Exclude folders with .nomedia files?

Bodestone

Hi. I recently installed Poweramp and it is playing all music, even from folders containing a .nomedia file.

I found this topic and associated links from back in 2012 that indicated it would be included.

I have not be able to find an option to exclude these folders however. I have a couple of thousand music folders with probably a hundred or so for exclusion so obviously manual selection would be a pain.

Any help pointing me at this option would be great, thanks.

settings -> folder and (play)list - Musicfolders.

(names could be wrong, my ui is german)

There you just check the folders in which your actual music is. After that you could press complete rescan (its the last opion in the same menu) or so.

No, this post is asking where the functionality to automatically exclude folders based on the .nomedia file. It was supposed to have been added back in 2012 but is not working out of the box.

I don't want to have to go through thousands of folders looking for the ones to exclude when they are already configured to be excuded using existing standard android functionality.

Poweramp uses its own folder tree editor, rather than relying on system functionality. Not sure why it would be any easier to copy a .nomedia file into every folder you want to ignore, compared to just unticking the folder names from a list?

I do have a .nomedia file in the root of my MusicFolders folder, to stop Android from scanning my music too, and I certainly don't want Poweramp ignoring that folder!

Andre

Well, I already have the folders configured that way. I can then move them in and our of devices at will, knowing that I can put them on but have them ignored but without having to go into the folder structure, find the folder and untick it after a re-scan.

It also means that it's a global switch across applications rather than having to disable in each one.

OK, so some may not want it but an option to ignore them would be good for those that do. I had hopes given it was on the list for inclusion back in 2012 but I guess I'll not be using powereamp then as I already use .nomedia as a generic flag across all other apps and to have to configure one separately from all the others would be a pain.

Looks like a great app otherwise. I just can't be doing with the faff of setting visibility up more than once.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been looking for thia feature and was surprised that the highly customizable Poweramp didn't have this option available.

When it comes to ease of use, it very much depends on each user and how they have their stuff working. Some applications automatically create a .nomedia file to exclude its contents from other applications because being visible in them does nothing but increase the clutter. Some applications create a hidden cache folder and it gets added in Poweramp.

The solution to limit the device's content to a few folders is not the perfect solution if it was good at all because if you use a couple of apps, you'll realize that it's hard to keep their folders the way you want especially when a lot of apps have a fixed predefined directory.

To make everyone satisfied, people are suggesting adding a feature to "optionally" select whether Poweramp should follow the system defaults or overriding them as it currently does.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Archived