ISSUE -Poweramp EQ cutting out

Hi

Having an issue with power amp EQ lately. I'm running it on a Hiby R6 Gen 3 Dap streaming Apple Music.  I'm using PEQ settings which work when I first start steaming music but after an arbitrary amount of songs being played the PEQ will stop working and I will have to close both apps and restart to get it to work again.  I read that the batter setting has an affect on the EQ performance but I've changed the settings to have the battery in unrestricted performance but the issue still happens.  The only thing I've noticed is that it seems like when a song is streaming in lossless format and changes to another song that's streaming in Hi-Res Lossless it disengages- not sure if that's the problem but something I noticed.  Could there be a setting I'm missing?

Many thanks

On 10/16/2023 at 8:52 AM, maxmp said:

@Ronin22 it’s killed by some sort of background task killer/ battery optimizer. Add Poweramp Equalizer to the exceptions list.

Hi - if you mean unrestricted battery I did that and if you mean unrestricted data usage I did that as well and it still stops working arbitrarily.  Again it seems like when I go from a Hi Res stream to a regular lossless.  I do not see an exceptions list. 

1 hour ago, Ronin22 said:

Hi - if you mean unrestricted battery I did that and if you mean unrestricted data usage I did that as well and it still stops working arbitrarily.  Again it seems like when I go from a Hi Res stream to a regular lossless.  I do not see an exceptions list. 

I'd be curious to know if it's a sample rate change that does this. This would require you to find songs in the wild with these bit-depth/SR combinations, such as going from 24-44.1 to 16-44.1, 24-48 to 16-48, or 24-96 to 16-44.1, just to see. I think Poweramp EQ works at constant sample rate?

On 10/22/2023 at 7:02 PM, andrewilley said:

As far as I know, the Poweramp Equalizer app does not handle special high-res playback from other apps, only regular Android audio streams. 

Andre

Well then I guess that sounds like the issue.  I was under the impression the app bypassed Android system restrictions but maybe that was just wavelette EQ since it seems to work on all the sample rates and bit depths I sent through it. Is there a plan to implement this ability? What is a regular Android stream?

The PA EQ works by telling Android to apply specific adjustments parameter to the audio which it is currently playing - always assuming the app which is the source of the medid playback has given permission for such post-processing (the DUMP permission is able to override that process though, allowing the audio path to be processed from more apps). However the audio does need to be going via Androids' regular media playback route, and not something that is being sent more directly to the hardware which some music playing apps do.

But if it's working for a while and then stopping, it does sound more like a process is getting killed for optimisation reasons, or the media playing app is opening a new stream for each song and not all of its streams are compatible. 

I would avoid having multiple apps trying to do the same thing though - e.g. don't use the EQ settings in the PA Music Player and the also the PA EQ app at the same time, and certainly don't enable DVC in more than one app.

Andre

On 10/25/2023 at 4:11 AM, andrewilley said:

The PA EQ works by telling Android to apply specific adjustments parameter to the audio which it is currently playing - always assuming the app which is the source of the medid playback has given permission for such post-processing (the DUMP permission is able to override that process though, allowing the audio path to be processed from more apps). However the audio does need to be going via Androids' regular media playback route, and not something that is being sent more directly to the hardware which some music playing apps do.

But if it's working for a while and then stopping, it does sound more like a process is getting killed for optimisation reasons, or the media playing app is opening a new stream for each song and not all of its streams are compatible. 

I would avoid having multiple apps trying to do the same thing though - e.g. don't use the EQ settings in the PA Music Player and the also the PA EQ app at the same time, and certainly don't enable DVC in more than one app.

Andre

Hi- I'm not using multiple apps, I'm just using the Apple Music app and PA EQ at the same time and no other apps running.  I'm just curious as to why an app like wavelet EQ works and stays engaged when the stream changes sample rate but PA EQ can't aren't they both subject to the same system requirements ?