Chromecast not reproducing audio/displaying album cover

Sotakles

Hi! I've recently updated the app to the v823 on Google Play, and I wanted to try the cast feature. The Poweramp interfaces loads up in the Chromecast, showing everything  except for the album cover, which is replaced by a big black square. The audio doesn't reproduce on Chromecast, and in the PA app I can see the seekbar advancing a couple seconds, just to immediately go back to the starting position.

I have tried a few different songs with the same results: No audio, no album cover being display.

Some other info that might be useful: The songs are in a custom playlist, the album cover image has a maximum dimension of 1200x1200, and a minimum of 225x225, chromecast output is set to default parameters,

PA version: v823 (Google Play)

Device: LG G6 (H870) Android Oreo 8.0.0

Chromecast Firmware version: 1.37.148642/1.32.144770 (I have two different chromecasts, the v2 and the original, respectively. Have tried both of them with the same results)

Poweramp was tested and tuned for Chromecast v2, 2017, 2018, ultra, Home, Hub, Max - all on the latest available firmwares, plus android tv chromecast app also tested.

Make sure you can cast via e.g youtube and you’re logged into Play app.

Album art ignored by PA chromecast code if device reports it has no screen, but in your case it looks like Chromecast can’t connect back to the Poweramp due to some firewall/antivirus/etc. which blocks incoming connection to the phone. (It’s not the phone sending music to chromecast, it’s chromecast connecting to the phone and requesting stream, so incoming connection is required. Same for album art).

I can cast from other apps such as Youtube from the same device with no problem, even when using VLC to recode a video from .mpg to .mp4 and cast it from the device.

I don't have any kind of antivirus/firewall installed on my phone, or at least none than i'm aware of. And I'm fully logged into the whole Google Suite, even with the Google Home app. Only thing I can think of is that the Google account that configured the chromecast was not mine, but of my brother, who doesn't use Poweramp. Not sure if related.

I have also noticed that the Google Home app starts thinking that i'm casting the audio, but the reproduction is "paused". I can open the details of the Chromecast device,  and see some multimedia controls (volume, play/pause, next song), and the Name of the song currently... In process of casting. I can "start" the song from the Google Home app, select a point with the seekbar (with no apparent effect on the Chromecast or the Poweramp app). But, if i pause the reproduction from Google Home, it does pause Poweramp (which is to be expected). Not sure if this helps.

I'd be happy to provide anymore needed information. The app is brilliant, and i'm more than committed to try to help where i can.

Thanks for the details. Yes it looks like connection from phone to chromecast is ok, but not the connection from chromecast to phone. I'm collecting the feedback and I hope this kind of issues will be sorted out with the next build(s).

Sure, can do!

I've uninstalled my previous v823 Google Play version, installed v824, and tried to cast with both the alternative handling on and off. Unfortunately, there was no audio output and no album art, even with the alternative handling on.

I've noticed that the seekbar does correctly move, stops when I press pause on the Poweramp app, and the 0 and end-time mark fades away when music is "playing". As far as i can play a song, anyway.

I have tried a .mp3 file located on my SD card, and a .ogg on the internal memory. No different results with that.

Edit: I forgot to mention. When the seekbar displayed on the Chromecast interface reaches its end, the Poweramp app does not automatically change to the next song. Don't know if that's useful, but  just in case.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bother you, but as I was googling around, I ended up here in this topic, because this problem still exists on my S10+. Would there be any progress towards a solution? Maybe I missed it, but the topic doesn't seam to "solved". Hope to hear from you! Got a very recent Chromecast by the way.

Archived