File-based playlists

Mlopez

You can export the internal playlists out to files once you have created them in Poweramp if you wish, or use an external editor program, or just create a text file with the extension "M3U" which contains a list of all the music files that you want to include (with path details if they are located in different folders).

Andre

Have a look at New Playlist Manager. This app offers lots of functionality to mansge your playlist, including m3u exports. The latest release also offers share browsing eg nas or pc and creation of smb based playlists. Several export options are possible. Pity Poweramp is as yet unable to play smb playlists. There are threads on this on the forum. Hopefully this is a feature high on the list.

http://www.playlistmanager.webspace.virginmedia.com/npm/

• 8 months later...

this has been driving me crazy.  I have a file based playlist that I've been deleting entries from, duplicates mostly.  Every hour or so, I have to re-delete the same tracks from the same playlist.  there's no "save" feature when you edit a playlist to confirm the modified list is posted.  the only thing I can think of is that the modified list is cached and something is periodically refreshing the list from the file.  I took my freshly edit file and added its contents to a new playlist, then continued to edit the original file.  shortly thereafter an artist that I'd deleted completely from the original list began to to play. when I looked at the playlists my original playlist file had an eof of 365 and the new list I'd just made had an eof of 292. Something refreshed/reloaded the original file.  I have a screen capture, but I don't see any place to upload and attach an image.  So now the question:

When I delete a song from a file based playlist, how do I make sure the altered list is saved?

Poweramp does not re-save file-based playlists back to storage if you temporarily modify them within the app (I'd like that option too). This means that a rescan can bring back the original file-based version (usually only it the physical file gets modified, or if you do a Full Rescan, though).

The only way at present to achieve what you want to do is to edit the .M3U file directly in a text editor and re-save it, then Poweramp will pick up the changed version during the next rescan.

Andre

I doubtful that it'll work. I've tested several de-duplication features and they all get it wrong. Even Poweramp's is wrong. so I figure I'll write my own.  Other than my pride and head; what could it hurt?

Virtually everyone includes the path to the file in the de-duplication list.  That's a mistake.  It virtually guarantees duplicates.

Virtually everyone includes the path to the file in the de-duplication list.  That's a mistake.  It virtually guarantees duplicates.

Why does including the path guarantee duplicates? If you include the path AND filename then that can only point to one file, so if it's found twice within a playlist then it's definitely a duplicated entry. Without referencing the path you might be getting a false match to a different but similarly-titled file (which is more a case of removing duplicate FILES from the device rather than playlist entries).

Andre

/storage/extSdCard/Music/Barry Manilow/Barry Manilow/Mandy.mp3
/storage/extSdCard/Music/Barry Manilow/Ultimate Manilow/Mandy.mp3

these are duplicate songs in a playlist that won't be de-duped because the paths are included.  De-dupe is supposed to remove duplicate songs.  by including the path the likelihood of finding a match is reduced. remove the paths and they'll get de-duped every time. 

It would be even better if the track was id'd by shamwow or google sound and the id tag written back to the mp3 tag, then duplicates could be removed regardless of the path and/or file names.

Yes, what you are looking at there is a FILE that is (apparently, by name at least) duplicated within your overall file system. It is not so much a duplicated entry in the playlist though, as the two entries point to different files that just happen to have the same name. In your example, one "Mandy.mp3" might be an album version and the other a live track, or even a cover version by a different artist, which should not be treated as a simple duplicate. ID3 tag comparisons or hash-pattern matches would help, but even that would not be a perfect solution as (for example) one file might be at a different bitrate, or have an extra comment included, while the other does not (even if the music content is actually identical). I would be very reluctant to let any automatic system make that decision for me without allowing me to override its decisions.

I believe the playlist "remove dups" feature is there more to cover situations where you have built a big playlist file, but have accidentally added some of the same files to the list twice, so the same path/file entry exists a second time. Internal playlists prevent this from happening by the way, if you add a track and then (for example) try to add the whole album folder which includes that track, the existing track won't be added twice. (So if you actually wanted to do that, for example to start and finish a playlist with the same song, you'd need to use an external file-based list)

Andre

Andre,

Your are correct, but those two records are entries from a test/sample playlist.  The list is full of actual and apparent duplicates. But these two should be treated as a duplicates.  My goal is to have the absolute duplicates automatically removed from the playlist (this should probably be optional) and  potential duplicates displayed, so the user can select which to keep or remove. My list has multiple versions of the same song by different artists to test this. I'll probably have to learn one of these new fangled programming languages to do this though.  I also want to build smart-ish playlists.  I'm finding that ID3 tags are helpful but not entirely reliable.  My kids music files are scattered all over her device and many aren't tagged or are partially tagged.  I'm liking the hash fingerprinting more and more, but large scale it probably won't be entirely foolproof, but right now, I only need it to work for me.

Hash fingerprinting only works if the files are IDENTICAL copies (not just the same music, but byte-by-byte matching) in which case I'd suggest a better solution would be to remove the duplicated files from the device completely as they are just wasting space.

I have a lot of dups on my HD too, many without useful tags anyway, and it's really hard to verify if the music content really is identical.

Andre

Archived