songs skip

hypomaniac-eric

For several months since late winter I have been having problems with some mp3 songs skipping when changing songs on Poweramp.  I don't know if it's the end of the tracks or the beginning.  It sounds like when a CD skips.    I checked the songs on Musicbee on my computer and they're fine.   So I don't know if they're corrupted or if Poweramp has a bug.   But I've went from a GS7 to a GS9+ and resynced everything many times.   

Have you tried increasing the buffer size? Go to Settings > Audio > Output and find your selected output method for your listening device (speaker, headset, bluetooth, etc). Tap on its Settings cogwheel icon and increase the buffer size and see if that helps. You could also try reducing (or turning off completely) any cross-fade settings.

Andre

On 6/27/2019 at 3:32 AM, andrewilley said:

Have you tried increasing the buffer size? Go to Settings > Audio > Output and find your selected output method for your listening device (speaker, headset, bluetooth, etc). Tap on its Settings cogwheel icon and increase the buffer size and see if that helps. You could also try reducing (or turning off completely) any cross-fade settings.

Andre

thanks for the info.   No I haven't played with the settings but it wasn't a  problem until last feb or march.   and it seems to be certain songs or albums.   I have crossfade on.   I've been using the same default settings on this phone and the last phone with Poweramp.   This doesn't sound like that kind of skipping.   In the past when the audio cut out changing the buffering fixed it.   But this is more like a glitch.   that sounds like a chirp.   I can play through hundreds of songs and no problem but handful of songs or albums has this problem.   

On 6/29/2019 at 5:32 PM, andrewilley said:

If it is repeatable with two specific consecutive songs, could you upload them for checking?

Andre

Yes i can.   I have to catch them again to see which ones for sure.   I don't know if i need to re-encode them or what.   But I never had a problem before with them in the last several years of using them.   

On 7/1/2019 at 4:06 AM, andrewilley said:

No, don't re-encode anyway, just upload the exact files that cause the problem.

Andre

here you go.   https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p8XSRIsfO7BgpFm-j-7cWQ-dqTSvULql

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oOEj6-8o_LTrtU7p-PNyFXGLRQdcAlQn

here's two songs.   If i go from "what the hell" to "Push" then when "Push" comes on I hear a data chirp skip sound everytime i recreate the situation.  skip to the end of What the the hell and then let it change on it's own.  "Auto-advance Fading" is set to "No Fading".   So i guess I don't have crossfade on.   it also does the same then when going to the next song after Push.   and so on.   Funny thing is when i skip back to restart the songs it doesn't do this.   

6 hours ago, maxmp said:

@hypomaniac-eric Thanks for the files. Yes "Push" has some invalid block of data (most probably, album art or something like that) which is decoded - but it shouldn't. I will investigate this and try to fix.

I'm so glad you took notice since i didn't think to tag you in the post.   I'm glad you are figuring it out.   What did you use to analyze the file to look for invalid blocks?  I wonder if Musicbee can fix the files?  If not I can always rerip them.   Probably save these ones for testing purposes of course.  

6 hours ago, maxmp said:

Yes, this was issue with multiple APE tags in the end, with images (there is also valid ID3v2 tag in header, with image too). Added workaround for the next build 838.

Oh i see the APEv2 tags you're talking about under "tag inspector" in musicbee.   It's the MP3Gain tags.   I'm not sure what's invalid about them though.   I use MP3Gain on all my music.   Also started using the replay gain too.  I haven't decided if replay gain is better than MP3Gain or worth switching 40GB of music over to. 

1 hour ago, hypomaniac-eric said:

I haven't decided if replay gain is better than MP3Gain or worth switching 40GB of music over to. 

I rather doubt that using both methods gives any advantage. From what I recall of MP3Gain, it works by actually modifying the audio blocks within the file, applying changes in volume throughout the file. It doesn't actually adjust the data samples (so it does not create any further loss or damage the encoded data) but it does make the audio louder or quieter throughout the track, regardless of the playback software. ReplayGain on the other hand merely adds a simple +/- dB value in the header data, which is up to the playback software to interpret and use as it sees fit.

Andre

11 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I rather doubt that using both methods gives any advantage. From what I recall of MP3Gain, it works by actually modifying the audio blocks within the file, applying changes in volume throughout the file. It doesn't actually adjust the data samples (so it does not create any further loss or damage the encoded data) but it does make the audio louder or quieter throughout the track, regardless of the playback software. ReplayGain on the other hand merely adds a simple +/- dB value in the header data, which is up to the playback software to interpret and use as it sees fit.

Andre

which one do you use Andre?

Archived