Ability to Star/Favorite albums

benjt

As the title says, I would like the ability to "star" albums. "Starred albums" would appear alongside your other Library items (All Songs, Albums, Genres, etc) and similarly in Android Auto. It could be albums of interest, a list of albums on deck for a road trip, recently purchased albums or any other album we want to find in a couple taps. I had this as a de facto feature in Google Play Music as "Downloaded Albums." Since I downloaded an album from the cloud, it was something new or interesting.

On issue I can see is that Poweramp is rather more track-based in the way it stored tag data rather than album-based. 'Album' is just one concept of more than a dozen categories that you can use to group your music - Folders, Years, Genres, Artists, etc.

What might make sense is if PA could display an aggregate rating for any given category, based on the average rating of its contents. So if an album consists of (for example) ten 5-star tracks and three 4-star tracks, the album view would show as around 4.7 stars.

Andre

29 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

What might make sense is if PA could display an aggregate rating for any given category, based on the average rating of its contents. So if an album consists of (for example) ten 5-star tracks and three 4-star tracks, the album view would show as around 4.7 stars.

How do you transpose this example to users that selected the Like/Unlike rating type? When an album has half or more liked tracks it will be flagged as liked?

9 minutes ago, Steverino said:

Additionally I would like to see List option under albums as "recently played"

Again, albums don't really exist as an entity in their own right, except as a collection of individual songs that happen to have the same text in their 'Album Title' tag, so there is not really any concept of how recently an 'album' has been heard, merely its songs.

Andre

15 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Again, albums don't really exist as an entity in their own right, except as a collection of individual songs that happen to have the same text in their 'Album Title' tag, so there is not really any concept of how recently an 'album' has been heard, merely its songs.

Andre

So theoretically, having albums list as recently played could display "collections" that had individual songs that were recently played?

1 hour ago, Steverino said:

So theoretically, having albums list as recently played could display "collections" that had individual songs that were recently played?

Yes, if Max wanted to add it I would have thought referencing the most recently played single track within an album group would be the easiest way to do it - just like when albums are sorted by Year for example, when it's really the individual tracks that have Year tags.

Andre

Devils Advocate: "As I user would strongly argue that there are albums in Poweramp as I have categories like "Albums" and so on. What's technically is another topic which doesn't concern me as an user...".

Technically I agree that an Album is just a mashup of tag combinations, most commonly Artist + Album name forms one album. Then comes the head aches such as the album year as Andre mentioned, for a studio album all tracks should probably have the same year, but then we have the compilations as I inquired about in another thread where you could have different years, how should those be treated? Grab the year of the first track? Mark them as "Various"? ...?

I guess I would tackle this internally in the app as two different play flows/modes, did the user kick of the playing from a "track" or an "album" category. In track mode I would just bump the play count after a certain % of the track is played, just like it's today. In album mode I would bump the album played after a certain % of the album would be played but I would also bump the track played counter according to the normal rules.

Then comes the fun of updating all the categories with all the search parameters and sort options and so on. The categories must be a pain to maintain, as there are tons of options and the matrix must be enormous.

Maybe it would be time to scrap the predefined categories and replace them with user definable paths/categories/selections/views/...(insert your favorite name)? The player that I use on my iPhone has implemented paths, where you basically start out with "all tracks", then decide on grouping, sorting... which creates a selection for you, and you are then able to save it as a category. This gives me the flexibility of having multiple Album views, I have one for recently added and one by artist.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:32 PM, Steverino said:

Not here to self-promote my requests but we talked extensively about the implementation of something like that here (with a brief summary by Andre here), so if you're interested in it check it out

Archived