Wondering why Poweramp suddenly downsampling 24/96 tracks ?

Airsculpture

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Airsculpture said:

Suddenly started happening, no change in firmware, no change in Poweramp version. Happening on multiple FiiO M11s

something I’m doing wrong ? 

What is your output set to in Poweramp, scroll that Audio Info page to the bottom. Also, do you have any external DSPs turned on that may be forcing the output stage into 44.1kHz?

8 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

What is your output set to in Poweramp, scroll that Audio Info page to the bottom. Also, do you have any external DSPs turned on that may be forcing the output stage into 44.1kHz?

I have sample rate set as “Defined by device” if that’s any help, only other options MG are 44.1 and 48 ?!

I don’t have anything else running.

87D2DC5C-9C00-4EDD-92FE-CCAFE9C225E9.jpeg

Update :

I switched off DVC and the 24/96 files along with everything else that isn’t 24/96, is now displaying 96k, which is what it was doing prior to this issue.

Wish it would act like USB Audio Pro and the stock FiiO Music app and just output whatever the source file is but it never has unfortunately 

4 minutes ago, Airsculpture said:

Wish it would act like USB Audio Pro and the stock FiiO Music app and just output whatever the source file is but it never has unfortunately 

A "Follow Source" option has been long requested but doesn't yet exist in Poweramp.

Does your M11 not work with the Hi-Res Output selected? I have a different brand of DAP (iBasso DX160) and find it is a more stable solution for me (and DVC is disabled).

7 minutes ago, Airsculpture said:

Update :

I switched off DVC and the 24/96 files along with everything else that isn’t 24/96, is now displaying 96k, which is what it was doing prior to this issue.

This gets requested often. See the frequently requested features index for threads detailing reasons why it hasn't appeared in Poweramp yet.

You should be using the direct or hi res (experimental) output, btw. Not opensl es.

7 minutes ago, Fitzian said:

This gets requested often. See the frequently requested features index for threads detailing reasons why it hasn't appeared in Poweramp yet.

You should be using the direct or hi res (experimental) output, btw. Not opensl es.

Doesn’t seem to an option for that on the FiiO M11

I think on the M11 that’s only available for USB output.

Edited by Airsculpture

10 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

A "Follow Source" option has been long requested but doesn't yet exist in Poweramp.

Does your M11 not work with the Hi-Res Output selected? I have a different brand of DAP (iBasso DX160) and find it is a more stable solution for me (and DVC is disabled).

Not sure what you mean in your second paragraph MG ?

Love the iBasso DAPs by the way.

Edited by Airsculpture

2 minutes ago, Airsculpture said:

Not sure what you mean in your second paragraph MG ?

Go to Settings>Audio>Output>Hi-Res Output and enable that for all three options you see (Wired Headset, Bluetooth, and USB DAC). You can tap into these, especially for the Wired Headset option. Make sure you set the sample rate to defined by device and sample format to Auto, this will let Poweramp use the highest scale that is available on your device.

At least until there is an option to follow the source frequency, this will ensure Poweramp is using the highest output to match the DACs in your device.

2 minutes ago, MotleyG said:

Go to Settings>Audio>Output>Hi-Res Output and enable that for all three options you see (Wired Headset, Bluetooth, and USB DAC). You can tap into these, especially for the Wired Headset option. Make sure you set the sample rate to defined by device and sample format to Auto, this will let Poweramp use the highest scale that is available on your device.

At least until there is an option to follow the source frequency, this will ensure Poweramp is using the highest output to match the DACs in your device.

Nope. Like I say on the M11, the only option there is USB DAC unlike the alternative place where about 5 different outputs are listed.

Side note. I thought I’d test switching DVC back on and it’s still outputting 96k so who knows what the reason is, clearly wasn’t switching DVC off that solved it.

Very confusing 🤓😂

10 minutes ago, Airsculpture said:

Nope. Like I say on the M11, the only option there is USB DAC unlike the alternative place where about 5 different outputs are listed.

The M11 has been around for a few years, and is supported for Hi-Res. Other users here have the same device. You should be able to access this setting.

17 minutes ago, Fitzian said:

Reset audio output to defaults for every output option and see the behavior, then.

No change unfortunately on the M11. It's now locked on 48k with setting "Defined by Device". Thanks for trying Fitz.

It may be that i go back to the stock FiiO music app, at least that recognizes the source file format correctly without all this messing around. I love the speed of the UI in Poweramp but I'm spending way too much time messing with settings and not enjoying the FiiO M11.

Edited by Airsculpture

28 minutes ago, Fitzian said:

M11S is the newer dual-sabre DAC implementation. The fact that there exists an M11, M11 Ltd, M11 Pro, and M11S complicates things, as the first two are AKM based and the latter two are ESS based.

@AirsculptureWhat does the audio output detections log show you?

Audio Log

image0.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Airsculpture said:

No change unfortunately on the M11. Thanks for trying Fitz.

I have no idea why this wouldn't be available on your device. Like I said earlier, the M11 series has been around for some time, and other users can activate the Hi-Res mode. When I set this to Auto, I typically have 32/192kHz displayed on the DX160 as the output that Poweramp uses. Although I can manually go in and move that all the way up to 32/384kHz, I have left it for Poweramp to choose for now. There is a significant audio difference on the headphone output in Hi-Res mode versus the OpenSL or AudioTrack outputs (I am using KZ ZAX IEMs).

EDIT: Just saw your screen image of the audio log. I can see that you are using the latest 945 build of Poweramp. You'll need to get confirmation from another M11 user, or even perhaps @maxmp can comment - but it seems that there are several output flags missing that would enable you to get the headphone output and at a higher rate than 192kHz that the M11 should be able to handle. You are using your M11 with the Fiio installed OS, no custom ROMs or anything?

Edited by MotleyG

Update:

Installed Build 939 and rescanned library. Those options of Sample rate are ALL now present in the Hi Res Output section of audio settings. So I am assuming it has something to do with Build 945 in conjunction with the FiiO M11.

3 minutes ago, Airsculpture said:

Installed Build 939 and rescanned library. Those options of Sample rate are ALL now present in the Hi Res Output section of audio settings. So I am assuming it has something to do with Build 945 in conjunction with the FiiO M11.

That's great!

I wonder now if you update back to 945 if these will remain intact? Did you do your earlier 945 install from the Play Store, or from the download section here on the forum? Worth a try, and if it still doesn't work you can go back to 939 and know it will work for now.

I donwnloaded from the website. I actually don't think I will bother trying it with 945 again now that I have everything back - two 400GB SD cards scanned, playlists imported, several custom EQ settings added. I haven't noticed anything in 945 that I'm actively missing so I will this time play it safe and stay put.

Between the FiiO stock player, USB Audio Pro and Poweramp I think I'm covered (whilst I don't use USB Audio player much as the UI is pretty hideous)

Thank you very much for your time MG, I do appreciate it.

32 minutes ago, Airsculpture said:

I haven't noticed anything in 945 that I'm actively missing so I will this time play it safe and stay put.

True. Almost all relates to latest Android releases A11~13. There was some update to detection for Hi-Res, maybe there is something there that is still under development prior to the next full stable release.

Builds 941-945:

• Themed App Icon support for Android 13
  • improved hi-res support for Snapdragon based devices @ Android 11/12
    • Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 and few other recent SoCs are supported now
    • Hi-Res + DVC, or Hi-Res + No DVC combinations may not work for some firmwares
  • improved hi-res support for Pixel devices @ Android 12/13
    • Hi-Res output and AAudio improved
    • some Pixels (for example, 6) have limited hi-res support - only 96kHz or some other fixed sample rate may be supported
  • improved output sample rate/format bit width detection
    • on some devices sample rate/format is detected only when playback is active
    • on devices which do not support Hi-Res + DVC, this will be now properly detected and shown. Previously hi-res sample rate/format could be shown incorrectly
  • relaxed AAudio requirements on Pixels @ Android 11/12/13, added more sample formats
  • Audio Info popup shows more info about sample rate/bit width conversions
    • this depends on info reported by the system that may be incorrect for some firmwares/devices/etc.
    • depending on the firmware, system may force some fixed sample rate
  • Hi-Res Output format selection
    • depending on the device/firmware, some manually selected formats may result in standard definition, no sound at all, or output failure
  • OpenSL output supports Float32 format now
  • OpenSL Hi-Res output replaced to Hi-Res output for old Androids
  • Volume Levels option returned for Android 13
    At the moment Volume Levels supported within the app only
  • fixes/improvements for Android 13
    Note: while Legacy File Access still works on Android 13, it will be disabled in the next Poweramp builds

1 hour ago, Airsculpture said:

Very possible and with the M11 using an old amended OS it’s very probable 

Back when support for the X5iii (which runs Android 5.1.1) was first added to Poweramp, there was an issue where hi-res output only worked on the 3.5mm headphone output, while its 2.5mm balanced output and 3.5mm line output were stuck on 16/48. A fix was eventually implemented. Perhaps the same will happen here?

What outputs on your device do you have the necessary terminations to check how Poweramp sees them?

Edited by Fitzian