Unable to or only partially able to read metadata from Flac files.

R.M Lebara

Good day,

Hope someone can help me, up until 2 weeks ago Poweramp was fine and reading all metadata from flac music i have stored on my Sd card (Phone Poco M5S) i did not update my phone or the app but when i started the app up most of my 2000 files had suddenly become unknown artist within the Poweramp app. When viewing as album they would show as they would normally but as artists view as i said unknown artist. after fresh installing the app i managed to add some of my flac music, then sadly they mostly dissappeared within the library only showing within the all songs view in the library nothing at all within album or artist view. I have attempted emptying cache numerous times. adding removing as many as you like, also fresh install 3 times and restarting phone after soft reboot and fresh scan of library. no files have been edited changed there are no cue files, they are simple as could be. Any ideas im pretty stumped and to make matters worse i used another audio player and it scanned my files right away and library is perfect nothing missing from anywhere.

Regards Dixski

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like a permission issue, but that ought to have been solved by a re-install. Try removing all Music Folders entries (in Settings=>Library) so you end up with zero songs, and then re-assign and grant access again to your music location. The first part of the scan will pick up the folders and filenames (normally in a few seconds) and the second part should scan every file to read the tag data (for the Artist, Album, etc details). Make sure the second phase completes before you allow the app to go into the background or the screen to turn off.

Andre

So.....

I removed the folders  i was trying to add to the library , then added the base folder to the library , it scanned and added 1580 files to the library but once again no metadata had been read and no entries in the artist and album views only music appearing in the "all songs" entry . So exactly the same as before. then i turned legacy mode on ( i believe it is off by default) this made no difference at all. Then i removed the base folder from the library but ticked only one of the albums to be added to my library, which would of meant i now only had a single album in my library , but to my suprise they were now all available in my library. iv added screen shots to my post. Hoping this clarifies. Screen shot 1 is the last adjustment i made and to my mind that would mean only luke slater would be shared but all of the folders are now in my library (sorry if i repeat myself)

Screenshot_2023-08-26-11-55-27-955_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-26-11-44-42-977_com.google.android.documentsui.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-26-11-44-00-215_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-08-26-11-43-48-861_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Hi , when it was not in the library just the music symbol, now i have the correct info on each track. Still do not understand how it can see my whole library of music when only onw folder is selected. (im guessing legacy mode being enabled is helping Poweramp see my metadata) never used to have that enabled though....

Thanks

Poco M5s Android 12

Edited by R.M Lebara
Added phone info

On recent Androids you cannot select entire root levels of storage, but choosing one specific folder (e.g. your "Music 2023" which would then contain all of your music files and any further subfolders) should work as long as access permission has been granted. Legacy File Access Mode does still work fine on most devices, and can actually be faster for scanning files, but SAF (Storage Access Framework, which is the normal modern Android file access method) is probably a more robust solution long-term. Perhaps try putting your master "Music 2023" folder directly in the "disk" storage (i.e. root of the SD Card) rather than inside "Music"? It really shouldn't make a difference, but if you only want to use Poweramp to play your music you can add a ".nomedia" file into it to prevent Android from scanning that folder too.  

Andre

8 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

On recent Androids you cannot select entire root levels of storage, but choosing one specific folder (e.g. your "Music 2023" which would then contain all of your music files and any further subfolders) should work as long as access permission has been granted. Legacy File Access Mode does still work fine on most devices, and can actually be faster for scanning files, but SAF (Storage Access Framework, which is the normal modern Android file access method) is probably a more robust solution long-term. Perhaps try putting your master "Music 2023" folder directly in the "disk" storage (i.e. root of the SD Card) rather than inside "Music"? It really shouldn't make a difference, but if you only want to use Poweramp to play your music you can add a ".nomedia" file into it to prevent Android from scanning that folder too.  

Andre

Hi , i have learnt much from this post. The nomedia option is interesting. Its not something i have heard of ...  many thanks

Dixski

24 minutes ago, R.M Lebara said:

Hi , i have learnt much from this post. The nomedia option is interesting. Its not something i have heard of ...  many thanks

You can't put a .nomedia file inside the system Music folder though. Android removes it as it considers it should always be allowed to scan that folder, which does make sense. Hence my suggestion to use a new folder of your own, away from Android's system folders - I use "Audio".

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Its been a while and i apologise for being away for a while, so ive recently had time to mess around a little with Poweramp , and this is the conclusion i have come to, after restructuring the sd card and re adding the files multiple times in different ways to try to access all the music files. It seems evident that due to the structure and depth of the folders and files on the sd card Poweramp is unable to read the metadata whether this is due to Android i am not sure. i just cant add the root folder to my library so i have to add each individual album folder. I could change the folder structure on the sd card but i like to keep it as it is the same as on my P.C, bit long winded, but hey ho... thanks again. Still the best player by a mile. 

@R.M Lebara the folder structure can be anything, though recent Androids do not allow adding root of the storage and  /Download folder, but allows adding any child folder in those, except /Android folder, which is reserved.

As soon as folder added Poweramp will be able to scan tracks and read tags. For the larger libraries (thousands of tracks), I would recommend keeping Poweramp on foreground/playing for the initial library scan, as system may kill it while in background. Poweramp continues such cancelled scan the next time it’s started, unless “Initial scan” option is disabled in its Settings. In this case you’ll see track filenames without the tags.

I have been using Poweramp for a week or so with just a few albums added to the library, no problems, then i decided to slowly add a few more it allowed me to add up to 611 then any that i added after that would only show in the "all songs" tab. I have tried several different ways to add and remove the music files but i have had no success , this is an ongoing problem that started some weeks ago. i have been using it for years with no problems, now its become a real chore to use. Im really confused as i cannot be the first person to have this kind of problem . I would also add i do not on a regular basis add or remove files from the library at one time i had thousands all stored on the sd card all playing perfectly. Its not a premissions thing , and the fact that 2 folders next to each other one adds to the library the other one doesnt makes no sense.  As i said i attempted to add past 611 and it refused it scanned but never added them i have attached photos , hope they make sense , im pretty stumped now as to what else to do.

Any way 1st pic no metadata read on flac file. 2 and 3 empty tabs for folder album and artist 4 managed to pic up playlist files but not music files atall 5 could manage to get luke slater added but not my ticking the upper level box 6 disaster added more the same way none showed in library 7 shows my files detected and added, and 8 it finds the 800+ files but will not add them to the 611 already in the library.

Help!!!

Regards Dixski

Screenshot_2023-09-26-16-18-45-606_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-26-16-18-52-476_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-26-16-18-57-919_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-26-16-20-03-528_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-26-16-20-33-582_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-26-16-28-28-637_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-26-16-32-56-378_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-26-16-33-32-598_com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

@R.M Lebara there is no access to files (if folders are properly selected and Full Rescan used once). May be it’s a problem similar to some Samsung ROMs where External storage component has no access to files, or it can be something else (some disabled system component, ROM issue) - hard to guess remotely, though you can try to send us a log from Poweramp right after you’re trying the rescan.

You can read how to fix the possible issue with External storage here: https://forum.powerampapp.com/kb/en_us/faq/android-13-too-many-files-failed-r45/

I just tried again fresh install of the app ,, slowly adding each folder a few at a time , got to 600 again, refused to add any more. ive re installed it about 6 times dont think its gonna work , will try the samsung route, is their any permissions i might of over looked? again if its adding some folders it should add them all. hey ho! Im gutted as i use Poweramp everyday

Thanks for prompt reply

Just a thought, but have you tried using a different overall folder other than 'Music' (which is a system defined folder) just in case there's any conflict there?

So create a top level folder called something like "My Music" and enable ONLY that folder name in PA's Music Folders screen, nothing else. Then copy your various folders and subfolders of music into that new My Music folder, perhaps a few at a time scanning between each new copy session. Might make no difference, but nothing else seems to be working for you. 

Andre

48 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Just a thought, but have you tried using a different overall folder other than 'Music' (which is a system defined folder) just in case there's any conflict there?

So create a top level folder called something like "My Music" and enable ONLY that folder name in PA's Music Folders screen, nothing else. Then copy your various folders and subfolders of music into that new My Music folder, perhaps a few at a time scanning between each new copy session. Might make no difference, but nothing else seems to be working for you. 

Andre

Hi. I tried that created a new folder on the SD card. Then added each sub folder, then I removed any characters on the off chance . Then added a few at the time. I reached around 600 then it would not add any more to the library. 

Other thing I have noticed is in settings/permissions file type audio etc there is no entry for Poweramp, but I say that an alternative music player is listed in the list, I just wondered?? 

Many thanks.

Is the "600 mark" only based quantity of files, or does it perhaps have something to do with the content of one of the files somewhere that might be breaking the process?

To test this, add one subfolder with maybe 100 songs into your empty "My Music" folder and check that scans and works. Then create multiple copies of that same subfolder with new names, and see if the scanner will go beyond the sixth or seventh new subfolder or not? That should indicate whether it's purely a quantity issue, or something else with a particular subfolder's contents.

Andre

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Is the "600 mark" only based quantity of files, or does it perhaps have something to do with the content of one of the files somewhere that might be breaking the process?

To test this, add one subfolder with maybe 100 songs into your empty "My Music" folder and check that scans and works. Then create multiple copies of that same subfolder with new names, and see if the scanner will go beyond the sixth or seventh new subfolder or not? That should indicate whether it's purely a quantity issue, or something else with a particular subfolder's contents.

Andre

Thats an interesting thought , will have a look later today. and get around to posting the log file also..

22 hours ago, R.M Lebara said:

Hello again , so this morning , i did as was kindly advised and i created a new music folder on the Sd card. I put a folder in it containing around 90 or so files, i then created another 9 identical folders. Poweramp scanned it and hey presto, all files added to the library around 900. 

Im guessing this means that one file or possibly a folder with flac files is cancelling the adding proccess for whatever reason as suggested by Andre :)

UPDATE... i began adding my music back to the library , essentially there are three main folders. First folder added perfectly , second perfectly ! then added the third , scanned then did not add any music to the library, so i added each subfolder one at a time that all went well. All of these folders are artists names so in each of the artists folders there are albums. i then went through these methodically until i eventually reached 2 albums that could not be added, flat refused. they have been in the music library at one point but now these 2 folders were causing the app to stall on the second scan. Im unsure as to what has caused this, but Andre was correct :) At this moment i have 1787 files in the library and all is well. I shall remove these offending folders from the sd card as soon as... i will report back in a few days to update but everything seems sweet.

Thankyou for the help, enjoy the weekend ahead.. 

Screenshot com.maxmpz.audioplayer.jpg

Bingo, sounds like you've found the problem. So one or more files in those two folders are causing the scanner to fail. Could be corrupted storage, or a badly encoded file (or files).

The next step would be to create two new folders inside your new (i.e. working) master music folder, and then copy (as a duplicate, not moved) the suspect audio files over there one-by-one until the scanner fails to catch one of the files. You could speed the process up and do them in groups if you like, breaking the content down into working and non-working until you find single culprits. Once you've found the problem files, see if they'll play in anything else. If you've got master copies elsewhere (e.g. on a computer) try copying the original versions over again, in case the files have simply become corrupt.

If it is a case of storage corruption, it might be an idea to copy everything off, reformat the SD Card cleanly, and then the copy the good files back again.  

Andre