Listening to podcasts

I'm sure that most people use Poweramp to listen to music. However, I suspect there are many others like me who use it to listen to podcast files. Every week I download around 20 files of programs from the BBC and NPR, so that I can listen to these while out walking. I want to listen to them in the order that they were broadcast, so I prepend the broadcast date to the file name, and then upload them all to one folder for replay.

While this is possible with Poweramp, it is by no means ideal. While I did find it possible (with difficulty) to get the folder to display and play the files in filename order, I have found no way to get the status to show the file name, rather than the tags, which in general I do not want to see.

I wonder if it would be possible to provide a set of 'podcast-friendly' settings to assist folk like me?

Chris

+1. I just use an ISO-date format for the podcast track-titles for now (I tag the Artist and Albums too). Keeps them in order, and easier to find.

A resume feature for any track with 'Speech' as the genre, to start where one left off when playing the track again (if listening to normal music tracks in between) would be very useful too!

• 2 months later...

Some other minor features would be particularly nice when listening to podcasts:

1. Skip back 10 seconds

2. Skip forward 30 seconds

3. Undo. It seems to be much too easy to accidentally skip to the next track (or to the beginning of the current track, etc), and then it can be difficult to get back to where you were. It would be nice to have an Undo feature that would take you to wherever you last were before the last jump.

4. Hide the album art. Most podcast mp3s seem to have no album art or uninteresting album art. It would be nice to be able to easily toggle hide/show the album art (perhaps by tapping the picture). (Really nice would be able to tell Poweramp to display random photos from my phone's Pictures folder instead of the album art...)

5. Speed-up playback. Play the audio faster (in increments: 10%, 20%, 30% faster) and lower the pitch so it doesn't sound like chipmunks. (VLC does this, for example.)

I (and a number of others) have been asking for a couple of years for features to help better navigate through longer audio tracks, but never really seem to get any firm promises of what is being done to support these sorts of issues. They effect people who listen to all kinds of music and audio - concerts, classical music, podcasts, audiobooks, radio shows, etc. Not all music comes in neat little 4 minute chunks.

For example, I'm listening to a 2.5 hour concert recording at the moment, and I'm kinda scared of pressing anything in case I miss the button and accidentally skip to a different track and have to try to find my place again (which would be nigh on impossible).

I hear people asking for spectrum analyser visualisations and goodness knows what, and find myself wishing that really basic navigation problems could be addressed before looking at bells, whistles and frills.

Andre

• 5 years later...

+1 (actually want it so much i registered for it)

To add to previous: it would be great to have those features too:

* Remember position for podcast (if user starts listening to something else, not just when stopped)

* Option to automatically filter all tracks over certain duration into separate library group (and not show them in other ones)

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 2:42 PM, NekoiNemo said:

* Option to automatically filter all tracks over certain duration into separate library group (and not show them in other ones)

What an excellent idea! In the same way that there are already smart/dynamic categories such as 'Top Rated' and 'Recently Added', it ought to be really simple to have one called "Long Tracks" too. Then inside its List Options there would be an option to define the minimum length in minutes (10 mins might be a good default) for a track to appear in that group.

It would be even better if there could also be an option to set a flag to automatically "Remember Playback Position" for any tracks which get assigned to that group - so when you have to stop a two-hour show or concert and return to it later, you can resume where you left off.

Maybe even add an option to exclude any tracks in that group from Shuffled playback too - it's very annoying when you're listening to a nice random selection of music and a 90-minute podcast or a 30-minute radio show starts playing.

How about it @maxmp , do you think this could work easily?

Andre

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

Long tracks category can be added easily.

I'm also thinking about adding arbitrary number of user created categories, e.g. Hi-Res tracks only or very long standard-res tracks only with bit width=24 and genre=rock and format=mp4, etc.

Hi-res tracks only would be awesome!

6 hours ago, maxmp said:

I'm also thinking about adding arbitrary number of user created categories, e.g. Hi-Res tracks only or very long standard-res tracks only with bit width=24 and genre=rock and format=mp4, etc.

That would be wonderful, I seem to remember suggesting something like that a long (long!) time ago, for a simple editor facility to allow users to set up their own custom categories with their desired grouping, filtering, and sorting options.

Andre

Archived