Volume Question

Mark Lee

Hi, can someone help with a question I have regarding the volume set on my Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Read on Internet that when using a tablet connected to a hifi via bluetooth that the volume should be between 50 and 60 % on the tablet and then adjusted on the hifi, mine is currently set at 59 %, is this correct ?, worried about any distortion, also when I have the volume set on the Poweramp app is there a way to lock it at that setting, I keep knocking it and it obviously changes.

Thanks

No, you can't lock the volume, it can still be changed with the volume buttons.

I generally output BT at 100% for my car radio, and adjust the volume on the target device. If you use a lot of EQ boosts you may want to reduce that (or lower the preamp setting, or use ReplayGain).

That is sort of what BT Absolute Volume is for, which can be disabled in Android Settings > Developer Options (useful if you want to use DVC with Bluetooth).

Andre

That's something I can't get my head round, BT absolute volume, I know you can disable it in developer settings, bit scary, but I don't understand why you would or not use it, need it explained in very simple terms. So doesn't the volume distort at 100 %, on my gauge its green until 60 % then red, or is this just a visual thing.

You should be fine with volume set at 100% in most cases. Unless you are really overdriving thee EQ or preamp settings - which I don't recommend. Otherwise this just makes sure you are sending the full level out to your external device. This is no different than connecting a CD player or blu-ray player - these devices do not have a volume control at all.

Hi, my eq is set at flat on power amp and the treble and bass adjusted on the hifi, so the sound won't distort at 100 %, I use the volume setting on power amp, currently set at 59% I don't use the tablet volume switch unless I'm just watching you tube. 

3 minutes ago, Mark Lee said:

Hi, my eq is set at flat on power amp and the treble and bass adjusted on the hifi, so the sound won't distort at 100 %, I use the volume setting on power amp, currently set at 59% I don't use the tablet volume switch unless I'm just watching you tube. 

With flat EQ settings you should increase your volume to 100% on the tablet. Otherwise you are actually opening up the signal path to more noise potentially. You won't need as much volume on your main system to get the same output, but it should be much cleaner. If you do sense any distortion, you can back the tablet volume down a bit. But 59% sounds like you are far below any thresholds for this.

Edited by MotleyG

Actually, if you equate it back to CD Players, or even older analogue sources, most playback devices generally didn't have their own output gain controls. Domestic kit sent its full line level signal (approx. 1V peak-to-peak) down the phono cable so as to provide a better signal to noise ratio, and the final listening volume was then controlled by a knob at the power amplifier stage.

Andre

OK let me see if I've got this straight, I have my eq at flat and the volume at 100% on the Poweramp on my tablet and adjust the volume and Treble and bass on the hifi, it's now at 16 Out of 50 and this is loud enough. With this it should be better and cleaner with no distortion or noise, I wish my ears were 30 years younger, sorry to be repeating myself but I want to get it right.

2 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

OK let me see if I've got this straight, I have my eq at flat and the volume at 100% on the Poweramp on my tablet and adjust the volume and Treble and bass on the hifi, it's now at 16 Out of 50 and this is loud enough. With this it should be better and cleaner with no distortion or noise, I wish my ears were 30 years younger, sorry to be repeating myself but I want to get it right.

This is how I would do it.

3 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

OK, have another question, when I set the Poweramp volume to 100% it seems to work fine, but when I turn off and on again it goes to 100% then straight away drops to 54 %, why is this ? Have tried numerous things but to no avail.

Not sure, this could be device specific. It doesn’t happen with mine.

It's strange, must be the Samsung tablet, no matter what I do if I turn it up to 100% then turn it off then back on it will have dropped to 54%, still sounds good to me, the only difference is when it's 100% it's 16 on my hifi but when it drops to 54% I need to turn up the hifi to 20/21 so no big deal. Until someone comes up with a solution I'll stick with it. My wife think they both have the same sound quality so there you are the boss has spoken.