"Next queue" and more queues

Hi

I would like there to be a "next queue", where it can be accessed from the same playback interface (Player UI) or through another menu, where the next tracks to be played are displayed and to be able to order or alternate them as one wants, why ?, When "queue" or "all songs" is played in random mode, there is only one way to see the next track but not all the others or the order in which they will come, I understand that if one plays in random then it will be played randomly , but I think it would be very useful to organize those next tracks and know which ones are to come.

Another suggestion, although I think this is not so necessary but it could be useful: having several "queues", this seems useful if one wants to build a queue for a certain time, and without having to delete that queue to be able to create another with the tracks you want. I understand that there are playlists, but there is not always a need to create one, the queues are for moments or momentary situations.

Excuse English, I use a translator

If you are just playing the queue with the regular Shuffle feature enabled, you cannot then change the order of the tracks (or see upcoming tracks) as they are fully random.

However if you first enqueue all the tracks you want to listen to, you can then use Library > Queue > (three-dots menu) > Re-Sort. That allows you to physically re-order all of the songs currently in the Queue in any way you like - including randomising them. Once you've done that, you can view the new random playback order and even move songs up or down the sequence (by long-pressing on song titles in the Queue list).

You are right that the concept of multiple queues is really covered by Playlists, which can do everything that the Queue can do and quite a lot more, and you can create as many as you like and switch between them. They have the same Re-sort feature that the Queue does, so you can shuffle them and then see the new sequence in the list and move songs around.  

Andre

17 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

If you are just playing the queue with the regular Shuffle feature enabled, you cannot then change the order of the tracks (or see upcoming tracks) as they are fully random.

However if you first enqueue all the tracks you want to listen to, you can then use Library > Queue > (three-dots menu) > Re-Sort. That allows you to physically re-order all of the songs currently in the Queue in any way you like - including randomising them. Once you've done that, you can view the new random playback order and even move songs up or down the sequence (by long-pressing on song titles in the Queue list).

You are right that the concept of multiple queues is really covered by Playlists, which can do everything that the Queue can do and quite a lot more, and you can create as many as you like and switch between them. They have the same Re-sort feature that the Queue does, so you can shuffle them and then see the new sequence in the list and move songs around.  

Andre

Thank for the reply 

Since they are mentioned, you have all the reason, I had already seen the option to reorder just wanted to use it in practice because it was done in another music player (habit of use). But if, I'm going to start using it like that. Now I read well not much importance what I have raised jajajaja. 

Thanks. 

A couple of things I forgot to mention before by the way:

If you are listening in All Songs mode (or other categories) with Shuffle enabled, you can use the library three-dots-menu 'List Options' screen to set the viewing mode to see the tracks "By Shuffle Order". This allows you to follow the order in which PA has randomised the tracks - both forward and backward through the list. You can't change that order for an odd track or two though (other than by creating a whole new shuffle sequence) so for that functionality you still need to use the Queue (was as so mentioned is momentary) or a Playlist (more long-lasting if you want to create several lists of songs for later use). 

Also, adding to the Queue normally adds the new song(s) at the end of the the queue, so the most recently added songs will get played after any existing ones have been played first. However a new feature was added in recent builds which allows you to insert new items at the start of the queue, so they will play next. You can enable this mode with Settings > Library > Queue > Play Next.

Andre

29 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

A couple of things I forgot to mention before by the way:

If you are listening in All Songs mode (or other categories) with Shuffle enabled, you can use the library three-dots-menu 'List Options' screen to set the viewing mode to see the tracks "By Shuffle Order". This allows you to follow the order in which PA has randomised the tracks - both forward and backward through the list. You can't change that order for an odd track or two though (other than by creating a whole new shuffle sequence) so for that functionality you still need to use the Queue (was as so mentioned is momentary) or a Playlist (more long-lasting if you want to create several lists of songs for later use). 

Also, adding to the Queue normally adds the new song(s) at the end of the the queue, so the most recently added songs will get played after any existing ones have been played first. However a new feature was added in recent builds which allows you to insert new items at the start of the queue, so they will play next. You can enable this mode with Settings > Library > Queue > Play Next.

Andre

Right after you answered I saw those options and made better use of the playlist.  But, it seems to me that I still lack that option to "play next" out of the queue, I made a playlist of more than 80 songs, two specific songs I wanted to play after the current one, but selecting both could not upload them  at the same time and if you can do it, it is a bit uncomfortable to have to go up to where the one that is playing is, it seems to me that it would be easier to be able to select one, two, three or several songs and give it to play next and they are automatically ordered under the one that is playing  is playing at that moment (inside that list).

I understand that the "play next" button works with the queue, but in my opinion that function could be implemented within the playlists and that for obvious reasons you can only use that button with the songs on that list.  If you are in a playlist and you try to press the button outside the list, then it works as it normally works, but being in it, the "play next" action does it in there.

Do not you think of a good idea? I think it would facilitate or add a plus to use the playlists, and I think that in practice more than one will be useful for you.

Again apologize for English, I'm using translator. 

When listening to either the Queue or a Playlist, you can pick any song in the planned running order and either drag it to the top to make it play next, or simply click on it to start it playing now. [ @maxmp might it be worth allowing dragging multi-selected items up and down the Queue and Playlists, allowing the user to move several songs at once? ]

You can still use the temporary queue during playback of a Playlist by the way, which would enable you to find a few songs that you'd like to hear sooner and Add to Queue. However having queues nested recursively within queues within queues could become an Escher-like nightmare to navigate. Basically "Inception" for audio. :)

I do agree that the new 'Play Next' feature perhaps still needs a bit of work though, as it would be more useful if you could choose to insert song(s) either as Next or at the End of the queue dynamically, rather than needing to preselect one mode in Settings (See this post). 

Andre

On 8/14/2020 at 5:18 AM, andrewilley said:

When listening to either the Queue or a Playlist, you can pick any song in the planned running order and either drag it to the top to make it play next, or simply click on it to start it playing now. [ @maxmp might it be worth allowing dragging multi-selected items up and down the Queue and Playlists, allowing the user to move several songs at once? ]

You can still use the temporary queue during playback of a Playlist by the way, which would enable you to find a few songs that you'd like to hear sooner and Add to Queue. However having queues nested recursively within queues within queues could become an Escher-like nightmare to navigate. Basically "Inception" for audio. :)

I do agree that the new 'Play Next' feature perhaps still needs a bit of work though, as it would be more useful if you could choose to insert song(s) either as Next or at the End of the queue dynamically, rather than needing to preselect one mode in Settings (See this post). 

Andre

Exactly, and I think if you are right, the use of several tails can damage the excellent and easy use of the player. What if I think you have to keep in mind is moving several selected tracks within a playlist, it is a detail that personally misses to have an easier and practical experience (it is something personal, do not like the playlists players other people, in the same way I think it's a usefulness for all). 

And finish giving more utility to the "play next" button (as was being discussed in the other post), which was personally a very much needed option, I even bought Poweramp a few days before they implemented it and I felt it was missing, now it only remains that upgrade it for a better experience. Really very happy with everything

Please add a "next queue" that would be the most basic functionality in any music player. It's just a pity that a music player of this quality lacks the fundamentals. I'm switching between other music players and this constantly for that very reason. I hit "shuffle" and go to sleep and knowing what's to come next, if I'm not in the mood for it, it would really help. This is just one example and I really can't stress this enough of how much of importance it is for me and so many others too.

There already is a facility to enqueue tracks to play next.

Use the Library views to find and select the track/s (or albums, folders, whatever) that you want to hear, and tap ">> Queue". The default behaviour is to add any newly queued items after anything that you've already got queued, and for the queue to commence playing after the current song has finished, but those behaviours can be changed in Settings > Library > Queue. You can also specify whether you want the queue to always play in the displayed order (which would normally the order you added the tracks) or to respect the Shuffle button and play the queue in a random sequence, where obviously you won't know what's coming next.

You can re-sort the queue - even making its order fully random - using List Options in the Queue screen, or you can move specific songs around,  or remove them.

Andre

Archived