Status bar notification issue with Android 8.1

I updated to the public beta of Android 8.1 on my Google Pixel this morning and am encountering an issue with the status bar/notification player. All of the icons are invisible and unresponsive to taps. Sometimes they show okay but most of the time they don't. There's also other general bugs with the notification when it does show correctly such as it not going away if you click the cross (it just clears the album art and buttons but stays there as a non-dismissable white box.

• Poweramp version and build number: 2.0.10-build-588-play (Full Version)
  • Device model: Google Pixel 128GB
  • Android version: 8.1.0 (Build number OPP5.170921.005)

Let me know if I can provide any more information to help fix the issue, I've been using Poweramp for years and don't want to have to switch because of this!

Screenshot_20171027-173554.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have found that if you tap unchecked and check the "inverse notifications" feature, it works temporarily, but any activation or song change makes them invisible and non-functional again. 

This is NOT Fixed with the 3.0 alpha. At least not on the Google Pixel XL. 

2 hours ago, eolith said:

I have found that if you tap unchecked and check the "inverse notifications" feature, it works temporarily, but any activation or song change makes them invisible and non-functional again. 

This is NOT Fixed with the 3.0 alpha. At least not on the Google Pixel XL. 

Ah yes - I noticed this too but completely forgot to mention it in the original post. Thanks for sharing!

• 4 weeks later...

I've given up on waiting for a fix for this so I've moved to using Google Play Music. After getting used to it I'm starting to get along with it and actually quite like it so I'll be sticking with it now.

Farewell Poweramp, it's been a good 4 years.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 on Nexus 5X.  Really annoyed at support response or lack of.  Before I found this thread I emailed support. I was told to upgrade to Alpha when comments here make clear it's  been known to be broken there too for nearly 2 months. Shows poor regard for paying customer not admitting it's a known issue and wasting my time. I bought the full license ages ago.  I'd happily re-pay for a new version that works on 8.1.  There is no other player on the market that supports local files and playlists like Poweramp. Please fix!!

As I understand it, there will be no further new-ROM related updates to Poweramp v2, which will become a legacy product aimed at Android 4.4 and below. Poweramp v3 will be the path that supports all new ROM releases, and the next beta release (when it arrives) should support at least stock 8.0 ROMs. Unfortunately that does leave some minor issues for early adopters of Oreo in the meantime, but as far as I'm aware nothing that affects operation of the core product (I believe it's just issues with changes in the Android pull-down notification system, and also some bluetooth/remote control options, at present).  

Andre

So I'm to understand that you won't support the product we purchased until you build a new one? Just because "the core" of the product works, doesn't mean we are getting what we paid for.

Kind of like Toyota saying "Well, we understand your car doesn't run right, but wait and will give you a new one, we just don't know when".

Should be a simple fix Andre, so do it, or risk more people not buying due to poor reviews on Google Play.

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As I understand it, there will be no further new-ROM related updates to Poweramp v2, which will become a legacy product aimed at Android 4.4 and below. Poweramp v3 will be the path that supports all new ROM releases, and the next beta release (when it arrives) should support at least stock 8.0 ROMs. Unfortunately that does leave some minor issues for early adopters of Oreo in the meantime, but as far as I'm aware nothing that affects operation of the core product (I believe it's just issues with changes in the Android pull-down notification system, and also some bluetooth/remote control options, at present).  

Andre

45 minutes ago, wasatchbl1 said:

Should be a simple fix Andre, so do it, or risk more people not buying due to poor reviews on Google Play.

Did you read my signature or not? I'm not the dev, and I have no idea how much work it would involve.

As I said, the dev is aware of these minor issues with Oreo 8.1, but has said that as Poweramp v2 is now intended to be a legacy product for older versions of Android only, the fixes will be via the v3 fork, not in v2. There won't be any extra charge for v3 by the way, your purchase will be good for that too.

So yes it will be fixed, but as it's not a critical error preventing use of the core product it will occur in the next beta release rather than as any kind of interim alpha version. For now though, if controlling playback via the notification panel rather than the main app controls is a real deal-breaker for you, in the short term you could roll your device back to the last version of Android that was working for you. Probably not worth it for something so minor though.

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Did you read my signature or not? I'm not the dev, and I have no idea how much work it would involve.

No, I didn't read your signature other than it says administrator. 

Why answer then if your not the developer? This is a help forum, not an opinion page. If you feel the need to answer every post, without helping, please stop.

2 hours ago, wasatchbl1 said:

This is a help forum, not an opinion page. If you feel the need to answer every post, without helping, please stop.

I provided an answer to your question. I'm afraid I can't help that you are not happy with it, but I'll save my time and not bother in future. 

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tried, but no go.

The fix is buggy, doesn't respond quickly, etc.

Plus you have to jump through more hoops then a Ringling Brothers lion.

Once again, glad I'm switching to another app to play my music. But I'm still going to warm everyone on Google Play that it doesn't work on 8.1, the developer isn't supporting the app anymore, and the mythical unicorn of version 3.0 is just that.

• 3 weeks later...

Come on, this is really bad. This problem makes the app nearly unusable. Either patch it properly (not the cobbled-together workaround) or release v3. I'd hate to switch apps because I've used and loved Poweramp for years; it's one of the only Android apps I've paid for.

I have been emailing the developer, posting bad reviews, etc. All to no avail. 

I suggest trying a different app until they decide to fix it later or release the new app. It's been more than a year for either of those things, so don't hold your breath.

BTW, make sure you leave a bad review on Play, hit them in the pocket book!

Sucks to see no updates had been rolled out to address the 8.1 issues. With a heavy heart I've left some bad reviews about possibly the best app I've had on my devices for years. Now looking for alternatives, Google Play Music is load of crap. Any recommendations are welcome! 

Archived