Auto-hide panels not working

andrewilley

The Auto-hide panels facility does not appear to be working to hide the control icons superimposed over the album art area of the Player screen (Galaxy Note 3, stock 4.4.2). I normally tend to turn off as much on-screen clutter as I can during playback.

(Also, Poweramp's skinned/iconised menus are not showing, only text list menus, but I assume that is part of the sinning process which the notes said wasn't in place yet)

Andre

I've also just noticed that pressing the Menu button (or using that dreadful Google-enforced three-dots icon) no longer includes 'Settings' in the menu (either from the Player UI or from the Library views). However the left-edge-swipe-in library category list now includes two Setting options, one to control the categories shown in that list (which makes perfect sense there) but also present is the general Settings menu option (which doesn't make any sense located within the categories list).

I'd suggest moving the main Settings item back into the more logical regular Menu rather than the slide-in categories list, and the same goes for the Help option. Not only would this make them easier to find for new (and old) users, but it would have the secondary advantage of freeing up two more slots in the categories slide-in list before you need to vertically scroll the list.

Andre

• 2 weeks later...

I got some feedback from Max (the Poweramp dev) about this thread, as follows:

As for menus and drawers - Android guidelines force me to put Setting and Help to drawer. Action bar menus should be applied to current item/screen only.

And the old menu is no more, but I may be replace system overflow menu with iconified similar custom menu (like it is now in shuffle/repeat or list item menus).

Hide panels is applied to panels background (actionbar/bottom shuffle/repeat panel). The background is much more transparent now, as it matches status bar transparent background. Icons are always there and not ever hidden, still I may add transparency option for them. I try to keep these options at minimum as they makes skins harder to implement.

New Poweramp has much more possibilities for skin authors, but that will be apparent after new skins are published. For example, skin author is now able to place each control/text controls freely on the screen, while v2 grouped them in panels. So this is why "panels" functionality is a bit reduced, for good.

In response, I proposed adding a few extra options into the Settings > Look and Feel > Player UI menu which would allow certain control elements to be set to Visible, Auto-Hidden (i.e. show when screen tapped) or Disabled. I suggested the following items each have their own visibility settings: Three-lines menu icon ; Three-dots overflow-list icon ; EQ/Visualisations icon ; Search icon ; Repeat & Shuffle icons ; Next-List/Previous-List (<<< and >>>) buttons ; Cover Art Images (as there have been some requests for cover art to be optional and it would presumably be easy to add to this set of options).

Andre

• 7 months later...

I've always been using the latest Poweramp, but only just realised this "issue" recently. Most likely cos I just got a new phone. Anyways, this really saddens me. I like seeing the album artwork in full without anything on it. I hope somehow this option comes back. 

Archived