How many 'tracks' can be on one 'album'?

dvhttn

Basically as the subject asks but I use 'track' and 'album' as they are used historically for real physical media. I did search but couldn't really find anything but I recollect seeing '99' as the max. number?

The reason I ask is  that sometimes I make up an 'album' from a lot of miscellaneous tracks so a max, if it exists, would be nice to know. And how does this work if an 'album' is split across 3 'CDs' (in mp3tag this would be the 'discnumber')?

(I know I could name the albums slightly differently such as 'XYZ Volume 1', 'XYZ Volume 2', etc but it'd be nice not to).

Thanks in advance. 

David

You can have as many tracks in an album as you like - for example I have one that I call "Singles" which contains 1114 songs and counting. However if you want to organise and sort them using the Track Number tag, there is a maximum value for that field of 999. The Disc Number field maxes out at 99 I seem to recall.

Andre

6 hours ago, dvhttn said:

Basically as the subject asks but I use 'track' and 'album' as they are used historically for real physical media. I did search but couldn't really find anything but I recollect seeing '99' as the max. number?

Redbook for CD spec is 99 tracks, which is what you may be referring to. But in the digital media world this limit does not apply.

Ah, the disc max. is 99, that must be what I vaguely remembered.  So effectively 99x999 if I want track numbers to be valid. That's fine for what I'm after.

As for "in the digital media world this limit does not apply", that's very true. But software development means compromises are made, limits are put on structures mainly at the whim of the developer. Which is why I thought I'd find out, in this case, what those limits are.

Sorted.

David

9 hours ago, andrewilley said:

The limit is partly for display space reasons, and partly so auto-recognition of track numbers from filenames doesn't try to interpret dates/etc.

Yep, I definitely wouldn't like to be Max coding around stuff like that!