Music not always available after adding my SD Card

heula

Any one any idea why my music is not always available after adding my sd card back in my phone?

It seems that it is hit or miss, one time the music plays fine after adding the usb adapter with sd card back in my phone and the next time nothing happens and does Poweramp skip all kinds of songs because they are not available.

Thanks.

513dgxte0uL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

@heula Probably either the USB card takes some time to mount into the file system, or it is creating a different root path to the one that was originally scanned into the Library (thus breaking the saved absolute filename entries as they now have new paths) which would require a rescan.

If it's the former, you could try disabling the Auto-Scan in PA Settings=>Library=>Scanner. If it's the latter, try enabling 'USB Disconnection/SD Card Mount' in the same menu. The 'Wait for Storage' option in PA Settings=>Audio=>Audio Focus probably won't help unless you have auto-resume enabled to start playing whenever you launch the app.

Andre

@heula when files are not available, player can't magically access them. And on current Androids we don't really know what's wrong, it's just no-such-file response from OS, while it can be:

- device not mounted or not mounted yet
- files were moved from previous location
- app permissions was taken/reset
- etc.

25 minutes ago, maxmp said:

@heula when files are not available, player can't magically access them. And on current Androids we don't really know what's wrong, it's just no-such-file response from OS, while it can be:

- device not mounted or not mounted yet
- files were moved from previous location
- app permissions was taken/reset
- etc.

Probably device not mounted yet is the most logic option but when I look in my files on my phone I see the device there with all files.

So why does Poweramp not see the device while they are visible within my files?

Is there a trick to let Poweramp see the added device when it does not see it right away?

Does it help to open Poweramp first and than add the device or does that make no difference?

And what about playing music from my NAS outside my local network, are the any options available to get that working with Poweramp?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

@heula Did you try the suggestions I mentioned in my earlier reply? The storage needs to be mounted and fully available before Poweramp tries to access it - and by turning off AutoScan, even if the folders are not yet available, that won't clear all the previously scanned content. Always assuming that Android hasn't decided to rename the root name of the Memory Card of course (perhaps thinking it's a new card?) in which case none of the existing saved paths will work.

Andre

@heula sending Log from within Poweramp -> Settings -> Support may help with investigating what is wrong, but root cause is the same - no files are available to Poweramp.

Spoiler

Poweramp builds internal database with file paths. If something is changed in the path, file won't be found and can't be played. Usually the paths are stable and do not change (automatically) at all, this is why this approach is used. 

There should be no issue with just adding sd card to Poweramp or via USB-OTG Flash stick, once it's added to Music Folders. But if it's different stick/card, it won't be recognized by default on recent Androids as it gets different path. Story is very different between old Androids (prior 8), and new Androids as Google changed file access rules multiple times, each next iteration written by fresher interns.

As for any folders and storages, on recent Androids nothing will be scanned and added automatically to Poweramp, adding those folders via Settings / Library -> Music Folders (or lists header menu -> Select Folders) is required and if it's a new/different sd card, stick (or reformatted), it requires that kind of selection. File Managers have no problem immediately showing that as they have appropriate permission, which is not available to music players on Play, though it's available for the Poweramp website (-uni-) build - Settings -> Library -> File Access Legacy Mode option.