useful for a number of things including being able to transfer files wirelessly without dealing with MTP drivers or etc.)  They're completely untouched from their original.

It seems like maybe it's happening only on my M4A (AAC) files, but I can't really say for certain if it's definitely exclusively those.  It's not all M4As either but very very few.  I'll try to go through and see what I can find while I have time, but certainly M4A can be more "advanced" in packaging than many audio formats since it's a generic container not specific to audio.  I do want to add that it definitely worked with these same exact files before I updated the app that time however and I can listen in Foobar2000/etc on my PC with the same files just fine.  I'm seeing multiple AAC profiles (HE and LC) so it's not specific to one.  My guess is it's the container, but I can't see why since they seems to check out fine and never had troubles before.

EDIT:  I'm not sure, but I think the bars on the bottom that show the current play position actually show the full song on the ones that it stops short on.  I've noticed them indicating quiet parts that were quite loud and vice versa.

EDIT2:  I forgot to do the full rescan before.  I just did it now.  Interestingly the songs that cut short now show the full length in the file list, however, when actually playing still cut short.

19 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Is it always the same songs that skip? So for example when it skips, if you go backwards a few tracks does the same song skip again? Have you tried a FULL Rescan in Settings > Library (bottom of that menu).

Andre

Sorry it took so long to respond.  Since the problem is rather sporadic it was difficult to reproduce.  (To make things worse, if it happens while I'm driving I've usually forgotten by the time I get where I'm going.)  When it did it most recently I did remember to go back and see and it did, in fact, skip again.  While I remembered one of the songs it did it on I went back and listened with headphones instead of Bluetooth.  Not only did it still do it, but since I was looking at it, when I went back I noticed that the track length was way off.  It showed 1:19 instead of the correct 4:56 length of that particular song.

4 hours ago, Nazo said:

While I remembered one of the songs it did it on I went back and listened with headphones instead of Bluetooth.  Not only did it still do it, but since I was looking at it, when I went back I noticed that the track length was way off.  It showed 1:19 instead of the correct 4:56 length of that particular song.

If there isn't any general corruption (you could try copying the file again from your PC, just to be sure) then it sounds like some sort of issue with the tags not being read correctly from the files. You could try re-tagging one one on them on your PC to see if that helps (tagging is notoriously poorly standardised, and what works on one program may be just a tiny bit off-spec for another). Please also send a couple of the original problem files to Max as he may well be able to create a work-around.

Andre

I already sent an e-mail with something.

First I transferred the file over from the phone to my PC and verified that it definitely works.  (There really should be no way corruption could have occurred anyway, but I think this verifies it did not.)  I forced the file to retag via MP3Tag (what I usually use -- it supports quite a large number of formats despite the name) and it had the same effect -- still cuts off at the same point.  Just to be sure I even tried remuxing it into a new package.  Same result.  I have to assume the possibility there could be something like maybe an error in the audio stream, but everything else (including the earlier version of Poweramp) handles it just fine.  I don't hear any "chirps" or anything in the audio when listening on anything else, but perhaps AAC handles errors more gracefully than MP3 does.  Hopefully he'll see something in what I sent to explain it.  

PS.  This forum really really hates letting me log in.  It logs me out every time then when I try to log back in it won't accept my password.  Just to double check I even manually logged out after a password reset and tried to log back in and it rejected the password I had just typed in the reset (I can forget stuff quickly, but not THAT quickly!)  I may have to just start going anonymous or something on responses.  The password requirements were so high I couldn't even remember my own password (why is it so high for a product support/faq/suggestions/etc forum?) at first so thought it was just me, but I was getting suspicious that I still couldn't seem to remember this time and tried it.  I have no clue why it wouldn't accept the password I had just used moments before...

@Nazo thanks for the file. This file has conflicting duration set for stream (audio content=2:11) and file overal (=4:27). Poweramp uses ffmpeg decoder to decode this and it won't play beyond stream indicated duration. Same for iTunes. Foobar2000 ignores stream duration and plays whole content, which is actually 4:27.

Making decoder a bit more resilient to incorrect files like this is a good thing, but it may break number of other tracks, so I do that with extra care. Added to TODO list.

• 3 weeks later...

So as a bit of an update, I guess it's actually cutting ALL of my M4As short.  Initially I guess I was mostly just testing the ones it was showing a short time on in the file list because somehow I didn't notice, but over the time since I posted this thread, while driving, I've noticed it cutting short everything that I at least knew was a M4A -- far more than just the handful I initially thought it was.

I'd really like to know if there isn't some way I can fix this.  I'm wondering if what it comes down to is I need to adjust something in the muxer.  For example, maybe the framerate (despite the lack of a video stream)?

There are lots of tag editing and file fixing tools around for MP3 and other formats, but I'm not sure about M4A (AAC) low-level fixing as it's more of an Apple format. Tags are easy enough, but the problem here is not a simple title/artist/etc tags. Have you tried Googling "M4A repair" or similar?

Max did say he was going to try to put a work-around in place though, as long as that doesn't break correctly-encoded files.

Andre

Archived