Poweramp Equalizer detects the wrong Bluetooth device connected...

PauloON

Hello All,

I just purchased Poweramp Equalizer but I'm having this problem with attaching the bluetooth device detection.

I already contacted support and made all changes they asked, resetted, reinstalled etc. but it did not work.

The issue is that I connect a bluetooth headphone, lets say, JBL 600BT. I go and create a profile for it and when I try to save, the bluetooth device that appears in the list is another one that I have paired, like Airdots, for example, but this is not even connected, and the JBL 600BT that is connected does not show up.

And, if by chance it works for saving the profile correctly, I still have problems because when a device connects it gets identified as another and pulls up the wrong profile.

I made several tests and it always bugs up ramdonly. And yes, I don't have any profiles created with the general "Bluetooth" output selected.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is this a bug yet to be solved?

Thanks,

Paulo

59 minutes ago, PauloON said:

The issue is that I connect a bluetooth headphone, lets say, JBL 600BT. I go and create a profile for it and when I try to save, the bluetooth device that appears in the list is another one that I have paired, like Airdots, for example, but this is not even connected, and the JBL 600BT that is connected does not show up.

And, if by chance it works for saving the profile correctly, I still have problems because when a device connects it gets identified as another and pulls up the wrong profile.

Does anyone have the same problem? Is this a bug yet to be solved?

But the device you are connected to, that doesn’t show up, is actually playing? Can you share what your Android device is, and what your current OS is as well?

3 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

But the device you are connected to, that doesn’t show up, is actually playing? Can you share what your Android device is, and what your current OS is as well?

Yes, it was playing through Spotify.

I'm using an Asus Zenfone 6 updated with Android 11.

See an example screenshot:

Real connected device: https://prnt.sc/1y7nck7

What shows up: https://prnt.sc/1y7nha0

Thanks for helping.

More info:

Version Info ======================
Build: Poweramp Equalizer build-908-arm64-play full verified cached
Store: Play
Arch: 64
Skin: ActivityTheme_Black
Device: asus ASUS_I01WD msmnile ASUS_I01WD WW_I01WD [arm64-v8a,
armeabi-v7a, armeabi]
Installer: com.android.vending (27.6.16-21 [0] [PR] 403434949)
Android: 11
asus/WW_I01WD/ASUS_I01WD:11/RKQ1.200710.002/18.0610.2106.156-0:user/release-keys
en_AU

30 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

But does the BT connected device play in Poweramp in this case? I’m not sure how PA can communicate directly with a device without handshaking, and getting the device info.

Yes, it does play through Poweramp Equalizer normally. All the adjustments work, only that the identified BT device comes wrong, so it activates the wrong profile, and I have to switch it manually in order to fix.

Hi, I have the same issue.

I found and purchased Poweramp Equalizer just for this feature, because I need different equalizer profiles for different Bluetooth devices.

I have a Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra with MIUI V12.5.12.0 from xiaomi.eu.

I have the Poweramp equalizer running in the background with a notification enabled. Sometimes it recognizes the bluetooth speaker and switches the profile, sometimes not. When disconnecting it should actually switch automatically to my linear profile attached to the local device.

If I try to save my special profile again, I see the Bluetooth device 2 times. One is already checked, the other not which I also check and save the profile. But it did not help.

22 hours ago, mssm said:

Hi, I have the same issue.

I found and purchased Poweramp Equalizer just for this feature, because I need different equalizer profiles for different Bluetooth devices.

I have a Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra with MIUI V12.5.12.0 from xiaomi.eu.

I have the Poweramp equalizer running in the background with a notification enabled. Sometimes it recognizes the bluetooth speaker and switches the profile, sometimes not. When disconnecting it should actually switch automatically to my linear profile attached to the local device.

If I try to save my special profile again, I see the Bluetooth device 2 times. One is already checked, the other not which I also check and save the profile. But it did not help.

I also bough the app just because of this feature. Very frustrating.

I've posted a separate question if one could activate a profile using Tasker, in which we could "fix" this problem.

Let's see if someone knows.

Thanks,

Paulo.

I did have a look at this issue, but found it very difficult to replicate reliably (Samsung Android 11). I did notice one occasion where the currently connected BT device didn't appear in the list, but wasn't able to reproduce it again.

I think it was related to connecting one device, then turning on another already-paired device (which overrode the existing BT connection and took over for output) and then trying to go back to using the first device again in the same session. I stopped and restarted the BT connection to fix that. So maybe it's worth checking to see if that is what is causing your issue (basically hot-swapping BT devices).

However once two individual BT device names had been saved into the EQ presets list, they seemed to switch automatically from one EQ preset to the other as expected when a new connection is established.

Andre

My Bluetooth devices all have individual names, nothing duplicate. When you also apply a profile to your phone (no BT device connected) does it also switch back as expected when disconnecting the bluetooth device?

@mssm Yes, when disconnecting from a BT device it seems to switch back correctly to the EQ settings that were in place before the BT preset was triggered. I've not tried creating an actual 'phone speaker' preset though, as it seems a bit pointless given the quality of most phone speakers - there's basically nothing you can do about it.

Andre

Here you can see the problem "in action" again.

I connected JBL 600, which still does not have a profile created yet:

Screenshot_20211108-231425471_1.thumb.png.a0f8a00a3fe143f281247b220585945d.png

Poweramp Equalizer "reads" as if VW GIM (my car) is connected, and pulls up the wrong profile:

Screenshot_20211108-231415860_1.thumb.png.e69bf8b4348799a22acb6d1b76db8af8.png

I manually switch to the correct one, and when I try to save, the BT device also appears as if "VW GIM" was connected, and no signal of "JBL TUNE600BTNC":

Screenshot_20211108-231512214_1.thumb.png.02efd60c09eead8859063a0ef7ffffea.png

How is this possible?

Thanks,

Paulo.

2 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

@PauloON Was the JBL the only thing that you had connected recently, or had you disconnected the VW BT device recently?

Andre

Hi Andre,

The last "recent" (actually hours ago) device I had connected that day was the "Redmi Airdots" you can see in the bluetooth list.

The VW GIM is the only device that I'm keeping attached to a profile, but it randomly keeps activating with other bluetooth devices that I connect.

Then I have to go and manually switch the profile to the correct one.

I tried attaching the "general" bluetooth device to another profile to see if other BT devices would pull it it but it also goes random. Sometimes it identifies correctly, and sometimes a headset or speaker appear wrongly as VW GIM.

I'm not being able to find a pattern to this.

Let me know if you need more tests or information.

Thanks,

Paulo.

Something I noticed, I had the Soundcore app installed for my Soundcore headphones: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.oceanwing.soundcore  This is also watching bluetooth for it's specific headphone and also has equalizer settings.

After I have removed the app it seems to work when connecting to a simple BT speaker (no soundcore) and disconnecting and connecting and disconnecting. Poweramp is switching the equalizer now as expected. Could be related eventually.

Here I also have the question, if multiple equalizers could have conflicts? The Soundcore app has special equalizers for their devices and is also able to create a custom equalizer profile based on some listening tests. So I don't like to drop that app. In general should I just create a linear equalizer in Poweramp for those devices that are managed by Soundcore?

4 hours ago, mssm said:

Here I also have the question, if multiple equalizers could have conflicts? The Soundcore app has special equalizers for their devices and is also able to create a custom equalizer profile based on some listening tests. So I don't like to drop that app. In general should I just create a linear equalizer in Poweramp for those devices that are managed by Soundcore?

It is generally not a good idea to run two equalizers. Similar bands may be boosted or cut, resulting in clipping or significant drops that are not expected.

• 1 year later...

After years this main feature is still not working properly on Xiaomi MIUI12 and 13, Xiaomi Mii 11 Ultra.

Often the reported Bluetooth device is just wrong and points to some device that was connected some time ago.

• 1 month later...

@mssm On Xiaomi-device you have to dissable all onboard soundeffects like equalizer, dolby-atmos and so on. I had the same problem on Mi10Pro, Mi11Ultra and now on Xiaomi13Ultra. After disabling everything works fine for me. 

I have disabled internal equalizer. Poweramp Equalizer generally works, but often it detects the wrong Bluetooth device.

And by the way, DVC often fails, even though I have disabled Absolute volume for Bluetooth. Sometimes it helps killing Poweramp Equalizer and restart the app, but sometimes this doesn't help either.

Though sometimes DVC works 

@mssm if the Absolute volume detection fails (it depends on short volume changes, and if something else is also changes volume at the moment of detection, it will incorrectly disable DVC) - just disable "No DVC for Absolute volume" option. That will disable that detection logic. As for incorrect BT device detection, please be more specific, starting from your Equalizer app build. Thanks!