Full Rescan Bug

Go to solution Solved by w3wilkes,

Poweramp 981

Android 13

Moto G Stylus 5G (2022)

All music is on a MicroSD card in my phone

I deleted 1 track from my collection and then added a different version of that track to the album. I then did a full rescan of my music and now both the deleted version of the track and the new version of the track show up. When I place the album in the Queue and play it both the deleted and replacement tracks play. I did a view tags and the deleted song does show that it's "trashed". Here's screen shots of the view tags, Files view of the album and the view of the album tracks in Poweramp;

DeletedTrack.thumb.png.2cf3bfd22917fc55d661dc64bec8d432.pngReplacementTrack.thumb.png.6a783c1af3b8de420dfa1a523f8fad1e.png

Filesview.thumb.png.985fcc549073bc82716dae9a377c1ec0.pngPowerampView.thumb.png.98a4289e10dfb27fcb7730549b4bf06e.png

It's not a bug, what is happening is, Poweramp have permission to read your trash folder, so even though you think the file has been deleted, it is still in your phone, so what you should do is, deselect the trash folder from Poweramp list of folders and the problem will be solved. 

Bencherished. 

Your original file has not been deleted from the "Rides Again" folder, it has merely been renamed with ".trashed" at the start of the filename, which Poweramp can still read.

Either properly delete it, or move it to somewhere PA is not permitted to scan, or change the extender to something that is not audio related (e.g. ".mpz")

Andre

• Solution

Any way I look at this it is a bug. The only way to see the deleted file from the Files app is to look in the Trash Folder which tells me it was "properly deleted", I used the Files app to delete it. Note in this screen shot of the Trash folder it states the track has 18 days left and as shown in the OP the file does not show in the Rides Again folder viewed by the Files app.

Trash.thumb.png.0efc8e0e367d134a08e564c7e5b6fbb3.png

What will happen in 19 days when I select to play this deleted track that PA will still show in its catalog as existing? (I would guess that a full rescan would square that away, but I shouldn't have to remember to do that a month after I delete a file). I don't think any other apps will go ahead and lead you to believe a deleted file still exists. The only way for other apps to see a file that has been deleted is if you go to the effort to restore it from the Trash before it expires. In this regard it looks like Poweramp is the only app I know of that treats a deleted file as still existing.

And as far as scanned folders go, I do not have the Trash folder as a folder to scan. Here's my defined folder list;

ScanFolder.thumb.png.fcf86d1a57830c0b7f2a98458b76645e.png

If it was flagged for deletion, that is a matter for your file manager app. Did you delete the file using it or Poweramp? Or did you select "move to trash" in file manager dialog?

Because as far as Poweramp is concerned, it is still a file that exists in the selected music library.

Edited by Fitzian

This is what occurs when I select "move to trash" :

Screenshot_20240619-004706.thumb.png.c28ee17c5ce67b077be9694190b97550.png

File remains in the same folder, it is merely flagged for deletion in thirty days' time.

Screenshot_20240619-005304.thumb.png.c9df10f6e384bcfa1e2b3d0467a6cebf.png

As opposed to:

Screenshot_20240619-004931.thumb.png.8149d7a6c996af0350cb2bd0103c4f36.png

Which is clearly a permanent deletion which leaves no remnant.

Screenshot_20240619-005435.thumb.png.f927e3bbe1ef06185bc9e98103909fa9.png

@w3wilkes The file in question has not been deleted, nor has it been moved to a new location (such as a temporary recycle folder - e.g. "/.$Trash$/" - elsewhere on your device, which is what some recycle systems do). It has merely been renamed with ".trashed" at the start of the filename, which hides it from normal file explorer viewing. You will still be able to see it if you enable 'Hidden Files' in any decent file explorer app.

Poweramp is clearly scanning for all files in the Music Folders locations, hidden or otherwise, as long as they have one of its defined audio extenders (".mp3", ".flac", etc). I'm guessing this is to avoid missing content when someone has named some of their music files to start with a dot - which is considered a perfectly valid filename on Windows filesystems, even though Unix/Linux considers such files as valid but 'hidden' from view. 

Andre