ReplayGain questions

I've moved my music from iTunes PC to my tablet. At that time I did not know much about normalizing in iTunes but processed all mp3 files using mp3gain in order to get a common sound level. Now I realized that iTunes normalization function, which I had enabled while all the files where only played on my PC , stores normalization data in a specific tag as well. So now I wonder, I guess I have TWO sets of normalization data in each file, and which takes precedence when I enable the ReplayGain feature.

I also noticed that AAC files, also previously managed in iTunes, plays a a whispering sound level with ReplayGain on, but with normal sound level if I turn ReplayGain off. Can that be an effect of the iTunes hidden gain values?

I've moved my music from iTunes PC to my tablet. At that time I did not know much about normalizing in iTunes but processed all mp3 files using mp3gain in order to get a common sound level. Now I realized that iTunes normalization function, which I had enabled while all the files where only played on my PC , stores normalization data in a specific tag as well. So now I wonder, I guess I have TWO sets of normalization data in each file, and which takes precedence when I enable the ReplayGain feature.

I also noticed that AAC files, also previously managed in iTunes, plays a a whispering sound level with ReplayGain on, but with normal sound level if I turn ReplayGain off. Can that be an effect of the iTunes hidden gain values?

Try using the same song, but without the iTunes modes and see if it makes a difference. It's hard to tell whether it's iTunes or not that's doing that, but different software threat content differently, so that's always an issue.

Tried the same song withot iTunes gain settings. Found that it is the setting with gain and peak limitation that faults the audio level. If I only apply gain I will get correct level. Will report this as a bug if not already done.

The limitation? you mean the limitation you put on when you turn on Tone? or different limitations.

I mean the replay gain option 'Apply gain/prevent clipping according to Peak', sorry for the terminology error. It seems as if this has been reported as a bug previously, so I added my comment to this issue in the Bugs forum

Archived