Equalizer settings based on genre

mcastagnaa

What about implementing an option to have the equalizer to change to the relevant preset based on the genre assigned to the song? I mean everything you have a 'rock' let the equalizer to set on 'rock', 'classic' on 'classic' and so on.

It might get complex for genre where there isn't an equalizer setting (e.g. Alternative) but it's a matter of letting the user to make the default choice.

I think this is a good idea and one I don't think I've ever seen implemented anywhere yet.  The problem is that there is no real standard for id3 genres and often peoples libraries are littered with a hundred different types of genre tags that might mean the same thing - end result would be spotty unless the user really puts a lot of effort manually cleaning up their tags.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Some people would clean up their libraries, but many like myself have very large libraries and believe me I've been in the process of cleaning my library for months now. Also how to catagorize songs into genres in the first place is debatable and even if you were able to accurately catagorize each song into genres not every song in the same catagory is going to necessarily sound the way you like on the same equalizer setting. I definitly agree that an option along these lines would be extremly useful and I think a large majority of users would benefit from it. I know that I need to change my eq setting at least every few songs because the speaker on my phone is terrible and I have a wide variety of music. Slayer, Mozart, TechN9ne and Janis Joplin do not all sound good on the same setting. Also, a studio recording doesn't sound good on the same setting as a live one and not all live recordings are going to sound right on the same eq either. You can see how an option to automatically set the eq per genre would be very "hit and miss". I think it would frustrate users more than convenience them and would give a large portion of your library bad sound quality. I suggest maybe giving an option to set individual songs to play on a specific eq setting and then have a general setting for the  songs you don't have custom set. For example, if I'm listening to a live recording of Bad by U2 and I change my eq setting to Concert Hall (I don't remember if that is a Poweramp eq setting or if that was a custom one I created but you get the idea) perhaps an option could be clicked on to have that track always play on tgat setting. Then when the next track plays the setting would change back to flat or whatever you have set normally or according to the songs individual setting. It would be a large update and would be an extensive project for developers, but I think most Poweramp users would choose to use the option and would appreciate having it. Users would be able to quickly get more of what Poweramp is capable of more of the time and with a lot less effort.

• 4 months later...

This is a feature I would really like to have, I belive Itunes gives the functionality. The main reason for me wanting this is I have over 200gb of tunes on my phone in FLAC format, but even this fromat doesn't provide excellent sounding music on occasion due to production differences. I also have music ranging from rock, trance, reggae classical and funk. I like my tunes to have a good depth of bass, clear mids and highs, but a setting that does this for the rock music of say Rush, Van Halen or Iron Maiden is different to that needed for Paul Van Dyk for example. I like to have my music on shuffle and it's a pain messing with eq settings every time a song changes. I've been through my music library and re categorised all of my genres so that I have a manageable list of about fifteen categories. To be able to have the eq setting driven by genre would give me personally, as close to an ideal for all of my tunes automatically as possible. It must be an easy addition to make to the app as you already have this feature available for some things. I've loaded V3 of the app for it's HI RES capabilities and have noticed there are two less categories in this version. Why make an updated version of the app less agile than a previous version? The more I'm listening to my music the more I'm missing this feature and will have to seek it elsewhere if it can't be added to this app.

Archived