mp3 tags not scanned on new music on SD card

6b6561

Filesystem sorting will show files which are time/date stamped with recent dates, which may not be the case if the Last Modified info came over correctly with an older file (which should be the case with a decent file copying app). Using 'Date Added to Library' ought to show the most recent items added to the library (which I suspect would get cleared when you do a Full Rescan by the way, as all the files will show as having been added in the same scan, in whatever order the directory-crawler found them).

What happens if you copy some random brand new audio file that has not been on your device before (manually in a file manager, not using a sync app) and let PA scan for it?

Andre

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, loop said:

copying the folder from internal to external storage does the same thing - the tags aren't read properly, but the files show up in "recently added"

It all sounds like either problems with the embedded tags (can you upload some samples?) or PA is still being allowed to scan while the files are only half-copied (which will find the name, but not the tag data). A Full Rescan should solve the latter problem, but obviously not if it's something odd in the tags.

Andre

If you formatted the card, PA would have had to rescan everything anyway as Android would have presented it as new storage. Does this problem occur with every track, or just some (specific ones, or randomly?). The sample you uploaded was regular ASCII in both the filename and tag contents, were the folder names too?

Andre

On 1/23/2020 at 3:56 PM, loop said:

copying the folder from internal to external storage does the same thing - the tags aren't read properly, but the files show up in "recently added"

21 hours ago, loop said:

I'm attaching a file placed in internal storage, scanned and read correctly by Poweramp, and the same file moved to sd card and not read correctly.

Which of the above is the case, in one message you said internal storage worked but SD Card did not, but the other message says both failed.

4 hours ago, loop said:

Somehow after I formatted my sd card it's even more broken: Now Poweramp doesn't recognize music on sd card even after multiple full rescans and reinstalling the app

Have you added the new storage card location (Android will have given it a new name) to Settings > Library > Music Folders.

You also said your folder and filenames have no special characters, but your earlier example screenshots showed lot of special characters, e.g:

On 1/20/2020 at 6:10 AM, loop said:

Screenshot_2020-01-20-07-07-10-19.png

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Which of the above is the case, in one message you said internal storage worked but SD Card did not, but the other message says both failed

No, internal storage works fine. Copying a file from internal to external makes it so Poweramp doesn't recognize the tags anymore, even if it did before.

Have you added the new storage card location (Android will have given it a new name) to Settings > Library > Music Folders.

Yes, i added the folder

You also said your folder and filenames have no special characters, but your earlier example screenshots showed lot of special characters, e.g:

I tested it with a lot of albums that don't have them, I haven't seen any difference

12 hours ago, loop said:

No, internal storage works fine. Copying a file from internal to external makes it so Poweramp doesn't recognize the tags anymore, even if it did before.

And I assume that if you copy the file back to internal from external then it works just fine?

So to clarify, any music saved on internal storage scans fine, with all metadata info displayed correctly in the PA Library lists. However the exact same files, in the same named folder structure, when placed on your SD Card do get scanned into the library but without any metadata (title, artist, album, etc) being shown in the lists. And this happens with all of your music, and a Full Rescan does not change the situation? Have you tried  a full uninstall of PA and reinstalling (or a doing a 'Clear Data' in the Android app settings ought to do the same thing)?

Andre

On 1/26/2020 at 10:27 AM, 6b6561 said:

And I assume that if you copy the file back to internal from external then it works just fine?

yes

23 hours ago, andrewilley said:

So to clarify, any music saved on internal storage scans fine, with all metadata info displayed correctly in the PA Library lists. However the exact same files, in the same named folder structure, when placed on your SD Card do get scanned into the library but without any metadata (title, artist, album, etc) being shown in the lists. And this happens with all of your music, and a Full Rescan does not change the situation? Have you tried  a full uninstall of PA and reinstalling (or a doing a 'Clear Data' in the Android app settings ought to do the same thing)?

Andre

I reinstalled Poweramp twice: now i moved a folder with 4 albums from internal to sd card, did a full rescan and it recognized 3 of those albums, one album has empty tags. I also found out that if I transfer music directly to sd card with a USB cable Poweramp picks up tags fine.

What sort of file copier app are you using for moving from internal to SD Card? Whatever it is doing seem to be causing the problems, but I have no idea why. And you've turned all of PA's auto-scanning options off, so it can't try to scan before the file copy is fully complete?

By the way, when you said PA "recognized 3 of those albums, one album has empty tags" do you mean it only found three albums, and one of those three had empty tags (i.e. you see two tagged albums and one untagged). Or did you mean it found all four albums, but only three of them showed tags? 

Andre

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

By the way, when you said PA "recognized 3 of those albums, one album has empty tags" do you mean it only found three albums, and one of those three had empty tags (i.e. you see two tagged albums and one untagged). Or did you mean it found all four albums, but only three of them showed tags? 

Andre

all 4 were found but 1 of them didn't show tags

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

What sort of file copier app are you using for moving from internal to SD Card? Whatever it is doing seem to be causing the problems, but I have no idea why. And you've turned all of PA's auto-scanning options off, so it can't try to scan before the file copy is fully complete?

I've used a lot of different file explorer apps (speedsoftware's file explorer, solid explorer, cx file explorer), but what i found is that only by using my built-in default file manager i got PA to show tags properly on sd card. I even managed to "fix" those unrecognized files by moving them to internal storage and then back to sd card. I have auto-scan off.

I think it's a problem that's exclusive to my phone brand.

41 minutes ago, loop said:

I think it's a problem that's exclusive to my phone brand.

I can only assume that this issue must revolve around the data linked with files (such as create-date, modified-date, archive flags, etc) so that somehow Poweramp is not getting prompted to re-read the files. However Full Rescan is meant to override all that and read them anyway.

Andre 

I just recently started having the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S10.

Selecting the song then clicking Info Tags -> Edit Tags -> Save
This usually updates the cover art/data but obviously this is not the ideal way of doing things.

I'll try turning the auto-scan off and manually scanning once everything has been added tonight.
Hopefully this works.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:23 AM, ZeroRX said:

I just recently started having the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy S10.

Selecting the song then clicking Info Tags -> Edit Tags -> Save
This usually updates the cover art/data but obviously this is not the ideal way of doing things.

I'll try turning the auto-scan off and manually scanning once everything has been added tonight.
Hopefully this works.

Never mind... The solution I mentioned above only works about 50% of the time.
Also, manually scanning is not helping either.

Hopefully the new update fixes these bugs.

• 3 weeks later...

@maxmp please take a closer look at the SD card issues, several other threads on the forum implies similar issues with music on SDcard, I hope that this will be addressed in the next release and I'm more than willing to help if this is not reproducible on any of Max test devices.

Disabling autoscan wasn't the magic bullet after all... setting scan immediately to OFF helped a bit on files synched from a NAS, but has still a lot of missed tracks.

I ran three tests today:

Test #1: Autoscan ON - Scan immediately ON
Test #2: Autoscan ON - Scan immediately OFF
Test #3: Autoscan OFF

Result/steps:

- Copied file from directory SDCARD/Music -> SDCARD/Music.test
 - PA adds the track as Unknown to library.
 - Re-scan of the directory doesn't help.
 - "Info/Tags" screen shows NO tags.
 - Reboot of the phone.
 - Tracks still shows up as unknown in library.
 - "Info/Tags" screen shows all the tags correctly after the reboot but they are still "unknown" in the library.

A full re-scan scans the tracks and they show up properly in the library.

• 3 months later...

I do believe that this is now fixed, as I no longer see failed tag scans after copying new tracks to the SD-card. I'm not sure when this was fixed, and I'm also not sure if @maxmp fixed it or if the MiMax 3 Android upgrade that fixed the problem.

Archived