Bookmarks

GaryMO

Well thank you so much for your input 'New User'.

Storing at least the 'last-played' position for longer tracks (whether those be classic music, podcasts or audiobooks) is a pretty basic need as the current navigation tools are rather clumsy for anything beyond fairly short songs. Also the option to skip those sort of tracks from shuffle lists would be very useful too. But I agree that there's no need to make Poweramp a full audiobook player per se.

Nice to know you are happy in your world anyway though.

Kind Regards,

Andre

(very experienced user, and long-time beta-tester)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see where you're coming from, but I have to respectfully disagree with how you've applied the blog post you've cited to this request. I think that this feature is more the "power window" feature as opposed to the "truck bed" to which the post refers. If the request were for a full blown podcatching interface such as in BeyondPod, Doggcatcher, or Podtrapper, then I'd be inclined to agree with what you've said. However, adding bookmarking is hardly a "fundamental" change of the program.

As for the UI, I don't see how it is much different - a play/pause/skip button are pretty standard; the only minor difference that I can think of would be the possibility of a "short rewind" button. In fact, if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I've used my iPod Touch) this is the only difference between the podcast/audiobook UIs and the music UI on iOS's music player.

As Andre said, it's nice to know some users don't want this feature. But seeing as how this thread is marked "Hot" indicates there is at least mild interest in it, even if it's just a downloadable plugin or module to the program.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most adaptable to change." - Leon C. Megginson, paraphrasing Charles Darwin

• 3 months later...

This feature is useful for audio book players and not appropriate for music player like Poweramp, but I'll be looking into adding it as option.

Thanks!

I created an account just so I could bump this up.

Over a year later and nothing. It's kind-of disappointing that the Dev has decided that people shouldn't be using his app to listen to podcasts or audio books. No one wants to have to keep multiple audio programs on their phone instead of just using one that does everything they want. Not because it was a difficult feature to include, but because the Dev is simply opposed to the idea of his paying customers using non-music audio files in his player.

You know, there are music podcasts as well. People that listen to DJ mixes often have audio files that are over an hour or 2 long and would like to be able to get back to the spot that they left off at, even if they listened to other files since then. Or is the dev opposed to people listening to DJ mixes in his player as well. Maybe I should find a 3rd music program for my electronic music.

According to Wen's answer, it should be included on next major version :

But i +1 this topic too.

Audiobook support (with bookmark, chapters support) is a long waited feature from users over the forum.

It would be nice if Max do an official statement about it or add it to the planned TODO list.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooops - so disappointing to see my only remaining wish for Poweramp being ignored already for so long. I just moved from Windows Mobile (yes - so late) using Conduits PocketPlayer there and it took my also some time to get them conviced how useful such feature (playlist resume) was. Sad, sad, sad - such a great player , but this missing feature is a deal-breaker for me.

Luckily I just found "Just Playlist" - a very basic player, but THIS one does exactly what I need. Will stay with that until Poweramp catches up.

• 3 months later...

I found a very nice alternative which after only one day has proven itself. Smart AudioBook Player (30-day trial, $2 purchase) will remember where you left off. Also, I moved all non-music content (talk radio, audio books) outside the music folder which has made a lot of things simpler. In fact, I think it is a better way to go. Let Poweramp stick to what it does best.

Interesting. How well does that interact with bluetooth output and control when Poweramp is also installed? Poweramp normally runs for me when bluetooth connects, as in the car sometimes I'll want to listen to podcasts, sometimes music.

Personally I'm not really bothered about all the advanced audiobook stuff, and I otherwise love Poweramp a lot, I just need it to remember where I'd got to when dealing with long audio files (concerts, podcasts, audiobooks, radio shows, etc) and ideally also provide better navigation tools to allow you to move around within such long audio files more easily (skip fwd 30/back 10 buttons would be great for example). Finally an option to ignore these files when shuffling random music.

I'd love to know what Poweramp's eventual roadmap is for handling longer audio files (not just audiobooks/etc, as this applies to long music tracks too).

Andre

With my phone (Samsung GS3 running stock ICS) the last app to receive a headset press is the one that gets the next press. So if I stop Poweramp with my headset, and after a few minutes press start with my headset, Poweramp starts playing again. And both Smart AudioBook Player and Poweramp stay in the notifications, so switching between the two is a breeze.

I agree with you that certain features would be nice if you are listening to longer files with Poweramp (equalizer, navigation, play speed, bookmarks, etc). Ignoring when shuffling is the reason I moved the longer files outside the music folder. Smart AudioBook Player addresses all of this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Any update on this feautre?

Maybe Poweramp isn't an audio book player per sé, but it is a media player, and audiobooks count as media, as do podcasts as many people have said.

Being able to bookmark a track and do or listen to other stuff would be incredibly useful.

If not just audiobooks and other spoken word items that this would be useful for, any long tracks really need it too - such as concerts, radio shows, long music-mixes, background music loops., etc. I have dozens of tracks that are more than 30 minutes long which are very difficulty to quickly navigate back to my previous playback position. 

Andre

Archived