Wondering why Poweramp suddenly downsampling 24/96 tracks ?

Airsculpture

Max did say that the improved high-res detection code he implemented in builds 941+ should give more accurate results. Some devices which said they were using and outputting via high-res on 939 actually weren't - regardless of what the audio path info showed, Android was not sending out high-res data. So sadly in some cases using 'high-res' on 939 was in fact just a placebo effect, but the path reporting on 945 should be more reliable.

I'm not sure if that is the case here, we'd need some input from @maxmp on that.

Andre

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Max did say that the improved high-res detection code he implemented in builds 941+ should give more accurate results. Some devices which said they were using and outputting via high-res on 939 actually weren't - regardless of what the audio path info showed, Android was not sending out high-res data. So sadly in some cases using 'high-res' on 939 was in fact just a placebo effect, but the path reporting on 945 should be more reliable.

I'm not sure if that is the case here, we'd need some input from @maxmp on that.

Andre

The independent indicator on my FiiO M11 which is outside of Poweramp indicates correctly in 939 that PA is kicking out the correct hires static fixed output, but wasn’t in the latest version. So it seems to be back working as designed in the older version which is ok by me.

If it was definitely working in 939 (as evidenced by the output graphs) then all I can think of is the new detection code is not working properly due to FiiO's heavily modified version of Android. I think @maxmp has at least one FiiO device available for testing (it's clearly impossible to have samples of every device, and every ROM variant, from every manufacturer though) so we'll probably have to wait until he can track down what's different in their setup.

Andre

Yep, I realise that, having spent 30 years in software testing , we never tested every single possible combination either, and it was very large companies I was working for.

At least everything is fine on the previous build and I don’t think I’m missing much 👍