Year tag issues

Hi. I have a bug report. 1997 song is categorized in year 2000 library section. It's not an isolated incident. And I have my tags done thoroughly.

I'm looking forward to new build! 🙂

Screenshot_20240415-145450.png

Screenshot_20240415-145508.png

4 hours ago, andrewz said:

Hi. I have a bug report. 1997 song is categorized in year 2000 library section. It's not an isolated incident. And I have my tags done thoroughly.

This song is listed under an album where the header clearly shows the year as 2020. What tags are you using to show these separately? A single album cannot have different release dates.

20 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

This song is listed under an album where the header clearly shows the year as 2020. What tags are you using to show these separately? A single album cannot have different release dates.

This is a non-album track. It is placed in V.A. folder with dozens of other tracks from different artists and years. Album tags are empty in these files. Album Artist tags are filled with "No Album Artist[s]". Could this be the cause?

I decided to share another, free track, in its original folder structure (Music.zip), with the same problem, so everybody can check all MP3 tags and file specs on his side.

I see no reason to categorize this track to year "2020" in Poweramp. It has to be a bug or flawed feature of the app.

Screenshot_20240418-132432.png

Screenshot_20240418-132445.png

Screenshot_20240418-132452.png

Music.zip

> And I have my tags done thoroughly.

Well I'd say that's certainly up for debate!

No track number#, album name, or album artist, in a folder view nested in '2020' year category, that is an unknown album, containing one song (but also dozens), by 50 cent..

I don't think thorough means what you think it means.

Edited by Fitzian

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fitzian said:

> And I have my tags done thoroughly.

Well I'd say that's certainly up for debate!

No track number#, album name, or album artist, in a folder view nested in '2020' year category, that is an unknown album, containing one song (but also dozens), by 50 cent..

I don't think thorough means what you think it means.

I am afraid you dont understand the situation. There are cases when I like a single track on an album. That is when I dont keep an entire album on my storage. And since I do not want the single song to make impression in my library that I have an entire album, I leave tags related to album empty. Sure, most of these songs were released on an album and I can find out this information on Wikipedia or Discogs, but I do not want my library to take this information in account.

Do you suggest to change tagging of such songs? How specifically?

Edited by andrewz

1 hour ago, andrewz said:

Do you suggest to change tagging of such songs? How specifically?

Why not  use the song title then for the album name in your tag? Effectively, an album comprising 1 track with the song title as the album name, along with all the other tags filed in accordingly; Artist, Album Artist, Year, etc.

18 minutes ago, cees said:

Why not  use the song title then for the album name in your tag? Effectively, an album comprising 1 track with the song title as the album name, along with all the other tags filed in accordingly; Artist, Album Artist, Year, etc.

That would blow the list of albums (in Poweramp and other library-based players) out of proportions.

[I've moved this discussion out from the Build 981 Release thread, as it has nothing to do with issues with that particular build]

From the 'Year' Category you drilled down into '2020', which would show you any albums that are notionally treated as being from 2020. Remember that in cases where songs from one album which have different Year tags (e.g. Collections or Best-Of albums) Poweramp has to make a best assumption as to which year it should choose to refer to the whole album.

When you then drill down to view a single Album - in this case, due to the limited tagging, you selected 'Unknown Album' - you would see all of the songs in that album, regardless of the various Genre, Year, Artist, etc tags. The Album level view would no longer be filtered to show 2020 songs only, it would show the whole album.

If you want to only see songs which have a specific tag of 2020, once you have opened the Year in question ignore the album titles and tap on 'All Year Songs' at the top instead. Every song in the resulting list should be from 2020.

Personally, I have almost no songs with blank Album or Album Artist tags by the way. I give them a fake name for sorting purposes, to avoid ending up with albums in the list with just one song inside. I have several generic album names I use - such as "(Singles)" for most rock/pop stuff, "(Film Music)", "(TV Themes)", "(Musicals)", etc. I enclose the names in brackets by the way, so they get sorted at the start of Album lists rather than being stuck somewhere randomly in the middle of a long list of album names.  

Andre

On 4/18/2024 at 10:16 AM, andrewz said:

There are cases when I like a single track on an album. That is when I dont keep an entire album on my storage. And since I do not want the single song to make impression in my library that I have an entire album, I leave tags related to album empty.

So then your tags are not complete.