shuffle folders within single folder

Mmmm

I know there are numerous threads on this but I cannot get it to work.

I have my list mode as heirarchy and I can see all of my folders.

I long click on the one that I want to shuffle within, and press play (or shuffle)

I change shuffle mode to lists, and repeat mode to advance

it then shuffles ALL of the folders that are in the library...

I have tried various repeat modes but none seem to do what I want...

Is there a way to do this?

To shuffle just selected list (in Poweramp list=Folder/Album/Artist/Playlist/Queue etc), please keep pressing Shuffle button until Shuffle Songs.

Poweramp has few shuffle modes, which can be cycled by press on shuffle button or can be directly selected via long press on shuffle:

- Shuffle All (all songs in your collection)

- Shuffle Songs (songs in just the current selected list), Poweramp will play lists in order (for Advance List repeat mode)

- Shuffle Lists (Poweramp will play songs in lists in order, but will shuffle lists order)

- Shuffle Songs/List (Poweramp will shuffle songs in each list, and it will also will shuffle lists)

To shuffle just selected list (in Poweramp list=Folder/Album/Artist/Playlist/Queue etc), please keep pressing Shuffle button until Shuffle Songs.

Poweramp has few shuffle modes, which can be cycled by press on shuffle button or can be directly selected via long press on shuffle:

- Shuffle All (all songs in your collection)

- Shuffle Songs (songs in just the current selected list), Poweramp will play lists in order (for Advance List repeat mode)

- Shuffle Lists (Poweramp will play songs in lists in order, but will shuffle lists order)

- Shuffle Songs/List (Poweramp will shuffle songs in each list, and it will also will shuffle lists)

Ah... But I want to shuffle folders...

Is it possible to select a folder and have it shuffle only the folders that reside within it? So I really want to choose shuffle lists but only include the lists (or folders in this case) that I have clicked on.

I suspect not as it seems that the 'lists' are defined as ALL folders in the library no matter which folder you select..

Is this correct?

Is it possible to select a folder and have it shuffle only the folders that reside within it? So I really want to choose shuffle lists but only include the lists (or folders in this case) that I have clicked on.

Yes, long press folder => Shuffle. If you want to shuffle it with subfolders, use Hierarchy folders view (while in folders list => menu => List Opts => View As Hierarchy). In this mode, Poweramp shuffles folder with subfolders, when folder is long pressed => Shuffle selected in popup menu.

Thanks!

Yes, long press folder => Shuffle. If you want to shuffle it with subfolders, use Hierarchy folders view (while in folders list => menu => List Opts => View As Hierarchy). In this mode, Poweramp shuffles folder with subfolders, when folder is long pressed => Shuffle selected in popup menu.

Thanks!

This doesn't do what I want...I think you must misunderstand me

say this is my directory structure

a / b

a / c

a / d

1 / 2

1 / 3

So in a I have b and c and d

in 1 i have 2 and 3

If I long press on 'a' and choose 'shuffle', then it will shuffle all the songs contained in b, c and d..ok

But I want it to shuffle them as folders, ie I want it to play songs in a/b first then a/d, then a/c (or maybe those folders in a different order). I don't want the actual songs shuffled, just the folders.

Now 'shuffle lists' does just this with the whole library, but I want to limit it to the alphabetic folders only. if i long press on 'a' and choose 'shuffle' and then change it to 'shuffle lists' it will play songs from the numerical directories too.. eg. it might play a/b first then 1/2, then a/c...etc

So to sum up, I want to shuffle only the alphabetic folders as lists (not songs)

Unfortunately, in trying to be clearer, I have rambled on and on (as is often the case)... I hope that you can see through all the clutter there and get my meaning.

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered that when you long click on a folder and choose shuffle, Poweramp creates a special list which consists of the tracks within that folder. It then sets itself to shuffle songs and lists This means it plays (in a random order) all the tracks from this initial list (tracks within the clicked on folder) and then choses a new list at random (another folder outside the clicked folder) and shuffles the tracks within that.

Any press of the shuffle button seems to discard this special list.

Because it works this way, what I want would be a fairly large departure from current workings.

There is no way to select the folders within the selected folder and then shuffle them -

If you defined each folder within as a list and then shuffled lists you would include all the lists outside the selected folder.

If you take all the contained tracks as a list (as it now does) and shuffled lists it would play all the tracks within the selected folder in order including playing the folders in order - unshuffled - before going on and choosing a random list from outside the selected folder.

My request would need it to somehow discard knowledge of all lists (folders) outside of the selected folder, temporarily using the selected folder as its sole source for the library. Then you would be able to shuffle the lists within the list (ie folders within the folder).

So now I understand how it works a bit more, I can rephrase my request as to have the ability to Shuffle lists within a selected list.

I get the feeling that providing this feature would be a tricky task indeed.....Shame.. :(

• 2 weeks later...

My workaround:

I've rooted my phone and installed busybox and terminal emulator.

Written a bash script to generate a playlist of tracks in random folders order within a single selected folder - the output of which is stored in a library location of Poweramp.

Written another (very simple) bash script called 'playlist' which runs my original script as many times as I want for as many different folders as I want (2 in my case).

now all I have to do is run terminal, type 'playlist', look in Poweramp, et voila...

I have two playlists Classical.m3u and Non-Classical.m3u.

Playing one of these playlists gives me albums in a random order which are either only Classical albums or only Non-classical albums, but with the songs in the original album order .

If I want to reshuffle I go to terminal and type playlist and it is done....

A lot of work... but now it's done it is easy....

I'd prefer to be able to do this from within Poweramp though.... Oh well, it seems there is little interest in this, so I'll just have to use my scripts.....

Archived