Tags not displayed correctly

Fakex

Hi there,

I have a big music-collection on my phone (>50.000 Songs) and I'm using PA to play music in my car via Android Auto.

Since a few weeks I recognize, that some of the Title-Tags are not displayed correctly.

e.g.: Track "Shopping" by the Pet Shop Boys: In mp3Tag everything is okay Title-Tag: Shopping / Artist-Tag: Pet Shop Boys.

In PA the Title is displayed as "Pet Shop Boys - Shopping" with the Artist "Pet Shop Boys" additionaly.

This is happening not with every track, I can't figure out if it is just in samplers (the album with the title mentioned isn't a sampler) - so I can't see a certain source of error.

Someone got a hint for me? Or do I just have to make a full scan of the library again (which I did several times because some covers and some tags were missing as well).

Thanx

Could you post a screenshot of the Info/Tags screen (via long-press on song title, or long-press on album art in the player screen) for the above-mentioned song. Include everything from Title downward. Also what is shown on the Player screen - or does this only affect the Android Audio display, which you specifically mentioned?

If it always happens with given specific files, could you share a temporary copy of one of those files from your phone?

Andre

This isn't an older file that you've edited is it? Just wondering in case a previously scanned Title tag is still in the database, even though the file may have since been edited to correct the title? If that is the case, a Full Rescan should fix it. Or maybe an old legacy ID3v1 code block still in the file?

If it was the Show Filename option though, you'd have seen the full filename (with the .mp3 extender) anyway.

Andre

Well, I did a full rescan and now everything seems to be fine.

Maybe it's because of the many tracks that some informations are not scanned correctly in the first run.

I will have a closer look at it - especially when I add new tracks. If I recap, the mentioned behaviour started after the last time I added more files. So maybe the normal scan doesn't work properliy with that ammount.

It's strange, Poweramp currently has no mechanism to generate that title format of "%artist% - %title%", although it is noted in the Frequently Requested Features List. The only possibility would be for PA to display the full filename - which clearly is not the case here as there's no .mp3 extender. So at some point in the past, that filename has been detected as containing the quoted wording, and simple Rescans have not caught the fact that the content has changed. Hence my suggestion of trying a Full Rescan which forces a re-read of every file's tags, and which seems to have worked for you. I'm still at a loss as to where the original content came from though if you've never changed or resynced the file.

Andre

Maybe PA interpreted "%artist% - %title%" as "%title%" in the scan. But this also doesn't explain the dash between the two tags.

If it happens again I will share the file. At the moment everything seems fine.

So maybe PA has some Beta-Features nobody knows about 😉

1 hour ago, Fakex said:

Maybe PA interpreted "%artist% - %title%" as "%title%" in the scan. But this also doesn't explain the dash between the two tags.

Only if that was provided in the format within an embedded Title tag. PA has no mechanism for concatenating Title and Artist string within its database. I doubt sending the file would help much, as clearly it's OK now.

Andre

@andrewilley Poweramp parses file name (as title - artist) if tags are not available. This can be Poweramp killed during the scan and never being able to scan tags, or any file system issue which prevented it from reaching the file for the scan (for example, that Samsung issue with file access when files can be found, but can’t be read). Subsequent manual rescan should fix this. 

But in the OP case, file name is used as title without further parsing, so no idea.

@maxmp But in this case (as per the above screenshots anyway) the Artist and Album tags do appear to have been read correctly. The full filename was "03 - Pet Shop Boys - Shopping.mp3" - so "%track% - %artist% - %title%" - but usually in cases where the detailed tag scan phase has failed, the whole filename with extender seems to be used rather than just Artist - Title. As Toyah said, it's a mystery!

Andre