Don't have "resume on wired headset" on by default

Tao

I signed up to write because I am EXTREMELY pissed off at the designers behind Power Amp after having it installed for less than a minute.  You guys shouldn't have the player auto play music as soon as a headphone being plugged in is detected.  I plugged in my headphones (which weren't on my head thankfully) but still heard my music start playing as loud as if they were through actual speakers!  Not only was this feature on my default, but the volume was CRANKED a few steps from maximum.

Now the stock music player on my phone as well as Neutron are set to proper levels, so this is a power amp issue.  I am lucky my hearing is not damaged, but Power Amp is wide open to being liable for damage to equipment for such negligence.  It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize that the end user should be given the opportunity to get settings refined (such as volume control  BEFORE music is played), let alone have the volume set to ZERO off a fresh install.

Uninstalled BTW. This was the most ridiculous show of lack of though being put into a product I have seen in ages!

Thanks for your comments. Yes, auto-play on headphone insert is the default setting for user convenience, but you can of course turn it off (PA is one of the most configurable audio players on the market). You should probably leave your device's master volume set at a lower volume level before you start trying new audio players.

Hardly worth such a rant to be honest.

Andre

On 9/22/2016 at 1:24 AM, andrewilley said:

Thanks for your comments. Yes, auto-play on headphone insert is the default setting for user convenience, but you can of course turn it off (PA is one of the most configurable audio players on the market). You should probably leave your device's master volume set at a lower volume level before you start trying new audio players.

Hardly worth such a rant to be honest.

Andre

This 'convenience' setting is bound to cause obvious problems on first use.  How about letting the user decide for themselves what options to enable??  Most people when they use a product to start using it when they choose to by hitting the start or on button depending what it is.  This is the norm for pretty much every good out there, consumer or otherwise, and often is due to safety concerns.

And the master volume was at a reasonable level.  Like I said, both other music players I had were set to reasonable levels, and they both access the master volume.  It seems that power amp also has some sort of gain enabled to BLAST volume much louder than any other player I had at the same setting.  Like I said, this should be turned down and allow the use to turn it up on first use.

In my case, I decided to plug in the headphones to try and diagnose the issue of the player selecting the wrong DAC on my device.  I was faaaaaaar from ready to start listening to music.

And yes this rant is indeed warranted because this is lack of foresight on the developers part, and not user incompetence as you imply.

41 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

So far, in about 5 years or so of following these forums, you are the first person to find this an "obvious problem". If you don't like it, just turn it off.

Andre

Your argument is an anecdotal logical fallacy https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal

I didn't get a chance to turn the feature off, since I didn't even get to look through most of the settings.  I was in the middle of diagnosing an issue in the first steps I was taking on setup. Also I won't be putting this program on any device unless the developers clean up their act.   Best to just pass this on to the devs, and let them decide if they want to risk any further liability or not.

From the website you quoted: "You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence."

That actually sums up what you are saying completely - what you have posted is an isolated example, and it is your personal experience.

Anyway, I'm sure Max (the Poweramp dev) will have read your comments and it's up to him whether he feels making such a change based to the defaults based on a single user request, versus staying with the status quo which everyone else seems happy with, is a good idea. Especially when the option is already there to turn it off - which you have already done, and thus no longer have the problem you are discussing. My BluRay/CD player does the same thing for example, when I put a disc in it loads and starts playing automatically (and I can't change that behaviour).

Personally, I think defaults should be set up as per the most common preference, with the option to change things after installation. But as I said, it's not my call but is Max's decision.

Andre

The difference here is that your argument tries to apply personal experience to a statistical measure which is what that particular fallacy is about.  You try to quantify the population of those who may or not have had problems, to what you have heard.  My statement shows the likelihood of liability.  Liability is limited to individual occurrences: "Was this person wronged or not?" not "Are the majority of users wronged or not?"  If I had a cheaper pair of headphones, they would have been ruined, and Poweramp would be liable to replace them.

The question my statement addresses is:  "Is Poweramp open to liability?"  My "one off" experience indicates yes.

The question your statement addresses: "Am I the only one who has experienced this problem?".  Your statement falls far short of answering that one way or the other in any accurate way.  That is why it is a logical fallacy to put it forward as evidence.

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. And I'm entitled to disagree with it, but I have better things to do with my time than argue about it any further.

You've been given your answer anyway (Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Untick 'Resume on Wired Headset') and there's nothing much more to be said unless Max feels he wants to implement your feature request. Thanks for your input.

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

posting this due to suggestion that everybody but the thread op feels this "convenience feature" should default on. i agree with op that it's a bad idea for the exact said reason. i hope it's not hard inconceivable to suggest that devs should minimize the possibility of causing hearing damage to the user via app's default settings.

Archived