shuffle genre

Brad Livesay

31 minutes ago, Brad Livesay said:

Hi, i'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but when i select my genre and hit shuffle, it does not truly shuffle. is there an option for enable this? this works fine when i select shuffle all songs.

What do you mean when you say "it does not truly shuffle?" If you have 100 songs in that genre, Poweramp will randomize that list and play them through all 100 tracks. Shuffle all songs does the same, except it uses all songs in the entire library.

Works fine for me, what results do you see?

What option do you have selected for Settings=>Library=>Shuffle=>Category Items Shuffle, as that will make a difference so to how albums are handled within a Genre. i.e. are the Albums shuffled but songs still played in their order, or both the Albums and also the Songs within them shuffled, or every song in the genre randomly shuffled with no regard to album contents (just as if you had viewed the All Genre Songs list first).

Andre

sorry for the confusion. i guess what i mean is that when i select the genre and then the random button it plays 1 track by a certain artist and then the next 2 or 3 tracks by the same artist. unlike selecting all songs then random, it plays 1 track by an artist then another track by a different artist and so on. i hope this makes more sense.

12 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Works fine for me, what results do you see?

What option do you have selected for Settings=>Library=>Shuffle=>Category Items Shuffle, as that will make a difference so to how albums are handled within a Genre. i.e. are the Albums shuffled but songs still played in their order, or both the Albums and also the Songs within them shuffled, or every song in the genre randomly shuffled with no regard to album contents (just as if you had viewed the All Genre Songs list first).

Andre

hi, i have shuffle songs/categories selected. the reason i chose to shuffle by genres is because i had to re-genre my music so i can play it in the car and not have little ears hear a song not meant for little ear :). so i put my explicit music in an explicit genre and everything else in a music genre.

9 minutes ago, Brad Livesay said:

hi, i have shuffle songs/categories selected. 

Then what you should find when you tap the Shuffle icon at the top of a particular genre listing is as follows: An album (aka category in this case) will be picked at random from the genre list and its songs will be played at random. Then a new album from the same genre will be selected at random and its songs will be shuffled, and so on. So yes, you will hear songs by the same artist until each album is done with.

If you want to hear completely random songs from within a whole genre (ignoring  albums completely) select the 'All Genre Songs' link first. Or if you always want to listen that way, change the 'Category Items Shuffle' mode to reflect your preference as Shuffle Songs.

Andre

10 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Then what you should find when you tap the Shuffle icon at the top of a particular genre listing is as follows: An album (aka category in this case) will be picked at random from the genre list and its songs will be played at random. Then a new album from the same genre will be selected at random and its songs will be shuffled, and so on. So yes, you will hear songs by the same artist until each album is done with.

If you want to hear completely random songs from within a whole genre (ignoring  albums completely) select the 'All Genre Songs' link first. Or if you always want to listen that way, change the 'Category Items Shuffle' mode to reflect your preference as Shuffle Songs.

Andre

i'll try that, thank you.

32 minutes ago, Brad Livesay said:

i saw in an earlier post that the way Poweramp shuffles genre is by full album

That's not what I said at all, I said that was one of the three options (and it was the one you to me you had selected).

There are three different options for Settings=>Library=>Shuffle=>Category Items Shuffle:

Shuffle Songs/Categories: An album will be picked at random from the genre list and all of that album's songs will be played at random. Then a new random album from the same genre will be selected and all of its songs will be shuffled, and so on until all albums are played. 
Shuffle Categories: Albums will still be chosen at random, but the songs within them will be played in normal order. Then a new random album will be selected and that be played first song to last song, etc.
Shuffle Songs: Songs will be picked from anywhere in the genre, from any album. This is the same as if you tapped on 'All Genre Songs' at the top of the Genre in order to see every song in one long list, and then shuffled them all. It just saves the extra tap each time if that's what you always want to happen - which in this case it sounds like you do.  

The Playlist method will work too of course, but once created it becomes a fixed list of songs - so if you add anything new to the Genre later, it won't appear in the playlist.

Andre