A manual "File Browser" (as an on-the-fly alternative to scanning)

haddy

Hi,

Is anyone privy to the idea of PowerMP having it's own manual 'File Explorer'? A File Explorer would simply be afile-manager-like feature that would be accessible from within PowerMP's 'folders' screen and would allow for manual file browsing of the whole of a user's Android system (just like a file-manager) except that this File Explorer within PowerMP would be heavily cut-down in file-manager features and would also be auto-filtered to only recognize Media file-extensions (audio/video and playlist files) and no others...Perhaps with user settings to configure what file-extensions are filtered .ogg, .mp3, .m4a etc

9Y7Pt.png

So if a song is opened from an external file-manager like ASTRO, into PowerMP then upon clicking on song info the user would be taken to this proposed File Explorer view (Folders screen, not Library screen). Also a PowerMP manual 'File Explorer' could support "Lazy loading" of files i.e. files loaded in a folder slowly appear and not fast-scanned conventionally.

Many video players apps (ffmpeg ones) on Android offer their own 'File Explorer' most notably MoboPlayer and RockPlayer.

The feature request of this topic would consolidate with and certainly address the issues of these two topics:

http://forum.poweram...__fromsearch__1

http://forum.poweram...__fromsearch__1

So, the idea is to add file related operations (rename/copy/move etc) to Folders' Hierarchical view?

NO, it's not that

The 'File Explorer' would be what the user clicks on, to browse for file's on phone/sdcard (like a file-manager).

There would be no rename/copy/move operations. Simply a file browser only.

So, how different would that be from Hierarchical view in Folders?

Because it would be intended for non-scanned folders. I.e. all/any folders of the phone/sdcard like a standard Android file browser, regardless if the folders/files are in the PowerMP Library or not.

That's why I mean by 'manual' or 'on-the-fly' file browse+playback. :)

Thank you crimper :)

Inside the "Genres" Library screen, at the top there is 'all songs from this genre' clickable sub-heading menu - and this is what I think "File Explorer" would display as in the Folders screen. Just as illustrated in the screenshot above.

Just a thought.

Archived