Casting to Google home hub issue.

Duarian

I thought this was a hub issue, but every other music player I try this with works flawlessly.

When casting to the nest/Google home hub, music plays perfectly as long as the app is on display on the hub itself. However, if I minimize Poweramp on the hub and let the display 'sleep' or go ambient, audio stutters.

If the app is active, audio plays fine. I've tested this same process with other music players and music continues regardless of the screen going ambient or not. 

Has anyone else replicated this or found a solution? 

5 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Sounds like the device is not allowing PA to continue running properly while it is asleep.

Check in PA Settings > Misc to ensure Wakelock and Keep Service are enabled,  and also check in the device's power saving menu to ensure PA is excluded from any power saving features. 

Andre

Can you even do that on the nest hub? This isn't an issue with the phone mind you...it's casting to the nest hub itself.

Unfortunately I've tried both of those and even cranking the buffer size up to max on Poweramp. Same result. On the nest hub if Poweramp is not open audio is unplayable 😕

• 1 year later...

I was looking to see if anyone else had the same thing happen to them when streaming from Poweramp on Google Nest Hub as I had seen some issues with Chromecast or TV devices and found this old thread.

In my case (OnePlus 8 Pro - Android 11) I can broadcast from Poweramp (build-903) on Xiaomi Mi Smart Speaker, which includes its own Chromecast, but I can't listen to a full song on Google Nest Hub. As soon as Poweramp is no longer in the foreground (the Nest Hub shows the clock, for example) the audio freezes and at best stutters fragments of a few seconds.

The Google Nest Hub device is updated with the latest version of Chromecast.

On the phone I have tried every option I could think of.

On the audio output:
- Raised the buffer to 4000ms.
- Sampling at 44.1 khz and 16 bit.
In other Poweramp settings:
- Use Wakelock.
- Keep service.
- Always keep notification (the recommended option from Android 8 onwards).
In phone settings:
- Exempt from battery consumption optimization.

The thing is that it only happens to me in Google Nest Hub with Poweramp as other applications, both to play streaming (such as Spotify) as players for mp3 in the phone memory, do not have that problem.

Is there a setting I have overlooked or an idea I have not thought of to try? Has anyone found a solution to avoid using an alternative player just to be able to use with that device?

Thanks!

@sethnet thanks for the report. Yes, when Poweramp "page" is moved to the background on Home Hub it's given very low priority and audio can't be played uninterrupted. I adjusted various timings for this case and it should work much better with the next Chromecast update (to be pushed today). No Poweramp update is needed, though the next Poweramp builds will display elapsed time a bit better (Home Hub and CCwGTV request audio data in large chunks, thus elapsed time jumps in Poweramp UI).

7 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@sethnet thanks for the report. Yes, when Poweramp "page" is moved to the background on Home Hub it's given very low priority and audio can't be played uninterrupted. I adjusted various timings for this case and it should work much better with the next Chromecast update (to be pushed today). No Poweramp update is needed, though the next Poweramp builds will display elapsed time a bit better (Home Hub and CCwGTV request audio data in large chunks, thus elapsed time jumps in Poweramp UI).

Thank you very much @maxmp.
Right now my Nest Hub is using Chromecast version 1.52.249798 (being registered in the "Preview Program"). I will force a reboot in case I had already received a new version and if not, as soon as I receive it, I will test accordingly to share the results. And the same when the new version of Poweramp arrives to test how it shows the elapsed time.

@maxmp

Thank you very much.

Poweramp 904

OnePlus 8 Pro

Android 11

Google Nest Hub:

Software 35.32.12.358248230 (Must be what was updated while I was watching the Chromecast version 🤦🏻‍♂️

Chromecast 1.52.249748 (same as the one I had the other day)

I've been playing songs with the Poweramp screen in the background on the Nest Hub now without any sound stopping issues.

And it also shows quite accurately the timing of the audio with only minimal update delay when I bring the screen back to foreground.

As always congratulations on an excellent job.

Archived