Rewind cmd not working in PA

When simulating a rewind media command (ie. Skip back 10 seconds) either from a remote device or a button on the phone, that cmd gets registered only once in PA. The second command doesn't work. There's a simple way to test this. 

1. Install this free app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=flar2.homebutton

2. Map any button to perform a Rewind cmd (here I chose Single press Volume up button Button mapper https://imgur.com/gallery/9Clqd6K

In most music players (Gonemad, Jetaudio, Musicolet, etc.) pressing that button multiple times in a row will continuously rewind. In PA, it'll rewind only once. 

Edited by Chrisubuntu

For Rewind/FastForward, PA normally expects a long-press event. For example, from the log in PA Settings > Headset/Bluetooth > Last Processed Commands, a press (ACTION_DOWN) event and a release (ACTION_UP) event:

==================
15:28:41.373 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_DOWN A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x84 playerState=1
==================
15:28:41.378 PlayerService BEGIN_FAST_FORWARD
from PSMediaButtonReceiver
==================
15:28:44.364 PSMediaButtonReceiver android.intent.action.MEDIA_BUTTON
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT ACTION_UP A2dpOn isAvrcp flags=0x4 playerState=1
==================
15:28:44.369 PlayerService END_FAST_FORWARD
from PSMediaButtonReceiver

PA should also respond to long-press on KEYCODE_MEDIA_REWIND and KEYCODE_MEDIA_FAST_FORWARD button events.

Possibly related, as you mention successive events, there is a known bug in the latest release of the 'Google' app (the voice command Assistant handler) which seems to somehow muddle the order of double-click events. Rolling that app back to factory-installed default version seems to resolve headset double/triple click issues. might be worth trying that in case this is what you are describing.

Andre

You're right. Long press seems to work but not consistently. 1st of all, I have to wait like 4 seconds to long press for a second rewind to register. But other times, I have to Long press 2 or 3 times for the cmd to register 😔. Also I don't see an option to customize the rewind time and default is 5 seconds. Having to wait 4 seconds then the app rewinding 5 seconds makes this unusable, especially when listening to audiobooks, where rewinding is very important.  Is there a technical reason PA can't behave like the other apps I mentioned earlier ? 

Edited by Chrisubuntu

There needs to be a short delay to detect the difference between and click and a hold, but button remapping software could be applying its own rules to that process too. Shouldn't be any more than half a second or so anyway. I used to use button remapping apps, but they all seem to interfere and have too many restrictions these days (without rooting anyway, which is what I did on all my previous devices).

Andre

• 5 months later...
On 7/1/2021 at 11:16 AM, andrewilley said:

There needs to be a short delay to detect the difference between and click and a hold, but button remapping software could be applying its own rules to that process too. Shouldn't be any more than half a second or so anyway. I used to use button remapping apps, but they all seem to interfere and have too many restrictions these days (without rooting anyway, which is what I did on all my previous devices).

Andre

Revisiting this thread. Do you know if dev did take a look at this issue. Seeing that he's just added a way to restore ratings and stats in recent release, this is only thing still bugging me about PA. I have a Samsung galaxy Note 9 and I've remapped single press of the Bixby button to "Rewind". So much convenient to rewind X amount second without turning on the phone. Doesn't need to be the Bixby button, even remapping Volume +/- works all the time on some players (but not all) like Gonemad, Jetaudio, Musicolet, Samsung music. 

Why not send KEYCODE_MEDIA_REWIND (or KEYCODE_MEDIA_FAST_FORWARD) events? I don't think there is any delay before they trigger, and they should reliably ffwd or rewind, with increasing speed the longer the button is held, when sent (ACTION_DOWN event to start, ACTION_UP to stop).

Or do you want a 'tap-to-skip' button feature, to immediately move +/- 10s ? Not sure if KEYCODE_MEDIA_SKIP_FORWARD (272) and KEYCODE_MEDIA_SKIP_BACKWARD (273) events are supported by PA, but maybe @maxmp could add a little bit of code to watch for those and trigger the skip +/-10s feature?

Andre