Need a current position button on song list page

While playing from a large list of songs it is difficult to find and scroll back to the song that's currently playing. Request a small button on touching which the UI will show the song that's currently playing on the list from anywhere of the list.

You can do that by dragging down the album art from the player screen or just tap on it. You can also get to the list from your phone notification and Poweramp widget by tapping on it. 

Bencherished. 

The solutions advised here is a roundabout process and not a user friendly solution. I have pointed out a deficiency in the app which many similar apps don't have. I like Poweramp and think it is one of the better music players. If this small improvement, as I suggested, can be made then it will only make the app better. So, either the developers should take notice and do the needful or they may ignore my request. I am not interested in roundabout solutions.

Fair enough, request made.

You also need to bear in mind that any given list which you are viewing might not even have the currently playing song in it at all. If you have browsed away to a different album/folder/playlist/etc, then any such button would be meaningless. Poweramp already provides the mini-player at the bottom of the screen which shows you the currently playing song, and left/right swipes on it allow you to move to the previous/next track, so I can't quite see what you hope to gain from this new button idea? As has already been said, it's very quick and easy to tap on the cover artwork from the Player Screen to return to the currently playing category list, which will have the current song highlighted in the middle of the screen.

Which other apps don't have this "deficiency" by the way? I've looked at RocketPlayer, VLC, foobar2000, Samsung Music, YouTube Music, and can't find it in any of them - although one did have a 'return to top of list' floating button, which I can see being of use in very long lists (this is already supported in PA for alphabetically-sorted lists by the way, via ︽ on the quick-access bar on the right).

Some apps do have a 'Now Playing' style list, which is already very high in the Feature Requests voting list for Poweramp, is that perhaps more what you mean?

Andre

Please check the following music player apps which may help in understanding my request in a better way.

1. Eddict player, local music list.

I think I see what you're getting at. It navigates you within the on-screen list to where you can find the currently playing song. So For example if you were viewing an Artists or Albums list, it would move the view to highlight the Artist name or Album name that contains the playing song.

Andre

14 hours ago, Pradip said:

The solutions advised here is a roundabout process and not a user friendly solution. I have pointed out a deficiency in the app which many similar apps don't have.

5 hours ago, Pradip said:

Please check the following music player apps which may help in understanding my request in a better way.

1. Eddict player, local music list.

So one music player app has this ability. Not many.

But as @andrewilley has already mentioned, this won't be possible if you actually navigate away from the Now Playhing list and move to one that does not contain that song file.

10 hours ago, andrewilley said:

You also need to bear in mind that any given list which you are viewing might not even have the currently playing song in it at all. If you have browsed away to a different album/folder/playlist/etc, then any such button would be meaningless.

I like the idea, but not sure how this can be implemented with the current Poweramp platform while maintaining a consistent layout and functionality. Perhaps the single sole developer may have an idea!

18 hours ago, MotleyG said:

this won't be possible if you actually navigate away from the Now Playhing list and move to one that does not contain that song file.

The mentioned Eclipse Player (I'd never heard of it before either, but it does have a few thousand users) highlights the entry that contains a currently playing song, even within other list formats, which could be kinda helpful. So if you are listening to Mr. Blue Sky by ELO, then in the Artists list, the "Electric Light Orchestra" entry would be highlighted as currently in use. Similarly if you are viewing an Albums list, "Out of the Blue" would be highlighted as in-use. And if the list is alpha-sorted, the app provides a shortcut icon at the bottom of the quick-access column to go directly to the in-use item.

image.png

image.png

Not a very common feature at all, but I can see the merit - especially the idea of highlighting the in-use entry.

Andre

I observed a similar feature in FiiO's music app / default player as well.

Whatever category you are in (Years, Artists, Albums, or Songs) clicking a little target reticle that floats over the list snaps to the top level "folder" for the Year, Artist, Album (or the Song itself) that is being played from.

I think the mini-player would be a great place to locate such an icon in Poweramp. A little crosshair/target icon, similar to the icon used to re-centre your GPS location in Maps, placed next to the play/pause icon would be ideal. This would snap the current view to the item that contains the playing song - or to the song itself, if the song is already available somewhere in the current view.

There would need to be some logic applied to grey-out the icon in cases where the playing song is not found with the current Category's entries - for example if you are viewing a Playlist, or have drilled down into a Genre, or an Artist, in which the playing song does not appear.

Andre

@andrewilley Thanks for understanding what I am pointing at. Even without this Poweramp is an excellent music player. However, this feature is very handy in the app where I have seen and used it. I like Poweramp and use Poweramp as my default music player. I thought that this nice little feature, if added, will make further improvement to the Poweramp UI. So I requested it.

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow-up to this - and in the "there's always something new to learn" department - I just accidentally discovered that there is already a function to do pretty much what you asked.

If you long-press on the mini-player at the bottom of any library list view, you will be taken straight to the currently playing song.

Andre

18 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

As a follow-up to this - and in the "there's always something new to learn" department - I just accidentally discovered that there is already a function to do pretty much what you asked.

If you long-press on the mini-player at the bottom of any library list view, you will be taken straight to the currently playing song.

Andre

Neat! Snappy, too.

It does not (yet? 😉) snap to where the currently playing song resides in the category being viewed by user at that moment, just to what category it is being played from.

There are of course situations where currently playing song may not reside in the library category user is viewing at that moment, such as when limited by insufficient metadata tags, or when in playlists (song may not be in playlists at all, or may be in multiple playlists), among other situations (my imagination falls short).