CROSSFADE needs to be redesigned!

Dave M

The Crossfade feature in Poweramp is implemented wrong. Even the word "crossfade" is not correct. It should actually be called "crossplay" 

When DJ's at radio stations crossfade between two songs, they don't actually artificially, or prematurely fade the outgoing song. As the outgoing song is ending, The next song is played before the previous song has ended (on songs without a hard ending).

If the outgoing song has a (hard ending)... Poweramp's crossfading process fades out the song's intentional hard ending prematurely. The same goes for the next song that has a "hard opening". 

An issue that would have to be addressed is that Poweramp would need to analyze a song that has a hard ending and not start to play the next song before the track with the hard ending has completed. (especially with two songs that have a hard ending, and a hard opening)

I wrote about this years ago on this forum. I had hoped there would have been changes by now.

Please consider working on this change to the way the crossfading process works.

• 1 month later...

Implementing the analysis of the song by Poweramp is actually unnecessarily overcomplicated and I reckon it would take a lot more time to implement. What I find the most annoying is the Fade-In effect of the next song, I could live with Fade-out of the old one, although even that could be removed.

In Foobar I use SqrSoft crossfader, and I simply set it to start crossfade at -20dB of the old song, and thats it. It works exceptionally well, be it abrupt ending song or naturally gradually fading-out song, if the songs are matching bpm sometimes it is even impossible to spot the song switch.

So the only thing that would be necessary to implement would be the option to remove artificial fade-out/fade-in, and add the option to select the old song dB threshold to start crossfade. Heck even just adding the option to not fade-in the new song would be fine with me, as it is hands down the most annoying thing in Poweramp for me, and frankly the only one. And that should be pretty easy to add I hope.

• 4 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 11:25 PM, Michal Pospíchal said:

Implementing the analysis of the song by Poweramp is actually unnecessarily overcomplicated and I reckon it would take a lot more time to implement. What I find the most annoying is the Fade-In effect of the next song, I could live with Fade-out of the old one, although even that could be removed.

In Foobar I use SqrSoft crossfader, and I simply set it to start crossfade at -20dB of the old song, and thats it. It works exceptionally well, be it abrupt ending song or naturally gradually fading-out song, if the songs are matching bpm sometimes it is even impossible to spot the song switch.

So the only thing that would be necessary to implement would be the option to remove artificial fade-out/fade-in, and add the option to select the old song dB threshold to start crossfade. Heck even just adding the option to not fade-in the new song would be fine with me, as it is hands down the most annoying thing in Poweramp for me, and frankly the only one. And that should be pretty easy to add I hope.

I think I first requested the "segue/radio" type crossfade a good 10 years ago when i first purchased Poweramp. In fact, so long ago that the post doesn't exist any more! 😏

An option to change "fade in" and "fade out" separately.

A natural fade out with the option to start the next song at full volume.

I too remember the sqrsoft add-on in Winamp and used it always.

This appears to be a popular and recurring request, so I'm surprised the tech team have never seemed to address it in at least 10 years?