No more arrange music by date after adding SD card

Sam Darabi
Go to solution Solved by andrewilley,

2 hours ago, Sam Darabi said:

Hello there,

I have lost my arrangement by date since added SD card, I’ve tried any thing from reverse to others but my music archive arranged by old to new. Any help plz?

Were the files modified on the SD card? If you are using the modified dates this is possible when moving them.

If you are using the 'By Date Added to Library' sorting method - which is the default in the 'Recently Added' category - then if you are now using a new SD Card, every file on it will be considered a 'new' file (it has a new path which has not been seen before) so their date-added information will be effectively the same point that you first scanned the new card.

Depending on how you copied the files over to the new card, they may still have retained their filesystem 'last modified' time/date stamps. If so, you can use List Options to change the sort order to 'By Date Modified' instead, which will sort by the age of the files (or the last time it was edited at any rate).

Andre

Thanks for responding, SD card is totally empty and I didn’t insert it for Poweramp, my whole music archive still is in internal storage,.

Recently added and all songs folders are still ok with arrange as latest files only Album shows this weird arrangement from old to new and mixed old and new. If I add a new file (mp3), it shows as recent file in Album folder too or from now on but old archive didn’t arrange according to recent files before inserting SD.

edit: looks like I can’t remove SD folder in Poweramp? I don’t want Poweramp to read it, can I remove it somehow?

Edited by Sam Darabi

41 minutes ago, Sam Darabi said:

edit: looks like I can’t remove SD folder in Poweramp? I don’t want Poweramp to read it, can I remove it somehow?

Just untick it from the Music Folders list.

Albums don't really have dates (they don't have tags at all in fact) only the individual songs within them do. PA will try to guestimate a date for an album based on one of the songs within it, but which one can be a bit hit-or-miss as it depends on the order the files get found by the scanner I believe.

Andre

8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Just untick it from the Music Folders list.

Albums don't really have dates (they don't have tags at all in fact) only the individual songs within them do. PA will try to guestimate a date for an album based on one of the songs within it, but which one can be a bit hit-or-miss as it depends on the order the files get found by the scanner I believe.

Andre

Tnx, I guess you should fix this, I mean tag for albums, is it possible for you?

I just want my recent Album files be as my latest downloads/add to library.

• Solution
8 hours ago, Sam Darabi said:

Tnx, I guess you should fix this, I mean tag for albums, is it possible for you?

No, because albums simply don't exist as physical entities. They are merely a notional group of several separate audio files which contain the same metadata (tags) to say they are by a certain Artist or were published under a particular Album name.

The only physical things with actual time/date stamps that Poweramp can see are audio files, which may (or may not) be contained in folders or subfolders. And those files could have been created on the same date, or months apart, and be in any folder layout that the user chooses. PA knows the storage system's 'last-modified' date of each file, and also the date when each file was first scanned into its database. But that's it, everything else (albums, artists, composers, genres, etc) is down to interpreting the embedded tags of individual files. And the added date of an 'album' can only be guessed, by looking at one or more of its associated files.

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

No, because albums simply don't exist as physical entities. They are merely a notional group of several separate audio files which contain the same metadata (tags) to say they are by a certain Artist or were published under a particular Album name.

The only physical things with actual time/date stamps that Poweramp can see are audio files, which may (or may not) be contained in folders or subfolders. And those files could have been created on the same date, or months apart, and be in any folder layout that the user chooses. PA knows the storage system's 'last-modified' date of each file, and also the date when each file was first scanned into its database. But that's it, everything else (albums, artists, composers, genres, etc) is down to interpreting the embedded tags of individual files. And the added date of an 'album' can only be guessed, by looking at one or more of its associated files.

Note this is not just a Poweramp thing. In the digital world the concept of an "Album" is strictly a grouping of individual songs.

But also note that an "Album" can only truly have one release year, so this should not be an issue for PA to guess which date is correct. If you do prefer to change individual year fields for your library (some choose to do this for compilations, greatest hits type packages) it could give unexpected results in PA when browsing by year.