Convoluted Mess

John Doe
Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

Somehow, and I'm not sure how, I was able to have the player go back to the album songs when I hit the artwork. The back button brings me to the list of albums in the artists folder and hitting back again brings me to my hierarchical folders list. This is how it should work. I'm not sure how long I spent trying to get it to do that. I must have somehow weaved my way through the labyrinthine maze that is the convoluted mess known as "Settings". I did it on my new phone that I bought. I reset my old phone to its original state and installed Poweramp on it to use as a dedicated music player at home. After spending at least half an hour wading through the quagmire, I still wasn't able to accomplish this seemingly impossible task. When I hit the artwork it brings me to a list of every song in my library and the back button brings me back to the library where I have to hit "Folders Hierarchy" and start over. I've even tried exporting my settings from my new phone and importing them in my old phone.

So how does one achieve the impossible goal of going back to the album songs, then the artist album list and then the list of artists folders? Somehow I've managed to do it once. No other player I've ever used has made, what should be the default way of working, into the 13th labor of Hercules.

• Solution

It's nothing to do with Settings, it's based on what mode (Catgeory) you are currently listening to.

If you start playing from the 'All Songs' list, that's the list that you will be returned to when you tap on the artwork area. However if you start playback from the Folders Heirarchy library category, that's the mode that will be used for that session, and the list you will see when you tap on the artwork area.

It's one of the downsides of having ton of power and options, there's a bit of a learning curve.

Andre

26 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

If you start playing from the 'All Songs' list, that's the list that you will be returned to when you tap on the artwork area. However if you start playback from the Folders Heirarchy library category, that's the mode that will be used for that session, and the list you will see when you tap on the artwork area.

Now I feel like an idiot. I'm used to Gonemad Ver. 2 (which is great) and Pulsar+ (which I'd definitely NOT recommend).

Thanks.

2 hours ago, John Doe said:

I must have somehow weaved my way through the labyrinthine maze that is the convoluted mess known as "Settings".

The settings are actually pretty well organized in my opinion. Separate pages for each specific range of functions. Plus there is a handy dandy search button at the top that will help find anything that seems to be hiding just when you need it most. It sure beats most other players that are lacking features or personalized options.

As I mentioned before, one of the problems of an app that is feature-packed is that the methods to control that power can get increasingly complex, especially when features have been added and modified somewhat organically over a period of 10+ years. Most PA options are pretty logical once you get used to them, but I agree there is a learning curve when you first start using the app. That said, for simple operation it generally works very well "out of the box" in terms of being able to listen to music.

I guess my single biggest suggestion to make the Settings screens more logical would be to change the structure of the Audio > Output menu. Currently the top level itemises the audio technologies available (OpenSL, AudioTrack, AAudio, Hi-Res, etc) and the user has to drill down to find which listening devices are using those methods. Personally I would prefer to see the initial layout listing the devices first (wired headset, speaker, Bluetooth, USB DAC, etc) and you would tap to drill down to adjust the chosen technical method for that device. It just seems more intuitive that way, and would make explaining it to new users a lot easier.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

As I mentioned before, one of the problems of an app that is feature-packed is that the methods to control that power can get increasingly complex...

Gonemad Version 2 has way more options than Poweramp and the interface is infinity more customizable. It's also much easier to use because the settings are set out in a much more logical way. There are no small print subsettings that require long presses or drilling down. For example... in Poweramp, to enable the +/- 10 seconds "Pro Buttons" you don't just have to go into the Skin Settings, pick the "Simple Seekbar"  and turn on the "Pro Buttons" like you would think you would... no, you have to also have to go into the "Library" settings (why in the hell is this in the library?) and turn it on there, but then you have to also change the "Per Track Progress" slider to zero. There is absolutely nothing logical about that. It only adds to the frustration to a convoluted mess.

Edited by John Doe

The +/-10s icons were a bolt-on addition intended for longer tracks only, and its activation was thus linked to the 'Per Track Restore' feature which used the same duration-based threshold system, hence it is in that same section. It's not a stand-alone on/off system.

Pro Buttons are enabled by default these days. Historically, the original v3 interface did not offer them at all (just one central play/pause button, with only swipe gesture control for track changing and no category change operation at all). The Skin menu seemed a sensible location for this 'new' option at the time, but maybe it would make more sense in the Player UI menu now? It is a skinable feature to be fair.

Perhaps one day Max will undertake a complete overhaul of the Settings submenus, as 10+ years of organic change and ad hoc additions is bound to have resulted in some things that no longer make sense with a fresh perspective. But then doing that would prevent him doing other work on actual feature requests, so it's a question of priorities I guess.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The +/-10s icons were a bolt-on addition intended for longer tracks only...

It's required because the alternative makes it's too easy to accidentally hit it and change the album. Ideally it would be removed altogether. I'm not trying to compare apples and oranges here, but Gonemad's interface is extremely customizable and displays only the information I want to see exactly how I want to see it

Poweramp.thumb.png.683c557151190816ce34ae77e233eb14.pngGonemad.thumb.png.d256e703618781b520929f339ad22ab1.png

3 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

If they both worked the same way, there would only be one app.

They both do things the other can't as far as playback is concerned. They can both have a user friendly interface and still be different under the hood.

Edited by John Doe