Long-press on album artwork should give me the option to go to Album Artist

Jad Bean

Hello, I love the app and there's just one feature that would make it answer all my needs. I would like for the long-press on album art to give me the option to go to Album Artist.

The majority of my albums have a handful of tracks with a guest artist, so the artist on those tracks gets lableled as "Taylor Swift and Bon Iver" for example. If I navigate by Artist (not Album Artist) and then go to that album, I only get the tracks from that album where artist matches "Taylor Swift", not "Taylor Swift and XYZ", and therefore I don't see the complete album. So, the ability to navigate by Album Artist is essential to me, and in fact it's the feature that first drew me to PA.

It would be even better if this menu would be configurable, and I could just show the 'jump-to' options that I want. For example, I have no need for navigating by folders.

Thank you!

Screenshot_20230126_095304_Poweramp.jpg

1 hour ago, Jad Bean said:

Hello, I love the app and there's just one feature that would make it answer all my needs. I would like for the long-press on album art to give me the option to go to Album Artist.

The majority of my albums have a handful of tracks with a guest artist, so the artist on those tracks gets lableled as "Taylor Swift and Bon Iver" for example. If I navigate by Artist (not Album Artist) and then go to that album, I only get the tracks from that album where artist matches "Taylor Swift", not "Taylor Swift and XYZ", and therefore I don't see the complete album. So, the ability to navigate by Album Artist is essential to me, and in fact it's the feature that first drew me to PA.

It would be even better if this menu would be configurable, and I could just show the 'jump-to' options that I want. For example, I have no need for navigating by folders.

I've noticed this in the past and agree this would be a nice option to add to the long press here.

As a slight tangent to this, something else that might help you in the meantime would be to use the relatively new 'multiple Artist' feature. This allows you to define a series of symbols (or even whole words) which allow PA to determine multiple artist names for the same song. So in your example, using Artist Splitting, that track would appear in the song lists for both "Taylor Swift" and separately for the band "XYZ", rather than just as a one-off entry for "Taylor Swift and XYZ". The Artist button in the menu would then take you to the first (which is presumably the most significant) name, Taylor Swift.

It might take some thinking about of course, and tidying up of tags, as although using the word "and" as a splitter would work well in this particular case, it would also have some undesired side-effects for any bands that genuinely use the word "and" within their name - for example "Earth, Wind and Fire" would become two artists, "Earth, Wind" and a separate artist "Fire". But a bit of judicious editing (I use semicolon to separate multiple artist names for example, which seems pretty safe) could make your music library a lot more accessible.

Andre

4 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

As a slight tangent to this, something else that might help you in the meantime would be to use the relatively new 'multiple Artist' feature.

This is a great feature in PA. I really appreciate that it can separately browse for each Artist this way in the library.

But it doesn't help when searching by Artist to address this concern.

1 hour ago, Jad Bean said:

If I navigate by Artist (not Album Artist) and then go to that album, I only get the tracks from that album where artist matches "Taylor Swift", not "Taylor Swift and XYZ", and therefore I don't see the complete album.

Since PA already has a separate list in the database for the AlbumArtist field, hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult to be added some time in the future.

1 minute ago, MotleyG said:

Since PA already has a separate list in the database for the AlbumArtist field, hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult to be added some time in the future.

Agreed, I was just postulating a possible partial solution (very alliterative!) which could be used in the meantime. Of course, you may then end up going down the rabbit-hole of fiddling with the tags in an entire music library. As I did. ;) 

Andre