Template for v3 to design skins??

KiLLaBee

So I've been in contact with another developer & asked if they plan on making any v3 skins or updating their v2 skins to v3 & their response was they need the template from you guys... So can someone send me a template so I can then send that to these guys..? They have awesome skins for v2 & I've bought like 15 from them already so kinda sucks just pissing away 15-30 bucks... thanx for your time & work, been using Poweramp for like 10yrs now 👍👍

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it is BUT a quote from a recent skin developer

"That's exactly the problem, you can not do anything with this template. We have tried everything, but this template is not intended for skin manufacturers, the codes are not correct, the links are full of errors and everything is so messy"

So all these previous skins & sick designers that made Poweramps experience better "maybe even helped bring it to the success it has today" & more user friendly, are shit outta luck now!?!? All that money spent on skins, flushed down the toilet bc they cannot update  their v2 skins or even produce a v3 skin without spending a rediclious amt of time sorting thru the messy coding, errors in the codes, links are full of errors, just to get it to work correctly, then have to actually design the skin "mind you the only thing they should have to do is design their skin to work properly with the app, not fix the apps coding to work with their skin" only to sell it for .99 or 1.49... 

I'm not trying to be hostile or obnoxious but this is a real problem, an unfortunate one that I'm hoping i can help resolve & get some forward progress... Cause alot of customers & developers are annoyed in reference to this situation.

Again thank you for all the time & hard work that goes into all this. Its greatly appreciated but can we try & work towards a solution here?

25 minutes ago, KiLLaBee said:

"That's exactly the problem, you can not do anything with this template. We have tried everything, but this template is not intended for skin manufacturers, the codes are not correct, the links are full of errors and everything is so messy"

Not sure what they mean by this. The skin SDK and the sample applications ARE your templates. Everything you need is there. It is very comprehensive. I started from scratch and learned how to go about developing skins

If you understand android styles and how they work for different layouts and screen sizes then they should be able to develop a skin. 

Have a look here to see what is possible.

http://www.theo.klinkweb.nl/poweramp_skin.html

the comments

the messy coding, errors in the codes, links are full of errors"

are totally incorrect, there are no errors and links do not apply. Not sure what you/they have been looking at, certainly not the V3 skin sdk

I suspect they have been using the Poweramp v2 sdk which is no longer appropriate to use against Poweramp v3. Any skin developer worth his salt should be able to reproduce/migrate any legacy skins for Poweramp v3. They have all the resources etc. And their learning curve will certainly not be as steep as mine

Could not resist...

All that money spent on skins, flushed down the toilet bc they cannot update  their v2 skins 

Similarly, I have a lots of vhs tapes which cost a lot of money but they are useless with the new technology....

• 2 months later...

On the same topic, I just contacted a third party PA skin developer (not sure if I am allowed to name them here, but I have the info if you wish) who had great/intricate PA v2 skins imo, asking if they had plans to make similar PA v3 skins, and here is a quote from their long answer by email: @maxmp

Hello..

we've tried everything for months and really done our best but Poweramp does not give us a template to work with, so it's impossible to update the skins.

We have written to Poweramp several times and have asked them why they are not helping us, 
unfortunately Poweramp got only one answer with a link leading to a page where you get an unacceptable template for creating and updating the skins for V3

We've been dealing with it for almost 6 months now and we're starting to feel like they no longer want us to design or update skins for Poweramp.
That's why we get bad reviews and our revenues are getting less. Believe me, it's not up to us, we'd like to update the skins.

We do not understand why Poweramp does that, maybe they want to design their own skins. 
We have been creating Poweramp skins for almost 8 years and find it very sad that they want to end this way. 
We also know that Poweramp has benefited greatly from our designs, so we do not understand that

Although it is not our fault, I apologize for the inconvenience
If you want to complain, please contact Poweramp Poweramp.maxmpz@gmail.com

You do not need any template. As I stated before, there is a comprehensive skin development kit for v3.

I never developed any skin before and started from scratch.  If this is a company that has more than 8 years experience in developing skins, I do not see what their problem is. Neither do i understand why they think the link provided (i assume to the skin api) is unacceptable.. There are even sample applications as a starting point. Ask them to make their ski  resources available. I am sure current skin developers, myself included, will build skins using them (assuming they are any good)

Why not post a reference to which v2 skin(s) we are talking about so we can see what was so special about them.

5 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

Why not post a reference to which v2 skin(s) we are talking about so we can see what was so special about them.

Thanks for your response. I did not know whether it was allowed/approved here to post reference to developer/skin.

Developer is scapemode, skin in question is called 'MENTALIST Poweramp skin V2' but could ref. any of their skins.

They have 80+ skins at Google Play and seem professional to me. That is why this whole matter seems so strange.

9 hours ago, flyingdutchman said:

Certainly interesting graphics. I am sure similar skins can be producec for v3. After all, it is just a matter of  creating different styles for visual components. I am certainly willing to give it a go if they provide the graphics.

Hey,

i can design similar graphics.

We could work together on a theme if you are interested :) 

It's fine to discuss skins here, even commercial ones. Obviously directly plagiarising someone else's skin though (even if it is an old v2 one) would not be permitted without their written consent.

For detailed discussion of setting up your own commercial partnership to design/develop skins, please use private communication, however discussion of the actual skin designs to get user feedback is fine here.

Andre

5 minutes ago, flyingdutchman said:

There is no issue with using ideas and designs. Plagiarise would be trying to recreate the same skin's graphics which is not the intention. 

That's fine of course. The grey area comes if someone tries to create their own icons/etc to look exactly the same as another person's work, regardless of whether they steal the actual source files.

Andre

@andrewilley Can you or Max confirm if what the aforementioned developer (scapemode) says in the received email (in part copied above) is true, that they have written to you several times reg. PA templates for v3 skins and that there is some sort of problem which stops them from creating v3 skins. If they have been successfully creating an abundance of PA skins for almost 8 years and are eager to create new ones for PA v3, one would think it would be in everyone's interest (developer, PA and users) to find a solution.

Scapemode has responded and explained that he is the designer, not the programmer. It appears the programmer has not familiarised him/herself with the skin sdk. I am exploring if i can collaborate with scapemode. He is interested so see if we can come to some agreement.

Skin devs do need to appreciate that PA v3 is a completely redesigned app in terms of its visual interface. The SDK is new and the needs of skins have obviously changed too. That's not to say it can't be done of course (as is proven by all the new skins out there) but it won't be possible to simply recompile an existing v2 skin to make it work for v3, there is quite a lot more initial development work involved.

Andre

@flyingdutchman Thank you for your efforts. I understand. From you interaction with this developer, is it your understanding that the 'problem' ('inability' to create a v3 skin) stems from the programmer not having familiarised him/herself with the PA v3 skin sdk, or is there some other reason or something that can be done on the part of PA?

Archived