Resuming long track

ultrarunner2019

This is for Poweramp V3 Pro (paid version)

I have some really long tracks - many songs in a 'DJ' style mix which I like to play through.

Problem is that, if I shut down my phone, the play always resumes from the beginning, not the position that was playing when I shut down.
I have ticked 'Keep Service', which seems to work when I close Poweramp but do not shut the phone down.

Any work-around for this?

Thanks
Ultrarunner

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you saying that PA is not remembering the position of the currently playing track when you stop/exit and later restart the app? Or that it is not saving the position for long tracks if you play some other PA music in the meantime and then return to the long mix later?

Andre

PA is not remembering current track position when I close the app and reboot or shut down and restart the phone, without playing another track.

I already set the 'Store/Restore per track progress and the slider to 10min. I have the 'Keep Service' option turned on. If that is not turned on, I think that PA will forget the track position even when I close and re-open it but do not restart the phone.

I played the track for 16 minutes, hit pause, and closed PA. If I re-open PA and hit play again, the track begins playing from where I left off. But if I close PA, then shut down or reboot the phone, then re-open PA, I still have the same track showing as the current track, but when I hit play, it starts from near the beginning - but not the exact beginning of the track. That in itself is very strange. Why would PA resume from near the beginning of the track, and not the exact beginning?

All is fine so long as I don't shut down or restart the phone. I can close PA (with or without stopping service) and it will remember the position of the track when re-opened.

Funny thing here: I have a mix track that is about 2 hours long. I am at 1hr 30 mins. I hit pause, then close PA. Then I restart the phone.
When I open PA again, the same track is displayed, but the time pointer is now at about 14 minutes (from the start). How did this happen? I can understand why it might restart at 0:00, but 0:14:nn?

I have tried uninstalling, then re-installing PA but this did not fix the problem.

Next, I may try moving PA to the SD card. The program itself is on internal storage, with all music files on the SD card. Perhaps if I move all of PA to the SD card it will remember the track position?

In the end, this isn't really a huge problem. I normally don't shut down or restart my phone during the day; only at night. But if I wanted to use PA to play audiobooks, then it would be a problem. I have another app that plays audiobooks, and it always remembers the position it was at (within a track) when I shut down and restart.

Edit: Moving PA to the SD card did not change anything.

I would not suggest running PA from an SD Card, it doesn't always like that.

Is this issue with ALL long tracks, or just some? Could it be an issue with the file encoding? And does PA remember the current position OK if you close the app and then remove if from recent apps before starting it again? (otherwise it's just waiting in memory to be recalled)

The 14mins issue might be the last position it did remember correctly, and unless PA manages to retain another location which survives a cold-boot, it might just be going back to that place again.

In case it's to do with any odd delay in re-mounting the SD Card after a restart, try putting one of the problem tracks on internal memory and see if the same happens there.

Andre

Well, I have no idea what is going on.

I thought - based on what andrewilley said, that perhaps this feature just doesn't work with .ogg files. So I converted the original .flac file (on my PC) to .mp3 and copied that file into the music library, and performed a full rescan.
Nope. Nothing changed. The play position always returned to what appeared to be an arbitrary time position when I rebooted the phone (but not if I just closed PA and then re-opened it).

Next, I cleared all data for PA. Then I set it up the same way I had previously:
Store/Restore Track Progress: ON
Track Duration for per track progress: at least 5min.
Keep Service: ON

Now, what exactly is 'Track Duration for per track progress? Does it determine how long the overall track must be before PA will use the Store/Restore Track Progress feature, or is it the minimum amount of time the track must be playing before PA will remember the time position?

After clearing all data (including cache of course), the play position returns to 0:00:00 when I reboot the phone. That makes more sense than 0:15:nn that it was returning to before.

The next thing I checked is the properties of the folder and file in question. The folder/file is not hidden, and read & write are enabled.
At one point, I even allowed PA to make system changes, but that did not change anything.

Being curious, I turned off 'Store/Restore Track Progress' completely.
For the .ogg file, no change whatsoever when I rebooted the phone. It still returns to 0:00:00 time.

I guess I should (could) upload the file in question, but considering that it is a 3 hour mix of copyrighted material that is not mine, I don't think it would be legal - at least not technically if I am going to be 'loyal' to RIAA and others...

Instead, I am going to create my file. I'm not a musician, but I do own a license to Reaper DAW. I will find some music that is public domain, create a mix from it in Reaper, and see what happens in PA. If there is still this problem, then I will upload the file here.

1 hour ago, ultrarunner2019 said:

Now, what exactly is 'Track Duration for per track progress? Does it determine how long the overall track must be before PA will use the Store/Restore Track Progress feature

Yes, it simply defines how long a song must be in order to be considered a 'long' track. I set mine about 20 mins, as I have some quite long single tracks that I don't want remembered, but none of my podcasts/etc are shorter than 20 mins.

Did you try putting this file into internal storage rather than SD Card? And does this happen with multiple files or just this one?

Andre

It happens with all files, both .mp3 and .ogg.
I tried moving a couple of the long files to the internal storage, but it made no difference.

Do you know where the track info is stored? this could be an Android problem. I'm running 7 on a LG Fiesta 2 on Tracfone service.

Edit: I have uploaded a 20 minute track in .mp3 format. The content is public domain, downloaded from Free Music Archive.
I created the mix in Reaper, rendered as .flac, then converted to .mp3 (and .ogg) using Foobar2000.

Public Domain Rock mix #1 short.mp3

I moved the long track into the default music folder on internal storage. Still will not return to last played position after phone restart.

I'm now looking into file tags. Is there anything anyone can tell me about tags? Such as what the tags would be for a podcast - which I would assume you want to be able to return to last played position.

The only other thing I can think of is that Poweramp does not support returning to last played position when the phone is turned off or restarted. That, or something with Android v7 that is wiping that particular byte(s) of storage when it is rebooted...

I have finally shed some light on what is happening here:

The play position WILL RESTORE position on a long track if I am playing that (long) track, and then SELECT ANOTHER TRACK to play, and then RETURN TO THE LONG TRACK. It will then restart playing the long track from where it was when I left it to select another track. It will do this even if I shut down or restart the phone between playing the other track and returning to the long track.
In addition: After the phone has been shut down or restarted, the play position on the long track will always return to where it was when I paused it to play another track - not to the position it was at when I shut down or restarted the phone.

If I pause the long track (or any track), then close PA but do not restart the phone, play will always resume where I paused it - regardless of length of track. This of course has nothing to do with Store/Restore Per Track Progress.
When 'Store/Restore Per Track Progress' is turned off, then play will always restart at 0:00 after switching to another track and returning. This just confirms that the feature is working.

In summary: In order for Store/Restore Per Track Progress to function, the user must:
1) Be listening to a track that is longer than the setting of 'Track Duration for Per Track Progress'.
2) Pause the long track, and switch to another track.
3) Return to the long track.

I would appreciate if someone could test this action, so I can confirm that this is how the feature is supposed to function.

Thanks
Ultrarunner

I can't see any reason for PA to store its new special 'long track saved position' while that track is still currently playing (or even paused), as that ought to be handled by PA's saving of the playback position of any currently playing track between sessions anyway. I think what seems to be happening is that the current playback position is not being saved when you reboot your device, but if there was a previous long-track saved position then it would be able to return to that as a 'newly loaded' track.

Try playing to (for example) 30 mins, then skip to another track (so it saves that 30:00 value) and then go back to the track and move to a different position in the song and reboot. See if it returns again to the old saved 30:00 mark when you restart PA.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

I can't see any reason for PA to store its new special 'long track saved position' while that track is still currently playing (or even paused), as that ought to be handled by PA's saving of the playback position of any currently playing track between sessions anyway. I think what seems toe be happening is that the current playback position is not being saved when you reboot your device, but if there was a previous long-track saved position then it would return to that as a 'new' track.

Try playing to 30mins in, skip to another track (so it saves the 30:00 value) and then go back to the track, move to a different position in the song and reboot. See if it returns again to the 30:00 mark.

Andre

Yes. It will return to the 30:00 minute position after rebooting, rather than the later position.
So I guess the feature to save track progress on long tracks applies only to changing to another track, and not rebooting the phone. Saving while rebooting is probably something that should be handled by Android.

So, I will just have to remember to change to another track just prior to shutting down the phone if I want to return to the current position in the long track. Not a problem - just that I need to remember to do this.
Another option would be to leave my phone powered on all the time, and just turn off the ringer. I tend to shut it down at night, as I sometimes receive unwanted calls at all hours of the night.

As I said, PA shouldn't need to specifically save long-track positions when exiting, as it should remember the position of the current track that was playing, regardless of length.

What happens with a regular short track? If you let something play to half-way through and then reboot your phone, does it come back to that mid-point when PA is next restarted (it should).

Andre

Not all tracks can be seeked, can be seeked precisely, or can be seeked without eating your battery (without fully decoding to the seek position). Please (while in lists) long press that track / Send / Gmail / gpmaxmpz@gmail.com - send it me for tests. Thanks!

The problem is not a specific file. I first experienced it while playing a 2+ hour track I created in Reaper from songs on my HDD. This track shows in PA and in MusicBee (on my PC) as a single track.
Then, after I decided I wanted to upload a long track to the forum, I created another long track (20 minutes) in Reaper from songs in public domain. I uploaded an .mp3 version of that track.
Both the 2 hour and the 20 minute tracks exhibit the same behavior in PA, which is as described in earlier posts here.
I even tried tagging the song as a podcast, thinking perhaps (on the outside chance) that PA would recognize that tag and handle it differently - but it did not.

Since it appears that this is an isolated problem, I have come to believe that it is an Android problem, not a PA problem. That said, my audiobook player always remembers the per-track position when I reboot my phone.

14 hours ago, maxmp said:

Not all tracks can be seeked, can be seeked precisely, or can be seeked without eating your battery (without fully decoding to the seek position). Please (while in lists) long press that track / Send / Gmail / gpmaxmpz@gmail.com - send it me for tests. Thanks!

I sent you the file, but was warned that it exceeds the 25Mb limit. The file is about 47Mb.

PA does not take any notice of the genre name, only the duration.

However you said earlier this is also happening with regular songs, for which PA is not remembering the position of the currently playing song if you turn off and reboot your phone while it is playing.

21 hours ago, ultrarunner2019 said:

Nope. When I play a 'short' song (which is shorter than the minimum set for 'Track Duration for Per Track Progress'),  play returns to 0:00 after a reboot.
This is after hitting pause while playing, closing PA, and rebooting.

So this issue seems to affects ALL currently playing music files, and if that's the case then treating it as a long-track issue is perhaps a red herring. In your above example, when you hit pause, close PA, reboot your phone and restart the app, you should always see the current track paused at the same location where you left off. 

Andre

Well, the fact that I must change to another track after pausing a long track in order to have the long track's position recorded in permanent memory - so that position is returned to after rebooting - is indeed associated only with long tracks, and effective only when Per Track Progress is enabled.

1 hour ago, ultrarunner2019 said:

Well, the fact that I must change to another track after pausing a long track in order to have the long track's position recorded in permanent memory - so that position is returned to after rebooting - is indeed associated only with long tracks, and effective only when Per Track Progress is enabled.

Whether the current track is long or short is not really relevant; for the CURRENTLY PLAYING (or paused) song in the main player interface, the listening position should be restored after a reboot. PA should always come back to the same song and playback-position that was present before the shutdown, just as if you simply turned the screen off and back on again. It what should always happen when exiting and restarting the player, and has been normal behaviour since the app first came out.

You said above that this was not working for you for any songs - i.e. after a reboot, any song will come back to 0:00 as if it was a new song, rather than a partly-played one (or in the case of longer tracks, it might restore to whatever old 'save-for-later' position might have been created in the past when switching back and forth between other long tracks).

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Whether the current track is long or short is not really relevant; for the CURRENTLY PLAYING (or paused) song in the main player interface, the listening position should be restored after a reboot. PA should always come back to the same song and playback-position that was present before the shutdown, just as if you simply turned the screen off and back on again. It what should always happen when exiting and restarting the player, and has been normal behaviour since the app first came out.

You said above that this was not working for you for any songs - i.e. after a reboot, any song will come back to 0:00 as if it was a new song, rather than a partly-played one (or in the case of longer tracks, it might restore to whatever old 'save-for-later' position might have been created in the past when switching back and forth between other long tracks).

Andre

Right. I am looking at my Android system settings.

I thought it might be helpful for me to upload my PA settings here. When I selected to Export settings, PA stated that the file would be saved here:

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/_com.maxmpz.audioplayer/last.Poweramp-settings

checking the folder, I get only as far as /storage/emulated, but the folder is empty. I have enabled 'show hidden files' on ES File Explorer Pro.

Just for curiosity, I then attempted to import settings. PA indicated that it had loaded the settings. It stated that it was going to restart, but I don't know if that actually happened.

Archived