Turn Off Resampler?

GoremanX

Just now, andrewilley said:

Some manufacturers (e.g. Samsung) lock bitrates to frequencies. So for example 192kHz will automatically enable 24-bit. Might be what's happening here too.

Andre

May be. But again, when NO DVC is off, it locks to 48khz (even if i choose 44.1) and 16bit.

with NO DVC ON it properly goes to 44.1 and up, with rise in volume.

may be that since Hiby R6 2020 has the DTA function already in OS bypassing Android sampling, the function in Poweramp works on the contrary?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Daniele Martire Most DAP devices have custom hardware architecture, and more importantly the internal processing is already hi-res. So DVC is not required and should be disabled as you have now figured out. The sample format bit depth is also not selectable, as these are locked to match the sample rate that you choose. This isn’t just for  Hiby, you should see the same on your iBasso DX160 as well (I also have this device).

Unfortunately a bit-perfect option is not currently available with Poweramp, although this has been requested many times in the past. While I agree with the assessment that was posted by @maxmp some time ago regarding the standard Android implementation not truly being able to handle this well in the past, the sheer number of newer Android-based hi-res capable DAPs and  phones should be considered for adding it now. Neutron and UAPP both support bit perfect playback, as do some of the device manufacturer apps like Hiby, Fiio, and Mango (iBasso) players. These work even in shuffle modes with files that have different sample depth and rates, so it is definitely possible to be done. 

On the flip side of this however, the processing these units typically do for anything is at 32 or even 64 bit, prior to handing the digital signal off to the DACs. So unless all DSP effects including EQ and tone, delays, compressors, expanders, etc. are disabled, there will already be resampling applied. In these cases I would suggest you select either (1) the highest bitrate your device can handle (or at least the highest rate your files have) for maximum flexibility, or (2) the most common bitrate in your library (I’d guess 44.1kHz if you’ve ripped most from CD or 48kHz if you are purchasing online) , and only switch manually to match higher rates when critically listening based on the tracks you are listening to. At least until when, and hopefully not if, bit-perfect gets added as an option.

These are just my personal suggestions based on my best experience to date. Poweramp’s UI and library management are far superior to any of the above mentioned apps. But a bit-perfect option at some point would be a welcome upgrade!😉

9 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

@Daniele Martire Most DAP devices have custom hardware architecture, and more importantly the internal processing is already hi-res. So DVC is not required and should be disabled as you have now figured out. The sample format bit depth is also not selectable, as these are locked to match the sample rate that you choose. This isn’t just for  Hiby, you should see the same on your iBasso DX160 as well (I also have this device).

Unfortunately a bit-perfect option is not currently available with Poweramp, although this has been requested many times in the past. While I agree with the assessment that was posted by @maxmp some time ago regarding the standard Android implementation not truly being able to handle this well in the past, the sheer number of newer Android-based hi-res capable DAPs and  phones should be considered for adding it now. Neutron and UAPP both support bit perfect playback, as do some of the device manufacturer apps like Hiby, Fiio, and Mango (iBasso) players. These work even in shuffle modes with files that have different sample depth and rates, so it is definitely possible to be done. 

On the flip side of this however, the processing these units typically do for anything is at 32 or even 64 bit, prior to handing the digital signal off to the DACs. So unless all DSP effects including EQ and tone, delays, compressors, expanders, etc. are disabled, there will already be resampling applied. In these cases I would suggest you select either (1) the highest bitrate your device can handle (or at least the highest rate your files have) for maximum flexibility, or (2) the most common bitrate in your library (I’d guess 44.1kHz if you’ve ripped most from CD or 48kHz if you are purchasing online) , and only switch manually to match higher rates when critically listening based on the tracks you are listening to. At least until when, and hopefully not if, bit-perfect gets added as an option.

These are just my personal suggestions based on my best experience to date. Poweramp’s UI and library management are far superior to any of the above mentioned apps. But a bit-perfect option at some point would be a welcome upgrade!😉

Thanks for the in depth explaination!:) appreciated!