Additive EQ presets per song

My request is this: for per-song (or perhaps per-album or whatever) EQ presets, there should be an option to make them additive.  This way, if you have a per-device preset already assigned to a device to make it sound the way you like, and a song that sounds weird and needs some EQ, they can be added together at the end to get the best of both worlds instead of having to choose between, say, having the sound all out of wack on your speakers because the songs EQ is strange, or having the song be all out of wack on every device.

• 4 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 10:41 PM, superluig164 said:

for per-song (or perhaps per-album or whatever) EQ presets, there should be an option to make them additive.

A would go a step further : make EQ presets generally additive. That is : allow to define a new preset as the sum of any number of existing presets. Perhaps even including such previously defined sums. Shouldn't be impossible to implement, is a known design pattern.

Why would anybody want that ? Because the equalizer is used for at leat two different purposes :

- modify the sound of the music

- mitigate the shortcomings of the headphones

One would like to have a set of presets for mitigation of one's various headphones, and another set to modify the sound of the music ( like the presets coming with the installation do now ). So one needs two : activating the first standardizes the headphones, and activating the second then gives the desired sound.

4 hours ago, blaubär said:

A would go a step further : make EQ presets generally additive. That is : allow to define a new preset as the sum of any number of existing presets. Perhaps even including such previously defined sums. Shouldn't be impossible to implement, is a known design pattern.

Why would anybody want that ? Because the equalizer is used for at leat two different purposes :

- modify the sound of the music

- mitigate the shortcomings of the headphones

One would like to have a set of presets for mitigation of one's various headphones, and and another set to modify the sound of the music ( like the presets coming with the installation do now ). So one needs two : activating the first standardizes the headphones, and activating the second then gives the desired sound.

I like this.  +1.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:56 AM, blaubär said:

A would go a step further : make EQ presets generally additive. That is : allow to define a new preset as the sum of any number of existing presets.

I can just see the bug report posts now... "I had the bass levels set to maximum for my speakers, the folder, the album, and every track - and now it sounds all distorted".

Andre

11 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

I can just see the bug report posts now... "I had the bass levels set to maximum for my speakers, the folder, the album, and every track - and now it sounds all distorted".

Andre

I suppose it wouldn't go past the maximum amount possible in the EQ settings.  Perhaps it could also be an advanced option so that it isn't enabled by default, to discourage people who don't know what it is or how it works from misusing it.

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Yes, you are right : in a way it would invite disaster. One would have to think of a way to limit the excesses.

12 hours ago, blaubär said:

Yes, you are right : in a way it would invite disaster. One would have to think of a way to limit the excesses.

And to limit the over-boosted bands, without changing the overall spread of the frequency response, the only way would be to use the limiter to reduce the gain of the whole passage, which would have the effect of reducing the volume for a period. It's a hard one to win.

Andre

Archived