Download & Storage

Amy81

On 6/15/2021 at 3:31 AM, andrewilley said:

Poweramp doesn't download or store any music at all, it merely plays any audio files from your device that you tell it to. You can define what folders are accessible to it using PA Settings > Library > Music Folders. 

Andre

U do understand my question. I think I'm asking when I download music does it download straight thru the power amp or does it take room up on my phone

It doesn't store music to the power amp. Why not? Is there a way to make it possible to do so? It probably save a lot of hassle cause it seems like I lose one or two of my songs. Would it be easier to download the music they the amp instead of phone . Just wondering

1 hour ago, Amy81 said:

It doesn't store music to the power amp. Why not? Is there a way to make it possible to do so? It probably save a lot of hassle cause it seems like I lose one or two of my songs. Would it be easier to download the music they the amp instead of phone . Just wondering

@Amy81 You do realize that even if you were able to download music thru Poweramp, it would take up the same amount of file space in your storage, right? Poweramp is a player, not a streaming app or online music service. There are plenty of others that can dp these things, Poweramp plays your local library from media you already own. It allows you to browse these files in a more meaningful way than a standard folder/file method, and uses its’ own audio engine for premium playback based on the best ability of your phone’s hardware.

But to answer your question simply, “No” Poweramp cannot download music.

2 hours ago, Amy81 said:

I think I'm asking when I download music does it download straight thru the power amp or does it take room up on my phone

As I said before, Poweramp does not do any downloading at all. It plays music files that have already been downloaded or otherwise saved to your device's local storage (e.g. ripped from your own CDs) which it indexes into a local Library database so you can find everything easily, build playlists, etc. I have a 200GB SD Card in my phone for example, which is plenty for my own day-to-day music collection needs anyway.

I think you probably meant to ask about streaming though, which is not the same as downloading. With streamed audio, a commercial app (e.g. Spotify, Amazon Music, or YouTube Music) receives some transient music sent from its associated cloud-based service, and it plays that music without ever making the full file available locally on your device. Poweramp is not such an app though - it is a music player, not a music streamer.

Poweramp does have the ability to play continuously-broadcasting internet radio stations though, using their Shoutcast-style HTTP URL. However like any other radio station, you hear whatever they are currently playing rather than being able to chose specific songs.

Andre