Can't manually fast forward or rewind songs anymore after latest Poweramp update

Dawnie

I'm not sure if this is the right topic to post under, but as of the latest Poweramp app update, I've been unable to manually fast forward/rewind songs from mt steering wheel. I've tried contacting the developer who informed me that their app shouldn't have affected these features or had the ability to and yet it seems to because the day before I updated the app (latest version), I could manually fast forward or rewind songs via holding down my steering wheels up/down arrows. Then, the day after when I updated the app, I could no longer do this. Holding that button only skips songs now. I never changed any settings on my android, android auto or the power amp app itself. Heck I thought the app was bugging out so I uninstalled and reinstalled it again using the default settings and still nothing. I had no problems before their latest update and now I have to use voice command to manually forward or rewind songs which is annoying and takes longer. Can anyone help with this? There were no updates to my phone or android auto prior to power amps latest update.

Please provide some details, such as what device/app/Android versions, and the commands that PA is receiving via the list in PA Settings=>Headset/Bluetooth=>Last Processed Commands. It is working for me in PA build 939 and latest Google updates to Android Auto (Hyundai head-unit).

Andre

I don't use a head set when driving so the bluetooth head setting is irrelevant here. But I see what you're saying. My phone connects fine to the Bluetooth settings in my car. Android auto is version 7.6.62 (latest version). Poweramp version is build-305 (latest version). My car is a Hyundai Elantra. I've also got the latest android version installed as well. Everything is up to date. The issue was when I updated Poweramp.

I already tried last processed commands through the Poweramp app and it did not solve the problem. The developers suggested this as well. I also tried their other method but again, no dice. I even uninstalled and reinstalled and still I encounter this error. This error for me was caused by the latest update through Poweramp. My LG phone had a recent update but that came after Poweramps update, this is how I know the updated software in the app changed something because I didn't change anything in my phone, car or the Poweramp settings 

1 hour ago, Dawnie said:

I don't use a head set when driving so the bluetooth head setting is irrelevant here

Not really true, as the Android Auto commands are usually sent via a Bluetooth connection with your device. The audio info may also be using this Bluetooth connection, depending on the version of Android Auto, the device OS, and the hardware in your particular vehicle.

You can tell if this is the case using the instructions @andrewilley provided above at PA Settings=>Headset/Bluetooth=>Last Processed Commands. You can see the time stamps there. If these are shown after you connected to Android Auto, then the commands are being sent by Bluetooth. And you can see what commands they were. 

1 hour ago, Dawnie said:

I don't use a head set when driving so the bluetooth head setting is irrelevant here.

The keypress commands arrive into your phone as Android button events, which is what is shown in that menu option. It doesn't matter whether it originated from a wired headset, a bluetooth device (such as a car radio) or elsewhere.

As you've tried uninstalling already, please could you do so again and install a previous version of Poweramp (there's an archive of APK files here on the website) just to confirm that this is actually an issue with the latest update so no one ends up chasing a red herring. Builds 925 or 933 would be worth trying as they were the previous two stable releases. Download from https://forum.powerampapp.com/files/category/2-poweramp-v3-latest-releases/ . I assume you saved your settings before uninstalling (using PA Settings=>Export Settings/Data) so you can restore whatever options you previously used.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

The keypress commands arrive into your phone as Android button events, which is what is shown in that menu option. It doesn't matter whether it originated from a wired headset, a bluetooth device (such as a car radio) or elsewhere.

As you've tried uninstalling already, please could you do so again and install a previous version of Poweramp (there's an archive of APK files here on the website) just to confirm that this is actually an issue with the latest update so no one ends up chasing a red herring. Builds 925 or 933 would be worth trying as they were the previous two stable releases. Download from https://forum.powerampapp.com/files/category/2-Poweramp-v3-latest-releases/ . I assume you saved your settings before uninstalling (using PA Settings=>Export Settings/Data) so you can restore whatever options you previously used.

Andre

I tried searching through settings you suggested in regards to the head set and Bluetooth and the results came up as "empty". I will try uninstalling the app and using the older versions that you have provided when I have time. I work 12 hour days so I have no time for myself when I get off of work when I'm on rotation. But hopefully the older versions work because if they don't, I have no idea what's causing the issue because I haven't changed anything =/ 

To answer Andrewilley, no i did not save any settings before uninstalling the app the first time because I didn't touch any of the settings before. Really, not a single thing. Everything was set at default and I didn't change any settings in my car either. I only had to unpair and pair my phone with the car when Android Auto was refusing to connect to the car. So all the settings stayed at default there.

If the remote device is sending commands through to Poweramp, you would see something similar to the following KEYCODE_MEDIA events in the PA log afterwards. I just tested this with latest build of PA (939) and latest Android Auto from the Play Store, and both FastForward and Rewind worked fine.

Log for press-and-hold on the Next (or '+') button on the steering wheel for approx. six seconds (here logged as being held from 18:50:42 until 18:50:49): 

18:50:42.614 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
18:50:43.104 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x84 playerState=1
==================
18:50:43.118 PlayerService BEGIN_FAST_FORWARD
from PSMediaButtonReceiver 
==================
18:50:49.368 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
18:50:49.375 PlayerService END_FAST_FORWARD

Log for press-and-hold on the Prev (or '-') button on the steering wheel for approx six seconds (here logged as being held from 18:50:56 until 18:51:02): 

18:50:56.245 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
18:50:56.744 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x84 playerState=1
==================
18:50:56.748 PlayerService BEGIN_REWIND
==================
18:51:02.966 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_UP A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
18:51:02.980 PlayerService END_FAST_FORWARD

So unless you find a previous version of PA works better for you, I think something else must have changed. Was the BT unpair and pair that you mentioned before or after you started experiencing this issue? Is your Android Auto USB and  Bluetooth connected, or fully wireless?

Andre

4 hours ago, andrewilley said:

If the remote device is sending commands through to Poweramp, you would see something similar to the following KEYCODE_MEDIA events in the PA log afterwards. I just tested this with latest build of PA (939) and latest Android Auto from the Play Store, and both FastForward and Rewind worked fine.

Log for press-and-hold on the Next (or '+') button on the steering wheel for approx. six seconds (here logged as being held from 18:50:42 until 18:50:49): 

18:50:42.614 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
18:50:43.104 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x84 playerState=1
==================
18:50:43.118 PlayerService BEGIN_FAST_FORWARD
==================
18:50:49.368 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
18:50:49.375 PlayerService END_FAST_FORWARD

Log for press-and-hold on the Prev (or '-') button on the steering wheel for approx six seconds (here logged as being held from 18:50:56 until 18:51:02): 

18:50:56.245 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
18:50:56.744 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x84 playerState=1
==================
18:50:56.748 PlayerService BEGIN_REWIND
==================
18:51:02.966 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_UP A2dpOn  isAvrcp  flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
18:51:02.980 PlayerService END_FAST_FORWARD

So unless you find a previous version of PA works better for you, I think something else must have changed. Was the BT unpair and pair that you mentioned before or after you started experiencing this issue? Is your Android Auto USB and  Bluetooth connected, or fully wireless?

Andre

Sorry thought I replied to the last one earlier. I guess not. My bluetooth was paired before I experienced this issue. The only way I can forward manually is to start forwarding by holding the button as I select the next song. Then it'll fast forward but if I hold the next button on the steering wheel while the current song is playing, it'll skip it. My phone is also plugged in when in use. I don't use the Bluetooth because the volume is too quiet. And the android auto issue i had before where I had to unpair my phone in order to get it to work happened before the latest Poweramp update as well. So the pairing wasn't the issue. The developers insisted that their app update couldn't affect the forward/rewind but it did for me. I will try an older version on my next set of days off and let you all know, if not sooner. Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

Edited by Dawnie

@Dawnie Thanks for the details but unfortunately nobody yet provided “last processed commands” log (taken right after rewind button usage), so it’s really hard to trll what is wrong here.

On Android, a player app does not receive button presses directly, those are passed through multiple layers and then reported to the active player, so multiple points of failure are possible (including Poweramp of course).

With Android Auto, the audio usually gets sent via the Bluetooth system anyway, not actually via the USB cable.

If regular BT volume is too low, make sure you have disabled the Absolute Volume feature in the phone's Developer Options if you want to use DVC. See the FAQ for more details:

If the head-unit or steering wheel buttons are performing any function at all (e.g. going to the next track) then there must be some events logged in PA Settings=>Headset/Bluetooth=>Last Processed Commands. It can't just say "empty" after using the buttons, otherwise nothing would happen at all - and there should also be lots of internal connection messages too. Please check that log again just after you have tried one of the buttons.

Andre

8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

With Android Auto, the audio usually gets sent via the Bluetooth system anyway, not actually via the USB cable.

If regular BT volume is too low, make sure you have disabled the Absolute Volume feature in the phone's Developer Options if you want to use DVC. See the FAQ for more details:

If the head-unit or steering wheel buttons are performing any function at all (e.g. going to the next track) then there must be some events logged in PA Settings=>Headset/Bluetooth=>Last Processed Commands. It can't just say "empty" after using the buttons, otherwise nothing would happen at all - and there should also be lots of internal connection messages too. Please check that log again just after you have tried one of the buttons.

Andre

I posted this after arriving at work so the data must've reset. Oddly enough, for a few seconds I got the fast forward/rewind working for several seconds but then it went back to the same issue stated before. I tried again after that as well and still nothing. Below is a log of a test run that I just did. 

==================
17:41:29.619 PlayerService BEGIN_REWIND
==================
17:41:32.312 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_UP A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
17:41:32.317 PlayerService END_FAST_FORWARD
==================
17:41:33.956 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
17:41:33.991 PlayerService NEXT
==================
17:41:34.454 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x84 playerState=1
==================
17:41:34.459 PlayerService BEGIN_FAST_FORWARD
==================
17:41:37.589 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
17:41:37.595 PlayerService END_FAST_FORWARD
==================
17:41:38.520 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
17:41:38.551 PlayerService PREVIOUS
==================
17:41:39.015 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x84 playerState=1
==================
17:41:39.022 PlayerService BEGIN_REWIND
==================
17:41:41.641 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS ACTION_UP A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
17:41:41.651 PlayerService END_FAST_FORWARD
==================
17:41:42.276 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
17:41:42.312 PlayerService NEXT
==================
17:41:42.781 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x84 playerState=1
==================
17:41:42.785 PlayerService BEGIN_FAST_FORWARD
==================
17:41:46.656 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
17:41:46.662 PlayerService END_FAST_FORWARD
==================
17:41:47.262 PSMediaSessionHelper.Callback onPause
com.google.android.projection.gearhead
==================
17:41:47.812 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=2
==================
17:41:47.850 PlayerService NEXT
==================
17:41:47.895 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=2
==================
17:41:50.394 PSAudioFocusHelper AUDIOFOCUS_LOSS_TRANSIENT
IGNORE !playing
==================
17:41:54.972 PSAudioFocusHelper AUDIOFOCUS_LOSS
IGNORE !playing
==================
17:41:55.316 AppScannerSupport PAUSE
pause_on_headset USB disconnection/AA
==================
17:41:55.973 BTReceiver headset event
disconnection BT=true am mode=0 ELANTRA GT no_keep_notif_on_dscn=false
==================
17:41:55.999 HeadsetPlugReceiver headset event
disconnection BT=false am mode=0 no_keep_notif_on_dscn=false
==================
17:41:59.543 PlayerService onRoutingChanged
newDevice=speaker oldDevice=bt
==================
17:41:59.543 PlayerService reloadPipeline
 allowPlaying=false forceResume=false state after reload=2

Thanks for the log, Max should be able to take a look at that now. There do seem to be a couple of instances where the Next Track activity has activated before the second KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN event has arrived (which indicates the button is still pressed).

Andre

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Thanks for the log, Max should be able to take a look at that now. There do seem to be a couple of instances where the Next Track activity has activated before the second KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN event has arrived (which indicates the button is still pressed).

Andre

Any idea on how to fix this issue?

Hi guys! Sorry for the delay. Nearly forgot to provide an update. So I downloaded an earlier version of power amp and I am still experiencing the same issue as before. I haven't heard back from the developer on here so I will now email them directly for an answer.

On 6/9/2022 at 3:14 PM, maxmp said:

@Dawnie Thanks for the details but unfortunately nobody yet provided “last processed commands” log (taken right after rewind button usage), so it’s really hard to trll what is wrong here.

On Android, a player app does not receive button presses directly, those are passed through multiple layers and then reported to the active player, so multiple points of failure are possible (including Poweramp of course).

I posted a log recently. Can anyone from the power amp team take a look? I've contacted the developer and haven't received a reply.

On 6/16/2022 at 9:15 AM, Dawnie said:

Hi guys! Sorry for the delay. Nearly forgot to provide an update. So I downloaded an earlier version of power amp and I am still experiencing the same issue as before.

So it's not a Poweramp change but possibly something else in your system got updated in the background. It might be possible for Max (the developer) to tweak the code slightly based on your log, but don't expect an instant fix it would need to be added to a future build and tested to make sure it doesn't break working functionality for other users.

Andre

On 6/9/2022 at 3:14 PM, maxmp said:

I posted a log recently. Can anyone from the power amp team take a look? I've contacted the developer and haven't received a reply

Hi everyone,

I just tried a different music app on my car and there's no issues with it. I can manually fast forward and rewind no problem. So there definitely something up with Power Amp because I still can't through that app. Guess it's audios to Power Amp =/

48 minutes ago, Dawnie said:

I posted a log recently. Can anyone from the power amp team take a look? I've contacted the developer and haven't received a reply

The "team" is @maxmp, he is the only developer of Poweramp. Any change would require adding to a new release, which could be several weeks or even months depending on what work is being done.

Andre

1 hour ago, Dawnie said:

I just tried a different music app on my car and there's no issues with it. I can manually fast forward and rewind no problem. So there definitely something up with Power Amp because I still can't through that app. Guess it's audios to Power Amp =/

Many audio apps use more generic commands for things like track up/down and fast forward/reverse. Same goes for the hardware manufacturers. The combination of devices, OS versions, and hardware makes it impossible to diagnose every potential issue. But the log you posted was already acknowledged by the dev. So I'd expect it to be potentially improved in an upcoming update.

I wouldn't count on it coming in a matter of days from when you first posted this on June 9, as the last beta update came out May 13. I'm sure the pipeline is already well packed with other things to add to and improve Poweramp since well before this came up.