FiiO M6 - No Hi Res output

JeffP

I have a  new Fiio M6 and purchased power amp v3.  Everything seems to be defaulting to 16 bit/44Khz output, even when playing Hi Res (24 bit/96KHz) files to either wired headphones or wireless phones connected via Aptx HD.    

In Poweramp, when I go to Settings>Audio>Ouput> Hi Res Settings,  the only option visible is USB DAC.   I don't see the Wired Speaker/AUX, Bluetooth, etc. options that appear in the Open ES and AudioTrack output menus.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

On 6/29/2020 at 6:44 PM, JeffP said:

I have a  new Fiio M6 and purchased power amp v3.  Everything seems to be defaulting to 16 bit/44Khz output, even when playing Hi Res (24 bit/96KHz) files to either wired headphones or wireless phones connected via Aptx HD.    

In Poweramp, when I go to Settings>Audio>Ouput> Hi Res Settings,  the only option visible is USB DAC.   I don't see the Wired Speaker/AUX, Bluetooth, etc. options that appear in the Open ES and AudioTrack output menus.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

i dont think the m6 supports Hi Res on bluetooth, not working on my m6.

But you should have it with cable.

Thanks.  I updated the firmware to the latest (Poweramp-v3-build-874-uni.apk) and the wired connection now shows up and outputs 24b/96Khz.  The version on the FiiO site is many versions older.

• 9 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 17:36, andrewilley said:

La última versión es en realidad 876, pero probablemente no sea relevante para este problema en particular.

Andre

Good aftenoon. 

Is there any solution for this matter?

Thanks

The original question was regarding 24/96 resolution using Poweramp on the Fiio M6 over AptxHD.   While I can get this resolution over headphone or USB outputs, it  seems to be limited to 16/44 over AptxHD.  

I am using the latest version of Poweramp (893) and the M6 is running the lates firmware.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Jeff

Support for high-res and more recent Fiios was introduced a while ago (build 838 I think)but not sure whether that included the M6. You say you've already updated the Fiio firmware, which I was going to suggest. Latest Poweramp here in the forum downloads is build 905, probably won't make a difference but shouldn't do any harm either.

Try turning Bluetooth DVC off for this device and see if that helps (or turn it on if it's off). Might also be worth looking into Android Settings > Developer Options > Bluetooth settings. e.g. make sure Disable Absolute Volume is ticked, and try different AVRCP versions and adjusting HD/codec/sample rate/bits.

Andre

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

I tried disabling DVC. For a 24/96 file, using Bluetooth (aptxHD) the resampler is down converting from 96K to 44KHz and the OpenSL ES Output is 16/44.  Doesn't seem to change no matter what I do.

When I plug in headphones, the resampler is upconverting to 192kHz and the OpenSL ES Output is 24/192.   Is there a way to keep the resampler from down converting when using bluetooth? 

Thanks, Jeff

That's been the problem since day 1.   When you go to the Hi-res output, the only options that show up are wired headset/aux and USV DAC.  No option for bluetooth.  Is there no way to set the resampler manually? 

Thanks, Jeff

On 4/22/2021 at 3:14 AM, JeffP said:

That's been the problem since day 1.   When you go to the Hi-res output, the only options that show up are wired headset/aux and USV DAC.  No option for bluetooth.  Is there no way to set the resampler manually? 

Thanks, Jeff

That´s the problem... 😞 and Open SL I´m afraid isn´t the best way.   Are you playing AptxHd on Fiio Music player ? I have to say default player it´s a rubbish

@JeffP you probably perceive default -6dB "headroom" for non-dvc mode as "not great". It's known that most humans perceive louder sound as "better". In blind tests, 128kB mp3 +6dB will win vs 192kHz/24bit flac 0dB. So if you may start with Flat equalizer and Bass tone on 0 + headroom set to 0dB ("No DVC Headroom Gain" option) for the fare comparison.